There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Leopard Directory

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Third leopard on this video, starting at 0:44, look what it does at 0:54, not the first time I´ve seen leopard doing something like that, but always impressive.

1 user Likes Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Typical, when seeing a photo of a leopard, which seems to be weighed and 90 kg... Photo is such, that impossible to get impression about overall size compared to human :)

http://www.africahunting.com/hunting-pictures-videos/showphoto.php?photo=11179&title=90kg-198-pound-leopard-hunted-in-south-africa&cat=501

I am not sure if this photo has or hasn´t been in some thread before, but one big boy there, sadly killed by some hunter but that is how it is.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

So much discussion about leopards lately and weights. I just started to think, that how many real cases there are, where leopard would have been proved to be over 100 kg for sure or almost sure.

This case is one, which looks like such, that @sanjay  might know more. It is said to be 113 kg, even though when looking at photo scale show 111,5 kg. Small difference, but I couldn´t help notice it Wink

Anyway this case looks like to be quite solid and very unlucky guide, those photos are brutal.

http://john1911.com/leopard-attacks-jackal-hunting-party/

And I am not here now interested about comparisons to other animals or between subspecies when asking this. There was some Indian leopard in some photo which was said to be over 100 kg and that was very fat looking leopard so maybe it is one? But I wonder if it was healthy because in that photo it didn´t look good, that belly was huge.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-14-2019, 11:02 PM)Shadow Wrote: So much discussion about leopards lately and weights. I just started to think, that how many real cases there are, where leopard would have been proved to be over 100 kg for sure or almost sure.

This case is one, which looks like such, that @sanjay  might know more. It is said to be 113 kg, even though when looking at photo scale show 111,5 kg. Small difference, but I couldn´t help notice it Wink

Anyway this case looks like to be quite solid and very unlucky guide, those photos are brutal.

And I am not here now interested about comparisons to other animals or between subspecies when asking this. There was some Indian leopard in some photo which was said to be over 100 kg and that was very fat looking leopard so maybe it is one? But I wonder if it was healthy because in that photo it didn´t look good, that belly was huge.

You're talking about the one that attacked the man?
He's not valid, the scale was off which is why he's not accepted or verified.

Game Animals of the Past and Present 113kg is 249 pounds the scale was definitely broken

You can also tell from his size that he's not in a different category 

*This image is copyright of its original author

Check this guy out though

Leon Small My client shot it with me a few years ago in Zim.

Leon Small If I remember correctly it was 82/84kg...(180/185lb)
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-15-2019, 12:21 AM by Shadow )

(05-14-2019, 11:36 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 11:02 PM)Shadow Wrote: So much discussion about leopards lately and weights. I just started to think, that how many real cases there are, where leopard would have been proved to be over 100 kg for sure or almost sure.

You're talking about the one that attacked the man?
He's not valid, the scale was off which is why he's not accepted or verified.

Game Animals of the Past and Present 113kg is 249 pounds the scale was definitely broken

You can also tell from his size that he's not in a different category 

Check this guy out though

Leon Small My client shot it with me a few years ago in Zim.

Leon Small If I remember correctly it was 82/84kg...(180/185lb)

Good that you had that information. That leopard really looked like to be small. So one case then out of question :)
And by small I meant small if thinking, that should weight over 100 kg.

United States Styx38 Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 05-21-2019, 12:11 PM by Styx38 )

Leopards can hoist kills up trees in various ecosystems:

Sri Lanka

Quote:The unsuspecting duo approached the tree and a perfectly timed leap had the leopard taking the calf in a flash while the frantic mother tried in vain to break the leopard’s stranglehold. A minute later, the female leopard scrambled up the tree with the calf held in her jaws, displaying amazing hunting skills and the awesome strength of the big cat that is pound for pound the strongest and most cunning of them all.

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/100328/Plus/plus_12.html

India

Quote:It was a gruesome yet awe-inspiring sight to see the cat take its prey up a tree for safe-keeping. The leopard then started eating the deer – a natural history moment for the record-books.

http://icampers-kedar.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-leopards-lair-kabini-nagarhole.html

Russia- Siberia

http://www.vokrugsveta.ru/vs/article/6175/

https://popgun.ru/viewtopic.php?t=164895  Is where this found, with scanned images from "Wildlife of Russia. The Far East"- Amur Leopard section

Congo

posted here:

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-rainforest-leopards?page=3

However, none of these hoist as much as the African Savanna Leopards since they don't have to deal with spotted hyenas:

Quote:Our recent study on leopard caching behaviour showed that leopards in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve typically lose a fifth of their kills to other carnivores. Spotted hyenas are the most common culprits, accounting for half of all kills lost, but leopards come in next, accounting for 40% of kills stolen.

https://www.earthtouchnews.com/natural-world/animal-behaviour/watch-leopards-lose-meal-in-a-treetop-tussle-hyena-reaps-the-rewards/

Source: Larger Carnivores of the African Savannas By Jacobus du P. Bothma, Clive Walker
4 users Like Styx38's post

United States Styx38 Offline
Banned

Leopards jumping across river crossings

3 users Like Styx38's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Here can be found some glimpses from life of one successful female leopard. Maybe still alive... who knows. Many nice photos.

https://www.grantatkinson.com/blog/the-adventures-of-a-long-lived-leopard

2 users Like Shadow's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Interesting incident. Male leopard spending time with female and cub, also playing with cub.

Whole story and more photos here:

https://blog.londolozi.com/2019/07/28/an...de49716191
3 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

The sheer brilliance of a leopard in the stalk-and-pounce is evidenced in this photo; the impala ewe was still chewing a mouthful of grass when she was hit by one of the spotted cats. No time to spit it out and run for her life, it was probably over before she knew what was happening. There’s always the chance that the grass got lodged there whilst the impala was being dragged, but the way a leopard holds a carcass to drag it (by the neck) and the area the drag mark moved through (which was essentially devoid of grass), I doubt it.

No one is quite sure what’s happening in the male leopard population at the moment.
The Flat Rock male was found much further north that he normally is, the Anderson male is looking really beaten up, the Senegal Bush male had a kill in an area the Flat Rock male usually patrols, the Mawelawela male was found on a warthog kill and was pretty unhappy with being viewed…
The only consistent one is the Inyathini male, who continues to patrol a huge area (although the dynamic between him and his son the Tortoise Pan male is still a curiosity).
We only get small glimpses into these animals lives, and have to try and come up with 90% of the picture from only 10% of the information. Therein lies half the appeal though.

Caption of photo above: "You win or you learn. This beautiful branch that was bathed in golden light was clearly where we wanted the Flat Rock male to head after feasting on an impala he had stolen from the Makomsava female. But I told my guests he sadly wouldn’t make it onto the branch as it would be too awkward for him to get there. Thanks to the angle we were parked at, I hadn’t seen the gap between two other branches that he easily clambered through to get here, making me feel a bit foolish. And then my camera battery ran out. Whoops."

These and some more interesting observations here: https://blog.londolozi.com/2019/08/02/th...647a611f32

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Leopard cub playing around with father and mother, also adults seem to play a bit with each others. Atmosphere is very relaxed. Very handsome/beautiful leopards!

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Very interesting headline:

The Nhlanguleni Coalition

Especially when it is about two female leopards.

Quote: "They are repeatedly found sharing kills that one or the other has made, and invariably when one is tracked and found, the other won’t be far away."

Whole story: https://blog.londolozi.com/2019/09/03/th...1b6b62821c
3 users Like Shadow's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2020, 04:19 PM by Luipaard )

Sorry for replying to an old post but I just wanted to clarify that, I think, you're talking about this Indian leopard named Balaji:

"Leopards generally live for 15 years in the wild and weigh about 60 kg. But Balaji was morbidly obese ever since it was trapped in the Seshachalam forests in February 1998. At the time of its capture, it weighed 113 kg The wild animal was between 10 and 12 years when it was caught. It lived in the zoo for 15 years. Weight increased to 143 kg."

1 user Likes Luipaard's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-01-2020, 01:25 PM by Shadow )

I put this here too since this is a study concerning leopard mortality.

This is one interesting study concerning leopards and lions. While leopard distribution and abundance weren´t affected by lions (at least not much), lions still killed almost 1/4 (23%) of adult leopards and over 1/5 (22%) of leopard cubs. Study area was Sabi Sands game reserve, South Africa. Demographic data concerning leopards was from 1975 to 2015.

It´s quite interesting study to read. One interesting part was, that leopards killed only 3% of lion cubs (I had thought, that it would be a bit more) and oldest lion killed by a leopard was only 7 months old cub. Worst enemy of a lion cub was another lion, lions were responsible of almost 70% of lion cub mortality themselves. What comes to adult lions, lions were responsible over 70% of adult lion mortality. So worst enemy of a lion is another lion, no matter if cub, juvenile or adult.

When looking at adult leopards, worst "enemy" of a leopard is "natural causes" (diseases, starving), then come lions and another leopard is on the third place with human caused mortality. With cubs another leopard takes the first place by approximately 50% of known cases, then come lions. And almost even with lions are combined all other species killing leopard cubs, when leopards and lions are excluded.

Mean age of lions killed by leopards was 0,22 years (range 0,08-0,58 years). Mean age of leopards killed by lions was 2,71 years (range 0,08-16,59 years).

Photos of a lioness killing a 3 years old male leopard:

An adult lioness attacks and kills a 3-year-old male leopard in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa (photo credit: Liam Rainier).

Known causes of mortality for juvenile (<2 years) and independent (≥2 years) lions and leopards in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa, from 1975 to 2015. Sample sizes are presented in parentheses. “Interspecific—other” includes animals killed by species other than lions or leopards, usually by other predators (e.g., spotted hyaenas, Nile crocodiles) or prey (e.g., buffalos, chacma baboons). “Malnutrition/disease” includes lions and leopards that were malnourished and disappeared soon after (normally old individuals (i.e., ≥16 years) or juveniles that were orphaned), as well as individuals that were known to die from disease (e.g., sarcoptic mange). “Other” includes natural causes of mortality such as drowning and fire. “Anthropogenic” includes lions and leopards killed by people, typically when they ranged beyond the reserve into surrounding communities.

Quote:"Intraguild killing

We ascertained cause of death for 52% of lion mortalities (n = 333) and 45% of leopard mortalities (n = 433) (Figure 4). Conspecifics were responsible for the greatest percentage (lion: 69%; leopard: 40%) of known-cause mortality for both species. Leopards accounted for 3% of known-cause juvenile lion deaths (n = 121); leopards were not recorded killing lions older than 7 months. Lions accounted for 22% of known-cause leopard cub deaths (n = 152) and 23% of independent (≥2 years old) leopard deaths (n = 44). The mean age of lions killed by leopards was 0.22 ± 0.12 years (range = 0.08–0.58 years), while the mean age of leopards killed by lions was 2.71 ± 0.75 years (range = 0.08–16.59 years)."

Link to the study: https://academic.oup.com/beheco/article/28/5/1348/4004701