There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-04-2024, 12:23 AM by Ngonya )

(09-03-2024, 10:29 PM)afortich Wrote: Mostly agree with what you said above my friend except for the part that 1 PCM by himself would take on Khanya, this scenario I would have to see. 

Khanya/Talamati appears not to be easily intimidated by other lions.
i dont want to be offensive but in fact im just curious...
What makes you guys think Khanya/Talamati is a formidable lion that stands a chance against PCM? 
Its not even close (IMO)

(09-04-2024, 12:00 AM)Vengeous Wrote: But this only happened because the Kambulas, who are just over a year younger than them
quite scary and surprising when you think about it. PCMs are miles ahead. 

(09-04-2024, 12:00 AM)Vengeous Wrote: If the Kambulas had held their ground, perhaps there'd still be 10 Mangheni cubs and we wouldn't be so worried about Tsalala's cubs. 
Im not sure about Mangheni because i heard people saying the PCMs were absent that even before getting in touch with Nkuhuma...
But yes i dont think Plains Camp males would try to expand north in such bold and quite equivocated behavior if there were any strong males there.
As you say the Kambulas didnt even try to put up a fight and all their progress trying to takeover Nkuhuma was gone, just like that.

(09-04-2024, 12:00 AM)Vengeous Wrote: The guide who witnessed and first produced videos of the encounter mentioned that the PCMs chased the Ndhzengas ("dominating the show") until the Ndhzengas eventually pushed them back, and it seems like the territorial lines were maintained.
great sharing of info.
I remember reading about the PCM being said to be dominating the persecution for most of the time but i really couldnt prove it.
I may be crazy but the author said that on tik tok too  Laughing gotta check that!

Anyways, i think saying the PCMs are overrated is actually prove they are not.
As Tr1x said, the facts disagree with you people.

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-04-2024, 05:38 AM by afortich )

Quote:i dont want to be offensive but in fact im just curious...
What makes you guys think Khanya/Talamati is a formidable lion that stands a chance against PCM? 
Its not even close (IMO)

My friend @Ngonya I don't think that Khanya is a lion way, way, way out of the ordinary. I believe that any lion with self-confidence, not backing off and ready to engage in fights, if necessary, will always be giving a hard fight to any challenger. For example: Red Road male, Imbali/S8 that rest in peace, etc.

All I see is that Khanya appears to be a tough lion similar to those mentioned according to some facts. For instance, the few times that there were confrontations between S8 and DM Avoca backed by his sons, it was Khanya the one appearing with fight marks. Additionally, it looks like that he doesn't care whether to be alone or with a partner because many times Khanya didn't join DM with his brother and took his own path (confidence on himself).

Furthermore, if I remember correctly, a few weeks ago he was alone roaring back at the roars of either the Kambula boys, or, other lions in the area nearby. Additionally, a few months ago there was an altercation in which Khanya showed up with fight marks and his brother got nothing (there were rumors of said altercation was with the PCMs). Therefore, I believe he does not easily back off a confrontation and will give a great fight regardless the end result.

If any of these facts are not accurate, please feel free to correct me.

Question: what do you mean with IMO??
1 user Likes afortich's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

@afortich IMO = in my opinion
3 users Like NLAL11's post

Contributor

(09-04-2024, 01:56 AM)NLAL11 Wrote: @afortich IMO = in my opinion

Thank you bro, I'm not good with acronyms  Lol
2 users Like afortich's post

Ngonya Offline

(09-04-2024, 01:34 AM)afortich Wrote: Therefore, I believe he does not easily back off a confrontation and will give a great fight regardless the end result.
I understand and agree, he would definitly give a fight if he needed to. Bold boy for his age, confidence is great.
Admirable lion no doubts.
Anyways lets hope that fight wont ever happen. Afterall any of the PCM would highly likely emerge as the winner.
Experience, size, strenght... And they definitly got the confidence too!
2 users Like Ngonya's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(09-04-2024, 02:01 AM)afortich Wrote:
(09-04-2024, 01:56 AM)NLAL11 Wrote: @afortich IMO = in my opinion

Thank you bro, I'm not good with acronyms  Lol

NP, NBD
2 users Like NLAL11's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-04-2024, 06:49 AM by afortich )

(09-04-2024, 03:17 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(09-04-2024, 01:34 AM)afortich Wrote: Therefore, I believe he does not easily back off a confrontation and will give a great fight regardless the end result.
I understand and agree, he would definitly give a fight if he needed to. Bold boy for his age, confidence is great.
Admirable lion no doubts.
Anyways lets hope that fight wont ever happen. Afterall any of the PCM would highly likely emerge as the winner.
Experience, size, strenght... And they definitly got the confidence too!

Agree with you bro and also hoping that fight will never happen. In a 1x1 fight with one of the PCMs, it's not so clear for me to pick a winner at this time, would need to see more.
1 user Likes afortich's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Mantimahle boys:

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

New job for Gijimas, 2 new young males entered their territory and got on the trail of Southern Pride, not sure if these 2 are again 2 S65/Charleston sons, or some other ones:

8 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ngonya Offline

(09-04-2024, 07:21 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: not sure if these 2 are again 2 S65/Charleston sons
yes its them. They are looking really impressive 

Southern pride was recently trailed by Nkhulus and now by this boys, better be careful.
Ecen thought i doubt anyone would be trouble for Gijimas right kos
3 users Like Ngonya's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-04-2024, 10:17 PM)Ngonya Wrote: yes its them. They are looking really impressive

These guys where not long ago seen all the way at Pretoriuskop, they are moving fast.

(09-04-2024, 10:17 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Southern pride was recently trailed by Nkhulus and now by this boys

SP are furthest south, so they are first on the "impact" when intruders arrive.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States adamstocks16 Offline

If those boys continue with their visits to Sabi Sands, Gijimas may start to come under some serious pressure. They’ve done well to hold off and even dominate the Nkhulus on some occasions but having to contend with other ambitious young males at the same time might just prove too much for them.
2 users Like adamstocks16's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

One thing we also need to consider is that whoever is going to leave will likely be displaced elsewhere else into Sabi Sands. So this may have ramifications for other groups aswell.
4 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Mapokser Online
Contributor

@Vengeous I agree with basically everything you said, if things went slightly different I think the PCM could still be seen as good pride males.

I also already knew that PCM were dominating most of the clash and of course Ndhzengas had more to lose and would put more of an effort, as well as I think they have similar strength.

Still, I think the Gijimas are in a similar position to PCM, a huge territory with Southern, Msuthu and Styx prides, but they give the impression of doing a much better job. They chase and deal with every single threat quickly and for good, and despite not visiting the Southern Pride often anymore, they're still close by and have chased Nkhulus and the Charleston sons from the Southern Pride territory... That not to say the fact they spared the Southern and Styx subs which was of extreme importance for the local population, meanwhile the PCM are known for killing many subadults and lionesses, even the OM daughter if they had not killed her when the pride already accepted them, she'd be as old as the Othawas now and the pride would be much stronger having 4 lionesses, and they'd have more cubs, same with Chela and the NK pride.

The southern parts of Singita and the Western Sector feels empty of PCM presence and the Mangheni pride looks very vulnerable, with Tumbela hanging around and NK/Talamati even marking the territory and might bump onto Manghenis at any point. It also feels that Tsalala has no protection and the Nkuhumas definitely don't as well, spending more time with other males like Mohawk and BDM than with PCM... Who will protect the NK cubs from Mohawk, BDM, Kambulas and Mantimahle?

I could also add the Ndhzengas to the mix, a huge territory, most of Londolozi and at least 2/3 of MalaMala, 2 prides and both get a lot of attention, also Ndhzengas protect the entire territoty well. Granted they abandoned the Styx and Southern prides back in the day, but at least for now, with Kambula/Ntsevu, they are doing a much better job than the PCM despite the Kambula cubs being much older than the Manghenis.

Only the Ximhungwe pride looks like a stable pride with male lion protections in the West.
5 users Like Mapokser's post

United States Gajaw Offline
New Join

Sabi Sands is doing great with these 6 leaders!!  All 6!  There are tons of cubs even sub adults making buffalo kills.  Lets give them all some credit.  PCM males are doing what dominate aggressive males do especially at their age.  The prides in the South are lucky to have such great leaders!!  The real issue is 90% of Sabi Sands is controlled by 3 pairs and thats too much territory for them to cover!  So nomadic males can easily come in and out and even live in their territory.  We love some of those nomadic males so its a cool thing in a way.  But it does put cubs and females at risk some times.  But it does not mean the dominate males are bad - in fact I think they are some of best  all around male lions ever on Sabi Sands.
6 users Like Gajaw's post