There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lions of Manyeleti

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The Tintswalo males and the Mbiri pride with two cubs at Honeyguide Tented Safari Camp in Manyeleti Game Reserve. 
Photo courtesy of: Jenna Packwood

*This image is copyright of its original author

7 users Like Timbavati's post

RookiePundit Offline

It is quite strange, if anything Manyeleti is emptier than before - Koppies pride gone, Skorro Breakaway could be too, or at least are probably elsehwere, Skorro I don't know about being sighted regularly, Orpen males gone, it is mostly just Mbiti, Nharus, Tintswalos, Red Road, Talamatis (+ Dark Manes) at times and more recently Imbalis and whatever the male situation with is. Plus the bigger Mbiri males made a visit. 

I get that Nharus are succesful with raising cubs so far and could bolster the numbers (if that generations stays put), but in general I believe we thought earlier this year Manyeleti is quite empty. Space wise at least, I don't know how much prey there is (interesting that most lions are shifting more and more south in Manyeleti, are northern parts barren?), maybe the poaching problem has something to do with it.

To me it sounds like a way to reduce inbreeding as it is likely applied to Mbiri females having related Tintswalo around them, but at the same time it is not a given they would tolerate them as mating partners (3 lionesses were all over the Mbiri big boy, though; although he is not much more distant relative either), but they might know something we don't. I hope it is a temporary thing and it won't function beyond its time slot.
5 users Like RookiePundit's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(07-21-2021, 06:30 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Mchile? I believe 

Mandevu "The bigger-maned Tintswalo male,,
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(07-22-2021, 04:31 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: It is quite strange, if anything Manyeleti is emptier than before - Koppies pride gone, Skorro Breakaway could be too, or at least are probably elsehwere, Skorro I don't know about being sighted regularly, Orpen males gone, it is mostly just Mbiti, Nharus, Tintswalos, Red Road, Talamatis (+ Dark Manes) at times and more recently Imbalis and whatever the male situation with is. Plus the bigger Mbiri males made a visit. 

I get that Nharus are succesful with raising cubs so far and could bolster the numbers (if that generations stays put), but in general I believe we thought earlier this year Manyeleti is quite empty. Space wise at least, I don't know how much prey there is (interesting that most lions are shifting more and more south in Manyeleti, are northern parts barren?), maybe the poaching problem has something to do with it.

To me it sounds like a way to reduce inbreeding as it is likely applied to Mbiri females having related Tintswalo around them, but at the same time it is not a given they would tolerate them as mating partners (3 lionesses were all over the Mbiri big boy, though; although he is not much more distant relative either), but they might know something we don't. I hope it is a temporary thing and it won't function beyond its time slot.

There are just a few areas in the Greater Kruger National Park where the lion population has growth in numbers in the recent years. Sabi Sands, Klaserie and Timbavati
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(07-22-2021, 07:14 PM)Timbavati Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 06:30 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Mchile? I believe 

Mandevu "The bigger-maned Tintswalo male,,

Thanks!
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-22-2021, 09:32 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-22-2021, 07:27 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Thanks!

Nope, its Mchile indeed.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

8 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-23-2021, 08:01 PM by Tr1x24 )

So those 2 Talamati females have his cubs right? I dont see him protecting them if the cubs is not his, i think he was seen mating with Talamati females around March/April, correct? 

Its remarkable to see how N. Avocas pushing down south in the past year or so has effect all the way to Manyeleti, DM moved further south, and Imbali male on his territory around southern Manyeleti which lead to Imbali pride following him, just as Nkuhumas follow Avocas. 

Current dynamics between Bboys - N. Avocas and DM - Imbali male and their prides are quite similar..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Just the one female it looks like, she has suckle marks whilst the other female had a flat stomach.

Yeah he was photographed mating with the older female March 13th and we got word she had given birth on July 11, the dates definitely fit the gestation period!
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Gijima Offline

(07-23-2021, 07:59 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: So those 2 Talamati females have his cubs right? I dont see him protecting them if the cubs is not his, i think he was seen mating with Talamati females around March/April, correct? 

Its remarkable to see how N. Avocas pushing down south in the past year or so has effect all the way to Manyeleti, DM moved further south, and Imbali male on his territory around southern Manyeleti which lead to Imbali pride following him, just as Nkuhumas follow Avocas. 

Current dynamics between Bboys - N. Avocas and DM - Imbali male and their prides are quite similar..

I don’t see any similarities between what Mohawk/ Blondie and the situation between DM and Imbali at all. Since January, DM has been spending more time in the south. In fact there has been a huge vacuum in that area for months now. Also I don’t think he’s has even been that interested in the Talamatis for ages although he does meet up with them. These natural instincts are in lions so they don’t just stay with the same pride and inbreed. This pressure is exactly what he needs, even if he doesn’t want it, and to be honest in my opinion is good for his future. There is no future for him trying to stay with his adult daughters from a reproductive stand point. 

Mohawk and Blondie are pushing out males who want to stay and have no back up territories or prides.

Finally, the paternity of the cubs doesnt matter, only who thinks the cubs are theirs. The three older lionesses avoid him and continue to take care of the subs but eventually will accept him if they have no other options.
2 users Like Gijima's post

Gijima Offline

(07-23-2021, 08:12 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Just the one female it looks like, she has suckle marks whilst the other female had a flat stomach.

Yeah he was photographed mating with the older female March 13th and we got word she had given birth on July 11, the dates definitely fit the gestation period!

She gave birth third week of June but the cubs were seen on the 11.
2 users Like Gijima's post

Gijima Offline

(07-23-2021, 09:00 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-23-2021, 08:25 PM)Gijima Wrote: Mohawk and Blondie are pushing out males who want to stay and have no back up territories or prides.

I dont think DM has either back up pride (yet) if he loses Talamatis, he is seen regulary around Arathusa/Elephant Plains and recently even further south, but he was never seen in all those sighting with Nkuhumas or his brothers.

People think that he will link up with Nkuhumas if his brothers takeover Kambulas, but i dont think females will accept him near subs (even rangers said on WE that Nkuhumas run away from DM roars towards other 2 Avocas) until they made into estrus again, which wont be prob for another year or so.

You're mixing up with a lion chooses to do vs. what he can do. Dark Mane can link up with the Nkuhumas or his brothers at any time during the past few years but he chose not to. Even in his interaction with Mohawk they ran into each other by accident... DM has never tried to actively join his brothers but only interacted with the NKs because they were ready to mate. 

Secondly, I have seen at least three sighting of DM with an Nkuhuma after his argument with Mohawk. He stays for short bouts because no females are back in estrus and then leaves. WE's guides stories aside. 

Finally this is silly argument. When a lion has a need, he will do whatever it takes to survive. Dark Mane's own worst enemy is himself because he has a loner personality, but with the right motivation he will go south and do what he needs to to reunite with him brothers and pride. This is why pressure is good... young males need pressure to leave pride. DM needs pressure to move on as well.
1 user Likes Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

One Eyed male spotted in Manyeleti :

Photo Credits : nicolo.decarlo

Its the same guy indeed seen with DM in late 2020, prob with Ximhungwes and having scrap with 2 Skybeds few months ago :

Seeing him in Manyeleti means that it was him prob who was seen with Imbali male and trying to follow Talamatis recently.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Does anyone have close up photo of Imbali male with whisker spots clearly visiable?
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(07-24-2021, 02:48 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Does anyone have close up photo of Imbali male with whisker spots clearly visiable?

How about this? 

4 users Like lionuk's post