There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kambula/Ntsevu males

United States Go131810 Offline

(10-05-2024, 03:59 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(10-05-2024, 12:43 AM)Potato Wrote: Considering that they are clearly unable to keep other males at bay then they definitelly wouldn't be better than PC males. They would sire cubs in the pride just to them be killed by either Mantimahles or Plains Camp males.
Exactly my thoughts on it too! 
PCMs have theirflaws but they do offer much more stability and security than the four Kambula.

(10-05-2024, 01:22 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: The PCmales are terrible pridemales to any pride that isnt the Ximhungwes.
Cant completely disagree but i think the word "terrible" is in fact in terrible use here. 
They are likely the strongest coalition in Sabi Sand, its normal they will have expansionist ambitions...
It's worth remembering that the territory they cover was, years ago, ruled by large coalitions such as Mapogo, Selati and Majingilane (each one in a period, all with 4 members) now the Plains Camp cover it all as 2 males only. I would lie if i said thats not impressive.

(10-05-2024, 01:37 AM)Rui Ferreira Wrote: Maybe some coalition from Kruger that we dont know of 
About lions that we regulary see 
I think there is plenty of options to come and go... Quite a few bold young males on the surroundings recently
The Plain camp male lions are not really with the Nukhumas? I know it is three lionesses, but there is a pride they do not really see the Mahangenis. They have cubs with them but until recently they were with them after some time when they were spending more time with the Nukhumas. I think the Plain Camp male lions size and their bond and luck helped. They have not really been lions fighting other male lions they have chased the lone Tumbela male lion, but I think the Ndhzenga male lions are the strongest or the two male lions in the north with the Torchwood male lions with very nice dark manes and experience. The plain Camp male lions are impressive I just do not think they are better than the Ndhzenga male lions although they are a bit older than the Plain Camp male lions at 9 years of age. The Plain camps male lions have been seen with the Ximungwe lioness, the young Othowa lioness, the Tsalala. I am hoping that means they are going to spend more time in the West.
1 user Likes Go131810's post

Ngonya Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-05-2024, 05:22 AM by Ngonya )

(10-05-2024, 04:48 AM)Go131810 Wrote: The Plain camp male lions are not really with the Nukhumas? I know it is three lionesses, but there is a pride they do not really see the Mahangenis.
The Plains Camps aren't the dominants over Nkuhuma pride, tbf no one really is actually. 
Covering the territories they already control is pretty much a impressive job regardless.

(10-05-2024, 04:48 AM)Go131810 Wrote: They have not really been lions fighting other male lions they have chased the lone Tumbela male lion, but I think the Ndhzenga male lions are the strongest [...] The plain Camp male lions are impressive I just do not think they are better than the Ndhzenga male lions although they are a bit older than the Plain Camp male lions at 9 years of age. The Plain camps male lions have been seen with the Ximungwe lioness, the young Othowa lioness, the Tsalala. I am hoping that means they are going to spend more time in the West.
All that altercation of the Ndzhengas chasing the two Plains Camp out of Londolozi just gave people TOO MUCH confidence to underestimate the PCM. 
During a invasion, the defenders will likely have the upperhand.
2 Selatis chased 3 Majingilanes out of the west back in the day, and that didn't make the Selatis the strongest/"better" coalition during the dispute.
A more recent example can be mentioned such as the Nkuhlus and Gijimas constantly chasing each other back and forth. In Nkuhlu territory, the young Nkuhlu males are the pursuers | in Gijima territory, the experienced Gijima males are the pursuers
and that doesnt make one coalition better than the other, just the odds are different. 

But when its the Plains Camp males getting chased once (or whatever) by the Ndzhengas, people already start talking about it like a huge loss or whatever.
A fun fact that has been mentioned more than once at different thread/topics here at Wildfact is that the Plains Camp dominated most of the persecution according to a guide, Ndzhengas only succeding to get rid of them after a couple of hours.

And im not trying to underestimate Ndzhengas, but personally i would risk to say that i think the PCM are stronger than them and would have the advantage in a physical confrontation. (not only against Ndzhengas but against any other lions at Sabi Sands... Only ones i see as tie are their half brothers, the Mantimahle males, who i think are the males you refer as "Torchwood Males"

edit: im not saying you are underestimating the PCM, thats just a commentary in general due to recent and previous experienced, not exactly on wildfact, of people talking down on Plains Camp males. Always mentioning the special persecution with Ndzhengas. 
4 users Like Ngonya's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(10-05-2024, 05:16 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(10-05-2024, 04:48 AM)Go131810 Wrote: The Plain camp male lions are not really with the Nukhumas? I know it is three lionesses, but there is a pride they do not really see the Mahangenis.
The Plains Camps aren't the dominants over Nkuhuma pride, tbf no one really is actually. 
Covering the territories they already control is pretty much a impressive job regardless.

(10-05-2024, 04:48 AM)Go131810 Wrote: They have not really been lions fighting other male lions they have chased the lone Tumbela male lion, but I think the Ndhzenga male lions are the strongest [...] The plain Camp male lions are impressive I just do not think they are better than the Ndhzenga male lions although they are a bit older than the Plain Camp male lions at 9 years of age. The Plain camps male lions have been seen with the Ximungwe lioness, the young Othowa lioness, the Tsalala. I am hoping that means they are going to spend more time in the West.
All that altercation of the Ndzhengas chasing the two Plains Camp out of Londolozi just gave people TOO MUCH confidence to underestimate the PCM. 
During a invasion, the defenders will likely have the upperhand.
2 Selatis chased 3 Majingilanes out of the west back in the day, and that didn't make the Selatis the strongest/"better" coalition during the dispute.
A more recent example can be mentioned such as the Nkuhlus and Gijimas constantly chasing each other back and forth. In Nkuhlu territory, the young Nkuhlu males are the pursuers | in Gijima territory, the experienced Gijima males are the pursuers
and that doesnt make one coalition better than the other, just the odds are different. 

But when its the Plains Camp males getting chased once (or whatever) by the Ndzhengas, people already start talking about it like a huge loss or whatever.
A fun fact that has been mentioned more than once at different thread/topics here at Wildfact is that the Plains Camp dominated most of the persecution according to a guide, Ndzhengas only succeding to get rid of them after a couple of hours.

And im not trying to underestimate Ndzhengas, but personally i would risk to say that i think the PCM are stronger than them and would have the advantage in a physical confrontation. (not only against Ndzhengas but against any other lions at Sabi Sands... Only ones i see as tie are their half brothers, the Mantimahle males, who i think are the males you refer as "Torchwood Males"

edit: im not saying you are underestimating the PCM, thats just a commentary in general due to recent and previous experienced, not exactly on wildfact, of people talking down on Plains Camp males. Always mentioning the special persecution with Ndzhengas. 

I think people now underestimating or downplaying the PC males' 'strength' is just a reaction to them being overhyped before that encounter. A bit like the Ndzengas were regularly belittled as not really impressive (by people including Londolozi guides), now people are perhaps overhyping them a bit, especially in comparison to the PC males. In both cases the pendulum swung the other way. It's as you said, home territory advantage is a huge factor. If the Ndzengas had gone into PC territory, the reverse would have likely happened.

But it has to be said that the PC males have had very few fights against full-grown males (Nhena, Tumbela and K5), the Ndzengas not many more (S Avocas, Delaporte, possibly Tinyo, S BDMs x2). So for me it's difficult to say if either of the two duos are stronger than the other.

By the 'Torchwood males' they might have been referring to the young Torchwood males, sons of the Kruger/Torchwood males.

But this is the Kambula/Ntsevu males thread, not the place for discussing PC vs Ndzenga.
4 users Like NLAL11's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Potato Well, at least they are around. I don't think Kambulas at the moment are good but PCM IMO would be worse.

As already mentioned, PCM has/had countless prides by now and is only doing a good job with Ximgungwes ( for now ).

Besides, Kambulas are 4 strong, 3/4 over 6yo, the other one 5.5yo, at some point it's likely that they'll eventually be able to beat strong duos.

@Ngonya All the other duos in Sabi Sands are as strong or even strong than PCM and and give the impression of ruling more stable and safe prides and territory so this isn't an excuse for their poor dynamics with the prides.

Ndhzengas are doing a great job with Ntsevu and Kambula prides, and they beat the PCM so they're not weaker.

Gijimas doing an amazing job with Msuthu and Southern Pride, and now possibly with Styx pride as well, they've chased 3 and 4 territorial Nkhulus, so by feats they are the strongest, PCM have only beat old Nhenha and NK as far as territorial males go.

Mantimahles seems to have a big legacy already and they chased Kambulas anand BDM, so same thing PCM have done, they're likely not weaker.

Nkhulus are 6-5 strong, clearly the strongest coalition by sheer numbers, they now have cubs with 2 different prides, let's see how they do.

Btw, PCM territory is larger than that of Selatis, Majingilane and Western Mapogo, as it includes a good portion of the north. Although this is impressive in terms of expansion and strength, it's not good for the prides as they're unable to offer much protection, if any at all, hell they don't even protect the Manghenis who live in their core territory.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

United Kingdom Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

I dont think strength is the issue with the PCmales but rather experience and skill. 

There is something they are doing wrong. Perhaps they dont scent mark enough, dont try to smell or track males, avoid confrontation or dont aggressively chase long enough to completely send a rival off. But somehow rival males feel that aslong they arent seen, they can do as they please.

Add to that that they have multiple predies to keep track off and a rather large area to cover, and their strength and numeral advantage stops mattering as much. 

The Kambulas atleast have the advantage of numbers and having only the Nkuhumas to protect. I think that if they were to settle down. There isnt much the other two coalitions will do anymore. Even right now they arent doing much there. Let alone with rivals to concider.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Ngonya Offline
Contributor

K6 with Nkuhuma female yesterday

*This image is copyright of its original author

by Ale

K6and K4 seem to be the most dominant bros when it comes to females
8 users Like Ngonya's post

Ngonya Offline
Contributor

K3 at Buffelshoek back in July 

by Mel Chiert
7 users Like Ngonya's post

Ngonya Offline
Contributor

Sunset at Elephant Plains with two Kambula males roaring 
K3 and K4
6 users Like Ngonya's post

Ngonya Offline
Contributor

Kambula male K3 with a beaten / battle scarred face. 
He was limping a bit last month and i wonder with who he got in a fight with... Perhaps one of his brothers? seems unlikely since his limp, as i said, was at one of his back legs it would need to be quite the aggression towards a coalition partner / brother to cause such thing. 
During last month, Kruger male was with a wound on his face at the same time and in a near area, where he briefly joined Southern Avoca. 

By Graeme Mitchley 
Im assuming this is likely from a couple of weeks ago since Graeme Mitchley sometimes recycles his unposted pics.
7 users Like Ngonya's post

Ngonya Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-13-2024, 07:36 PM by Ngonya )

K4 mating with Nkuhuma while K3 and K6 waits for their turn
5 users Like Ngonya's post

Ngonya Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-13-2024, 10:11 PM by Ngonya )

K5 on giraffe carcass 

by Heike

by Chloe Louise

Seems like later joined by Tiyelele, he is still with her

9 users Like Ngonya's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-13-2024, 10:08 PM)Ngonya Wrote: K5 on giraffe carcass 

His mane really boomed in last months.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ngonya Offline
Contributor

Kruger Kambula male K2 and his partner Pretoriuskop with a lioness

Pretoriuskop

´
K2 pairing with a lioness

by Jean

same author also posted the 2 Nkuhuma young males at the buffalo kill so it seems like its pretty recent!
3 users Like Ngonya's post

United States Go131810 Offline

(10-14-2024, 01:39 AM)Ngonya Wrote: Kruger Kambula male K2 and his partner Pretoriuskop with a lioness

Pretoriuskop

´
K2 pairing with a lioness

by Jean

same author also posted the 2 Nkuhuma young males at the buffalo kill so it seems like its pretty recent!
Where is the other Kambula male lion?
1 user Likes Go131810's post

Ngonya Offline
Contributor

(10-14-2024, 03:49 AM)Go131810 Wrote: Where is the other Kambula male lion?
Im not sure how could i answer such question since i didn't take the pictures and wasn't there. But based on my knowledge and vision towards K1, he appears to be a more cautious / shy male, usually avoiding vehicles or atleast just hanging on his own a bit away from roads.
1 user Likes Ngonya's post