There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-29-2020, 11:41 PM by Tr1x24 )

(06-29-2020, 11:11 PM)Dreadlocks Wrote: If they are new males, you are right about their way to singita, Simbambili from Manyeleti. who they can be? if i am not mistaken koppies or skorro pride are 3 sub adult males.

Koppies had 1 young male, but i dont think its him.. 

Skorro pride subadults are much younger and way north around Orpen Gate and Ngala, with and adult lioness.. So they are not either im 100% sure.. 

There are few known nomadic males/lions around that area of southern Manyeleti, possibly Mluwati Concession.. 

As i said already, that young male who was seen with female, Tintswalo also reported that they never seen them before, they most likely came from Mluwati Concession.. 

Also theres 3 nomadic young males from Mluwati Concession, 2 males are older, while 1 is younger, they where seen in Manyeleti few months ago, where beaten by Mbiri pride over a kill,this is them in February :

*This image is copyright of its original author

Skybed sons also venture in the southern Manyeleti, 1 was seen few months ago there.. 

It might be even 3 out of 5 Nharus, but thats less likely.. 

We'll see, i hope that we will se them up close..
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom Hairy tummy Offline

Either way its always brilliant to see new lions
4 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Czech Republic Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Michael Laubscher: " Remember... Where ever there is light, you can photograph."

4 users Like Spalea's post

Czech Republic Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

" Heading out early yesterday morning and following the sounds of some vocalising lions, we arrived close to the area where impala were alarm calling giving away their position and saw 6 lions emerge from the bushes, feeling very playful but on the move. "

6 users Like Spalea's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Crazy yesterday at Kirkmans Kamp, rangers found 4 lions and 16 hyenas around the kill, it seems that 3 young Sand River lions had and kill when they where interrupted by clan of hyenas:

But the kill at the end claimed bigger male lion, Dreadlocks from the DeLaporte coalition, who at the end walked away with a piece of a kill, leaving the rest for hyenas :

7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Georgia Dreadlocks Offline

Ntsevu pride and one of Bboys kill waterbuck Cheetah plains area. https://www.instagram.com/p/CCLOt1BArRb/
7 users Like Dreadlocks's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Plains Camp at Sabi Sabi:

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

https://blog.londolozi.com/2020/07/04/update-tsalala-female-and-cub/?fbclid=IwAR2BadkMQBILgYdfxyPuiNbILpG-gfKstAawIN6CQEZaI1YeS-V-ml32Siw

Update: Tsalala Female and Cub

The Tsalala female is a lioness that continues to defy the odds. We follow her story as closely as nature allows, and like a lot of people who have read about her or seen her we continue to try and track her progress in the raising of her sole cub who is now about 15 months old. We watched the terrifying scenes of her being attacked by the Ntsevu Pride on the banks of the Sand River and held our collective breaths as we waited the few days to see if her cub had survived the fight. The fact that that they both did and did so without sustaining any noticeable long term injuries was nothing short of remarkable.

We do not see them as often as we would like to due to the nature of the territory in which they spend most of their time which is along the banks of the Sand River. The thick riverine vegetation, meandering water channels and numerous granite boulders that make up this stunningly beautiful landscape are not too Land Rover friendly and simply put there are just some parts of it that we just cannot get to. It’s a great territory for a lion though because there is lots of prey for them to hunt along the river and with an almost constant supply of water all year round it’s really just other lions and hyenas that the Tsalala female has to worry about.

We came across the two of them a few days ago as they rested on one of the high riverbanks and it was actually the first sighting that I had had of the pair together in quite some time. They were both looking well fed and healthy and any superficial wounds that the mother had picked up from the Ntsevu Pride a few weeks back had healed very well. It was quite the vantage point that they had over the river that afternoon and watching them just lie there got me thinking about what the future may hold for this small pride of two.

The Tsalala female lies on the banks of the Sand River. It’s hard to believe that there are no lasting injuries from her fight with the Ntsevu pride a few weeks back.

T[i]he cub of the Tsalala female is about 15 months old and luckily it is a female because there is a good chance she will stay with her mother after independence and hopefully have cubs of her own to help the Tsalala Pride grow.[/i]
[i]
[/i]

[i]The fact that the cub had been fathered by the Birmingham males I think had worked in the mother’s favour during the fight she had had with the Ntsevu Pride. One of the males had been right there during the heat of the moment and had, at times, directed his aggression to some of the Ntsevu lionesses, slightly reducing their aggression. The increased presence of the Northern Avoca males could potentially be her next threat as they could be looking to challenge the Birmingham Males in the months ahead for some more territory and their females. With her cub currently at the age that she is, it means that she is not old enough to mate yet and this could mean that incoming males, whoever they may be, might want to get rid of her in order to bring the mother back into oestrus. The Othawa male also could pose the same danger to her and the cub as we have seen him once or twice in that same area.[/i]

[i]O[i]ne of the Birmingham males looks on as some of the Ntsevu Pride lie in the open in front of him.[/i][/i]
[i][i]
[/i]
[/i]

[i][i]T[i]he two Northern Avoca male lions are being seen on Londolozi a lot more and we cannot help but wonder whether they will start to challenge the two Birmingham males for more territory and females.[/i][/i][/i]
[i][i][i]
[/i]
[/i]
[/i]

[i][i][i][i]The Othawa Male has also been seen on one or two occasions recently and he could also be a threat to the Tsalala cub at this stage.[/i][/i][/i][/i]
[i][i][i][i]
[/i]
[/i]
[/i]
[/i]

[i][i][i][i]The best case scenario for us would be if she continues to protect her daughter for about another year from male lions because then the daughter could start mating and if the two of them stayed together, which is quite likely, they could have cubs at the same time. The Tsalala Pride has been a well known pride of lions on Londolozi for decades now but for the last few years they have been hanging on by the skin of their teeth with this last remaining female and her cub the only chance the pride has of regrowing.[/i][/i][/i][/i]

[i][i][i][i][i]The Tsalala Pride from a few years back. We are hoping that in in about 2 years time the pride might look like this again.[/i][/i][/i][/i][/i]

To be able to watch the lion dynamics change on the reserve over the years is an incredible privilege and many a long night has been spent around the campfire discussing and speculating what it all means. The story of the Tsalala female is literally the closest to home for us because there have been many sightings of the two of them wandering the riverbed in front of the various lodge decks. We are all rooting for her and hope in the years to come to see a much bigger Tsalala Pride patrolling the Sand River and beyond.
7 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

2 unknown young males in north MalaMala :

Those are 2 out of 3 young males that where seen in Singita few days ago, its unknown from where they came from, most likely east from Kruger. 

They where seen around Mlowati Dam which is N. Avocas territory..
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Sand River young male in Kirkmans Kamp :

6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Malamala give info about 2 young males, they are not the same 3 that where seen in Singita :

Thats quite alot young males roaming around Sabi Sands, this 2 unknown coalitions, Styx/nkuhuma males, Plains Camp males, N'ws and Sand River males.. Exciting times..

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Plains Camp subadults

We left the lodge and headed towards an open area where we saw a herd of buffalo, wildebeest and giraffes looking towards the road, snorting. We followed up and found 2 male lions watching the buffalo who began to move on but the lions paid more attention to the giraffe, with one of the males chasing the giraffe while his brother sat and watched him. The giraffe moved on and we followed the lions for a little while longer before losing them in the thicket.

6 users Like Potato's post

United Kingdom Hairy tummy Offline

That is some brilliant photography

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Older Kambula subadults with the youngest cubs:

Older subadults will spend more and more time alone as they get older and will be able to hunt on their own, and i think that in a span of atleast half a year to a year, they will mostly hang out on their own, they will be just too big for pride to sustain food lvl for all, especially if the new cubs come, as some lionesses are coming back to estrus it seems..

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The youngest lioness from the Sand River pride yawns as the sun drifts  below the horizon.

Recently the two Avoca male lions have been seen with the pride, and they seem to be comfortable having the young lioness around. This could be great news for this pride going forward, with three adult lionesses left to help rebuild this once burgeoning group of lions.

6 users Like Potato's post