There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Alone Othawa male roaming western sector :

6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-18-2020, 12:49 AM)239Pu Wrote: he has a smooth efficient gait , most adult males have a lumbering strenuous gait  . why do people prefer the name Othawa to Nguvu ? is this highlighted area the western sector ?

He is called Othawa male by all rangers and peoples in Sabi Sands, Nguvu is "fan" name.

Yes, thats western sector.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

" After searching for lions for a good part of the morning, we found them after they attempted to hunt, sending a large herd of buffalo careening through the thicket and letting us know where they were in the process. The buffalo herd was very on edge, as the lions stayed close behind them, waiting patiently for another opportunity. "

6 users Like Spalea's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-18-2020, 12:49 AM)239Pu Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 08:22 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Alone Othawa male roaming western sector :

he has a smooth efficient gait , most adult males have a lumbering strenuous gait  . why do people prefer the name Othawa to Nguvu ? is this highlighted area the western sector ?

*This image is copyright of its original author

Yes this is the western sector.

If you look carefully in this map, Savanna Private Game Reserve Is located in the (8) on the top of Newington gate.
2 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the older Othawa lionesses "Auntie" 
Credit: Craig Parsons

4 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-18-2020, 03:03 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Yes this is the western sector.

If you look carefully in this map, Savanna Private Game Reserve Is located in the (8) on the top of Newington gate.

Yea, but on this videos by Savanna Game Reserve, they are filming thru all western sector pretty much, not only Savanna.

Pakistan Alex Morala Offline

Othawa Male was seen near savanna camp as you can see in the map savanna camp is closer to singita boundary.
2 users Like Alex Morala's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-18-2020, 01:21 PM)Alex Morala Wrote: Othawa Male was seen near savanna camp as you can see in the map savanna camp is closer to singita boundary.

Yes Othawa male and Mhangenis are usually seen in south of western sector..

Pakistan Alex Morala Offline

Atch the video again.. Ranger mentions savanna camp where they heard lions roaring during the night. They woke up and find Othawa Male near the camp looking skittish and nervous. After finding the Othawa pride, they figure out what exactly might have happened after analysing the tracks. Othawa pride responded to what was happening near the camp and then headed back. Othawa Male perhaps came to investigate what has happened during the night. Didn't roar or scent mark as per the ranger. Rather he was looking strange.
3 users Like Alex Morala's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Kambula pride:

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-18-2020, 12:27 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 03:03 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Yes this is the western sector.

Yea, but on this videos by Savanna Game Reserve, they are filming thru all western sector pretty much, not only Savanna.

Yes.

I know but always is great to have an idea where is located the lodge.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the new Unknown males seen on MalaMala Game Reserve
Credit: Ranger nic nel
July 2020

4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The Othawa male lion!
Credit: James Tyrell (Instagram Story)

7 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Nkuhuma cubs are recovering well from mange, and looking much better on WildEarth Safari :

Anything can change fast, but for now without any challengers on sight, it seems that N. Avocas will succesfully raise their first offspring in Talamati and Nkuhuma prides..
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-19-2020, 06:51 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Nkuhuma cubs are recovering well from mange, and looking much better on WildEarth Safari :

Anything can change fast, but for now without any challengers on sight, it seems that N. Avocas will succesfully raise their first offspring in Talamati and Nkuhuma prides..
Anyone knows how many males are there?
2 users Like T I N O's post