There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(03-31-2020, 02:44 AM)239Pu Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 09:28 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 09:01 PM)Potato Wrote: The presence of Sand River male within Salati pride may come in handy in such situations. I hope he will stick with those two females from some time.

Agree, hope he sticks with them. 

Photos of young Sand River male (Mantimahles son) with Southern pride lionesses :

*This image is copyright of its original author

This boy will be hugee, this is him alongside 5th Mantimahle in October 2019:

He lost some condition as he is nomad now, as 5th Mantimahle abandon them, and their mothers left with S. Avocas, hope he makes it, it will be hard, i think he is around 2.5 - 3 yrs old (no more then 3).

No info about his 5 sisters and 2 brothers (1 brother was seen with him in Sabi Sabi not long ago).
I read somewhere that a Lion can be identified by the spots on his nose because they are permanent . If that is true that is not the same Lion . or do I not understand nose spots ?
Whisker-patterns for lions are unique, a bit like fingerprints. In some pictures, you can't fully see the pattern because of the angle or if the body hairs around the whiskers aren't fully settled. As far as I know, the 5th mantimahle stays with one of the prides in kruger, so the young male in sabi sabi isn't the same as the young male pictured next to the 5th mantimahle.
3 users Like sik94's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-31-2020, 03:02 AM)sik94 Wrote: Whisker-patterns for lions are unique, a bit like fingerprints. In some pictures, you can't fully see the pattern because of the angle or if the body hairs around the whiskers aren't fully settled. As far as I know, the 5th mantimahle stays with one of the prides in kruger, so the young male in sabi sabi isn't the same as the young male pictured next to the 5th mantimahle.

5th Mantimahle abandoned Sand River pride 4-5 months ago, 2 adult females went with S. Avocas and have cubs now with them, while 8 subadults (5 females and 3 males) went nomadic.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-31-2020, 02:44 AM)239Pu Wrote: I read somewhere that a Lion can be identified by the spots on his nose because they are permanent . If that is true that is not the same Lion . or do I not understand nose spots ?

This are 3 subadult males from Sand River pride with their sisters in Kruger 4 - 5 months ago:

This are 2 Sand River males seen in Sabi Sabi, now only 1 :

This is the same male:

So if this male isnt the one in Sabi Sabi, then they are other 2 males in the first photo. 

Or another possibility, they where 5 subadult males, but only 3 where reported to be nomadic with theirs 5 sisters, maybe other 2 are still alive, and they are those 2 in Sabi Sabi.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

This is picture of Sand River male that is atm in Sabi Sabi from June 2019:

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-31-2020, 09:27 PM by Potato )

(03-31-2020, 01:48 AM)sik94 Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 01:24 AM)sundarbans Wrote: How have the Mhangeni increased to 6 members? A year or so back they were down to 3 from the original Tsalala Breakaway pride. Where did the new lionesses come from? If they are cubs of the original lionesses, who sired them and how old are they?

2 females of the 12 sub-adults fathered by the majingalane were able to join their mothers.

+ subadult female sired by Birmingham males about 1,5 years old.
2 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Nkuchuma male at Savanna Game Reserve

3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-01-2020, 12:49 AM by Tr1x24 )

(03-31-2020, 09:51 PM)Potato Wrote: Nkuchuma male at Savanna Game Reserve

Boy is looking in great condition, best i've seen him since he got ousted from the pride, his mane is starting to grown again slowly. 

Ranger said that he was seen with his sister past days, but prob got separeted in the night, he said that tracks of other pride (Styx pride) was seen, so they might be cause of the split, they will prob reunite later.

It seems that western sector is heaven for nomadic lions and prides, as old Hairy Belly and Othawas are not as active and strong in numbers as other coalitions/prides.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Bangladesh sundarbans Offline

(03-31-2020, 01:48 AM)sik94 Wrote: 2 females of the 12 sub-adults fathered by the majingalane were able to join their mothers.

I am so glad to hear that. I was under the impression that all the 12 Mhangeni subadults had died. Particularly happy that the Majingilane bloodline is being carried on by these females. What is the pride's situation in terms of cubs though? How many and sired by who?
1 user Likes sundarbans's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(04-01-2020, 01:29 AM)sundarbans Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 01:48 AM)sik94 Wrote: 2 females of the 12 sub-adults fathered by the majingalane were able to join their mothers.

I am so glad to hear that. I was under the impression that all the 12 Mhangeni subadults had died. Particularly happy that the Majingilane bloodline is being carried on by these females. What is the pride's situation in terms of cubs though? How many and sired by who?

Majingalane bloodline is all over sabi sands anyway so the mhangeni 12 weren't the sole careers of Majingalane bloodline. Currently they are hanging with the Ottawa male, another Majingalane offspring. The pride had a litter sired by said male but those cubs didn't survive.
3 users Like sik94's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-01-2020, 11:32 PM by Tr1x24 )

Sand River young male left Sabi Sabi and Southern pride lionesses, and was now seen in Kirkmans Kamp:

Also, 3 lions on a kill in Sabi Sabi, its hard to indetify who it is, it might be 2 S. Avocas or more likely based on mane size N'ws (if the 3rd lion who is lying down is male, then this are N'ws) :

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Looks like nwaswishaka

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-02-2020, 12:44 AM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Looks like nwaswishaka

Yes, its confirmed that those where Nwaswishakas.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

A Southern Pride lioness feeds on the zebra kill she made this morning.
Posted by: Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve.
Date: March 31, 2020.

3 users Like Cunaguaro's post

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

It's a huge lost after one of southern pride (the older one) passed away after the fight with Mhangheni pride. RIP Queen!
Confirmed by: Sabi Sabi Game Reserve.
Photo by: Andries Ndlovu.

Disappointed
1 user Likes Cunaguaro's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-03-2020, 09:34 AM by Tr1x24 )

(04-03-2020, 01:47 AM)Cunaguaro Wrote: It's a huge lost after one of southern pride (the older one) passed away after the fight with Mhangheni pride. RIP Queen!
Confirmed by: Sabi Sabi Game Reserve.
Photo by: Andries Ndlovu.

Very sad news, she was seen limping before, so she prob couldn't run away.. 

I think this lioness is sister of Selati males, born in 2007 and sired by Golf Course males.

Remaining lioness is her niece, born ~ 2015/16 ,sired by Fourways/Charlestons.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post