There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kambula/Ntsevu Pride

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Kambula Pride

We continue to refer to this pride in sub-groups A-C, please see August 2022 report for the breakdown.
  • Kambula Group A was recorded three times this month. All four lionesses were at Marthly Crossing on the 11th. Just the two cubs were at the Broken Dam on the 12th. The final sighting of these four was on the 25th, when they were at the Parking Bay. We expect the mothers will come into oestrus soon, at which point the dynamics might shift to accommodate the protection of the cubs, while still mating.
  • Kambula Group B (four young males, and one sub-adult female), continue to move as a group of five. They were seen four times this month. The first time they were seen was at Manyelethi Crossing on the 12th. The group moved far north and were at 4-Ways Crossing on the 14th. They were north of Matshapiri Dam on the 15th.
  • Kambula Group C were recorded on 26 days this month. In 12 sightings, they were in the company of the Ndhzenga males. Three records were gleaned of females mating with these males. With this pride, it has become common to see lionesses alone, as well as in groups as large as eight individuals. Kapen Open Area, where the lioness gave birth at the end of last month, has remained zoned, as a result we will have to wait until January before we can give an update on the newest editions. It is worth noting that lionesses were seen in that area on the 12th, and 22nd, a good sign that they might still be keeping cubs in that area. The furthest south members of this group were seen was at Beaumont’s Camp on the 10th, when four females were with two of the Ndhzenga males. The furthest north four members were Sand Pit Crossing on the 8th.
7 users Like Tonpa's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

11 users Like afortich's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

4 Kambula males and sister seen in Londolozi, however... There're 6 lions in the video! Who could the 6th be? Some even said they could see 7 lions.

Uploader said something like "4 males, their sister and mother, I think". Could one of the 6 original Kambulas have met them by accident and decided to hangout?
9 users Like Mapokser's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-09-2023, 11:01 AM by Tonpa )

Any idea if that sighting is recent? the 4 males 2 females. On Wild Earth they're saying the Kambula youngsters were on Simbambili yesterday morning.
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Okay nevermind, they seem to be on Londolozi.

7 users Like Tonpa's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-09-2023, 10:59 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Any idea if that sighting is recent? the 4 males 2 females. On Wild Earth they're saying the Kambula youngsters were on Simbambili yesterday morning.

Yes, another female is with them:

8 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Kambula childcare group, looks like MalaMala will give them new name soon:

2 young females are so similar to their mom.
10 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Throwback to early 2021, some Kambula cubs. My how things have changed in such a short time.

9 users Like BA0701's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

(01-14-2023, 06:06 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Throwback to early 2021, some Kambula cubs. My how things have changed in such a short time.
Everything has changed , from top to bottom, since then except in southern part of sabi sands.
The duo of older avocas is still holding their castle no matter what.
5 users Like DARK MANE's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-17-2023, 04:11 PM by Tr1x24 )

5 cubs where seen with 3 Kambulas and 2 Ndzhengas, 4 more Kambulas are lactating and 1 is heavily pregnant :

Baby boom inc.
10 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom AlBag8 Offline
New Join

is it possible the second lioness with the kambula subs is the tsalala lioness? just wondering as i havent seen any updates on her recently.
4 users Like AlBag8's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-19-2023, 09:41 PM)AlBag8 Wrote: is it possible the second lioness with the kambula subs is the tsalala lioness? just wondering as i havent seen any updates on her recently.

Interesting idea, she had encounters with them recently, idk, did we see the face of that 2nd female? 

But most recent update from Sabi Sabi mentions again only 1 female, meaning that 2nd female didn't stick with them.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Moving this here since I got a corrected ID on the lioness.   It’s actually Kambula.  Not Mhangeni.  Sorry

7 users Like criollo2mil's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

(01-20-2023, 09:37 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Moving this here since I got a corrected ID on the lioness.   It’s actually Kambula.  Not Mhangeni.  Sorry

Which Kambula?
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

(01-20-2023, 09:54 AM)Mapokser Wrote:
(01-20-2023, 09:37 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Moving this here since I got a corrected ID on the lioness.   It’s actually Kambula.  Not Mhangeni.  Sorry

Which Kambula?

K4 i guess.
1 user Likes DARK MANE's post