There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Lions in South-Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia

Switzerland Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Marlon du Toit: " Portrait of a Madikwe King.

Many will ask if the branch across the face bothers me, & if I’ll “photoshop” it. It’s a good question.
I seldom dive into Ps to fix up images like this. For the most part, I believe that when I photograph wildlife within their natural environments, this is bound to happen. As much as I don’t have control over what these animals will do (or not do), I certainly can’t control the movement of a blade of grass.
Yes, I’d probably prefer for it to be gone but at the end of the day, it’s a magnificent male lion within his natural environment, pretty special within it’s own right.
Sony A7R4 + Sony 185 f1.8 GM
ISO 4000, f1.8, 1/640 sec."

2 users Like Spalea's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor

A lion cub that got carried up into the trees by a male baboon for grooming in Kruger National Park is feared dead: https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/...CY5viZWsAs

Credit: Kurt Schultz

*This image is copyright of its original author

Wildanimal Lover

David Yarrow: " Working with a wide-angle lens from a cage in a river in lion territory is an abnormal way to spend the day, and a very low percentage way to take a photograph of note. Lions do jump, but it is not common and even when they do, there is little chance of a camera catching the leap well.⁣

A retrospective of my files would suggest that in 10 years I have only had two successful days. This January I had my second moment that transcended. Nikon has made my life easier over those years with the super-fast D5 camera, but most of all, I want to thank Kevin Richardson (@lionwhisperersa) - without whom this type of image could not even be considered.⁣
I want the lion to look magnificent - why otherwise take on the brief? So many things have to combine for the cigar shot, but I think with this spectacular frame we can allow ourselves the cigar.⁣
Kevin’s sanctuary in South Africa has given me many moments over the years and as our trust of each other has grown, so have the opportunities. There is no doubt that my work has improved. I am proud to be an Ambassador for his foundation. "

4 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Peet Strydom: " The reason why I will return to Kgalagadi again and again. "

Wildanimal Lover

Howard Cleland: " Two brothers doing the morning run in the South. "

6 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Pie Aerts: " Apart from luck, the right gear & good sense of anticipation, wildlife photography is all about working with the best people in the business.
When arriving @makanyilodge we knew straight from the start it was gonna be a special one. Being the first lodge in Greater Kruger that offers game drives with full electric converted Land Rovers allowed us to silently sneak through the bushes observing the most beautiful animals from up close while enjoying the sound of grazing elephants and a light summer drizzle. Honestly, such a game changer for photographers & videographers, being silent and vibration free as well as being carbon neutral and so much better for this fragile eco system. On top of that, they only allow a certain amount of vehicles into the reserve each day which means it’s oftentimes just you and the animals, not a single other car around. "

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor

Massive lions from Kgalagadi ('Kalahari') Transfrontier Park (shared by northwest South Africa, southwest Botswana and southern Namibia), Etosha National Park (northern Namibia) and Sesfontein Conservancy (northern Namibia) here: https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-on-the-...#pid102182
1 user Likes BorneanTiger's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-24-2020, 09:37 PM by BorneanTiger )

Etosha National Park, northern Namibia

Namibia11:

Calips:

Mammal Watching:

Near Otjiwarongo City, northern Namibia

Greg Willis:

4 users Like BorneanTiger's post

Wildanimal Lover

Kevin Richardson: " As the Dalai Lama once stated, "Everything is interconnected."

Here in Africa we call it "Ubuntu." Thanks to our friends at @wild.ark , we can now understand that interconnectedness and focus our attention on vital connections. Of course... lions are key to our web of life.
WildArk asked the world’s leading conservation scientists to identify the flagship species that represent the world’s biodiversity, in order to prioritise conservation efforts. These scientists created a way to prioritise locations around the world that are the most important for conserving the lands and water on which we all depend – from wildlife biodiversity to natural carbon storage – and have identified the flagship species that could be used to direct fundraising into these critical landscapes. The WildArk100 is a list of 100 flagship species, and 50 global priority eco regions, underpinned by the best available science, to maximise global benefits to biodiversity.In short, it puts science behind the species we use to market and fundraise for conservation – rather than what’s popular or ‘cute’. This research sets a new precedent for organizations looking to leverage funding to protect biodiversity and can be used by anyone looking to drive awareness that results in real outcomes on the ground, in this critical time for global biodiversity. To meet The WildArk100 visit their page and click link in bio!
@wild.ark #wildark100 #wildark "

5 users Like Spalea's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor

(02-26-2020, 07:42 PM)Spalea Wrote: Kevin Richardson: " As the Dalai Lama once stated, "Everything is interconnected."

Here in Africa we call it "Ubuntu." Thanks to our friends at @wild.ark , we can now understand that interconnectedness and focus our attention on vital connections. Of course... lions are key to our web of life.
WildArk asked the world’s leading conservation scientists to identify the flagship species that represent the world’s biodiversity, in order to prioritise conservation efforts. These scientists created a way to prioritise locations around the world that are the most important for conserving the lands and water on which we all depend – from wildlife biodiversity to natural carbon storage – and have identified the flagship species that could be used to direct fundraising into these critical landscapes. The WildArk100 is a list of 100 flagship species, and 50 global priority eco regions, underpinned by the best available science, to maximise global benefits to biodiversity.In short, it puts science behind the species we use to market and fundraise for conservation – rather than what’s popular or ‘cute’. This research sets a new precedent for organizations looking to leverage funding to protect biodiversity and can be used by anyone looking to drive awareness that results in real outcomes on the ground, in this critical time for global biodiversity. To meet The WildArk100 visit their page and click link in bio!
@wild.ark #wildark100 #wildark "

Just as Ahimsa (Non-violence) was Gandhi's philosophy, Ubuntu (often translated as "I am because we are") was Mandela's philosophy:

South African banknotes showing the African bush elephant, Mandela and the lion: https://www.istockphoto.com/ae/photo/thr...1-41728374

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like BorneanTiger's post

Wildanimal Lover

Jacques Schutte : " Shingwedzi magic ? "

Wildanimal Lover

Marlon du Toit: " A late afternoon spent with a lioness. She’s on the edge of the Sand River & keeping a keen eye on some unsuspecting impala nearby. "

Beautiful expression...

Wildanimal Lover

" Busanga Plains - a vast mosaic of floodplains abundant in wildlife. Read more about the unspoiled wilderness that is the secret jewel of Kafue National Park. "

Busanga Plains  is situated in Zambie in overlapping the Kafue National Park. I don't believe it worths to start a new topic about the lions in Zambie, but it's the South of Africa...
2 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Marlon du Toit: " Little can compare to time spent in the company of big cats.

On this morning we followed the dominant pride on @malamalagamereserve for a few hours. One of the best things about camps like Mala Mala, "

3 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

" Emerged from the bushes onto Letsha "

3 users Like Spalea's post