There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lion pictures and videos

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-05-2019, 06:16 PM by Rishi )

watda.. !?

3 users Like Sanju's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

3 users Like Rage2277's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(05-02-2019, 08:56 PM)Rage2277 Wrote:

For some reason that video made me remember one old footage about 3 lions swimming. This video and especially from 1:32 forward makes me smile every time I see it :) They really rely on each others.

2 users Like Shadow's post

Canada Charan Singh Offline

(04-09-2019, 06:55 PM)Lycaon Wrote: A spotted lion in lake nakuru kenya

*This image is copyright of its original author

How come this one has spots?
Is he a mix of lion and leopard?
1 user Likes Charan Singh's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@Charan Singh 

This lion just happened to retain it's spots and this population is known to have spotted lions.
2 users Like Lycaon's post

Canada Charan Singh Offline

(04-09-2019, 08:00 PM)Sanju Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 07:48 PM)Lycaon Wrote: I have also noticed that spotted lions occur, in more wet regions of africa. That have forests perhaps an adaptation to the environment.
Great, that's not a guess but it's actually true.

The marozi or "spotted lion" is variously claimed by zoologists, to be a distinct race of the lion adapted for a montane rather than savanna-dwelling existence lacking any distinguishable mane. It has been reported in the wild and the skin of a specimen exists, but it has yet to be confirmed as either a separate species or subspecies. Belgian cryptozoologist Dr Bernard Heuvelmans proposed the specific name Leo maculatus in 1955. Presently they resumed in spp status with no further research being done.

While Africans have been familiar with the animal and Europeans have reported seeing spotted lions since roughly 1904, the first documentable encounter by a European was in 1931 when Kenyan farmer Michael Trent shot and killed two individuals in the Aberdare Mountains region at an elevation of 10,000 feet (3,000 m).

Two years later, explorer Kenneth Gandar-Dower headed an expedition into the region in an attempt to capture or kill more specimens. He returned with only circumstantial evidence: three sets of tracks found at a similar elevation as Trent's lions (10,000–12,500 feet or 3,000–3,800 metres). They were believed to have been left by individuals that were tracking a herd of buffalo during a hunt, ruling out the possibility of the marozi being cubs. "ntararago" in Uganda, "ikimizi" in Rwanda, and "abasambo" in Ethiopia. 

There were other sightings around the same time:
  • Four animals sighted by Game Warden Captain R.E.Dent in the Aberdare Mountain region at an elevation of 10,000 feet (3,000 m).
  • A pair sighted on the Kinangop Plateau by G. Hamilton-Snowball at an elevation of 11,500 feet (3,500 m). They were shot at but escaped.
These couldn't be leopard - lion hybrids as no such event has ever been recorded in the wild. The two species are natural enemies and live different lifestyles, so the chance of a naturally occurring hybrid is very small and would likely lead to the leopard's death.

Genetic aberration: It is possible that the marozi was a result of a recessive gene that spread through a population of lions as a result of inbreeding. Big cats have been known to have their coats affected by recessive genes, as seen in black leopards (panthers), white tigers, white lions, and the king cheetah. A genetic mutation might result in the lion's juvenile spots being retained into adolescence or even into adulthood.

This does not explain the smaller size of the marozi and its preferred habitat of elevated, wooded areas instead of the traditional savanna habitat of other lions. The Aberdare region is home to many endemic species and subspecies.

or could be New taxon: The marozi could have been a yet-undiscovered species or subspecies of lion. The answer to this largely depends on when, if ever, a closer inspection and DNA analysis is done on the skin of the Trent specimen.

No reports of the marozi have surfaced from the Aberdare region since the 1930's and it is believed that the population has long since become extinct.

Quote:Reports of spotted lions are still fairly common throughout other parts of Africa, though.

It is utter foolishness that they had kill the lions as proof, instead of taking photographs.
2 users Like Charan Singh's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Old but nice video showing social side of lions. One of those videos making feel good when watching, that end is showing without a doubt, that there is connection.

3 users Like Shadow's post

Switzerland Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Shadow :

About #1162: good video ! Two anxious lions that meet up during the darkest moment of the night....
2 users Like Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

This video isn´t about lions only or at all. But check clip at 12:07, something funny if someone has never seen that. Of course whole video is full of fun moments but I wouldn´t have shared it without that part with lion :) I had never seen something like that to happen in wild before Grin

4 users Like Shadow's post

Wildanimal Lover

@Shadow :

About #1164: joker jackal !
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(05-10-2019, 12:43 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow :

That was hilarious and makes you think, that what on earth happens in heads of these animals. After all wild animals and that jackal knew for sure what he was doing :) That lion even waved tail so it couldn´t think, that dead lion. I hope, that that jackal lived long and good life !
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Wildanimal Lover

(05-11-2019, 05:43 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 12:43 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow :

That was hilarious and makes you think, that what on earth happens in heads of these animals. After all wild animals and that jackal knew for sure what he was doing :) That lion even waved tail so it couldn´t think, that dead lion. I hope, that that jackal lived long and good life !

Yes, I hope it too...
May be this jackal lived a childish moment... When you see some very young lion cubs playing with the adult lion's tuft of the tail in order to gain some reflex. Of course this jackal is an adult one but who knows ?

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-16-2019, 01:13 AM by Shadow )

I put these videos here @Spalea 

I see here two physically impressive and fit lions. Another for sure more battle hardened in wild, but physically both are very fit. Aslan (if I remember name right for this captive one) has amazing mane and of course for instance shoulders hidden, but that lion is also pure muscle and a very good representative to show what male lions can be in good conditions also in wildlife. When in some ways it is not good to compare wild and captive animals, I find captive individuals still good to look at, when thinking what can be possible in good conditions in wildlife.

For instance when we look at Aslan and know, that it is 255 kg, I have no trouble to believe for instance it, that some exceptional lion could be even close to 300 kg and still not just fat. My personal opinion is, that Aslan would be still quite fit if about 275 kg, if 300 kg it might be a bit overweight what comes to overall appearance. These are of course my personal thoughts, based on only to what I can see there.

Here is again this wild, should I say elite individual. Just if someone is interested and isn´t sure what we are talking about. @Pantherinae  can confirm weight of captive lion for sure and it is said also in that video by staff.

2 users Like Shadow's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

(05-16-2019, 01:13 AM)Shadow Wrote: I put these videos here @Spalea 

I see here two physically impressive and fit lions. Another for sure more battle hardened in wild, but physically both are very fit. Aslan (if I remember name right for this captive one) has amazing mane and of course for instance shoulders hidden, but that lion is also pure muscle and a very good representative to show what male lions can be in good conditions also in wildlife. When in some ways it is not good to compare wild and captive animals, I find captive individuals still good to look at, when thinking what can be possible in good conditions in wildlife.

For instance when we look at Aslan and know, that it is 255 kg, I have no trouble to believe for instance it, that some exceptional lion could be even close to 300 kg and still not just fat. My personal opinion is, that Aslan would be still quite fit if about 275 kg, if 300 kg it might be a bit overweight what comes to overall appearance. These are of course my personal thoughts, based on only to what I can see there.

Here is again this wild, should I say elite individual. Just if someone is interested and isn´t sure what we are talking about. @Pantherinae  can confirm weight of captive lion for sure and it is said also in that video by staff.

Same reaction I get from my wife
2 users Like chaos's post

Wildanimal Lover

@Shadow :

About #1168: yes, ok it's a very impressive captive male lion and you're refreshing my memory because I remind this video... It's a remarkable captive lion as concerns its weight and body dimensions, its mane too and what he was able to do in front of us, yes !

But the comparaison with the wild lion just showed below is cruel, forgive me... The wild lion's body is 0 % body fat, you can stop the picture at every second you want, you will see at any precise moment the muscles working. For exemple the abdominal muscles (abdominal sheath) are very detailed. As concerning the captive lion you only see the limit between the ribs and the flesh.

That being said, I would stay in front of this captive lion during very long moments to draw it, if I was in front of him at the Kristiansand Zoo. Because for a captive lion he's exceptionnal, I must admit that.