There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kambula/Ntsevu males

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Any further replies regarding the Mapogo channel and the way he posts, please move them to PM's directly to avoid flooding the thread with a discussion that doesn’t make much sense. If we remember, the WildFact team has said in the past that such channels used to post clickbait videos, I don’t know if they keep doing that.
2 users Like T I N O's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

Londolozi blog on the Kambula males. Not 100% accurate as usual, but still something to read.

https://blog.londolozi.com/2024/09/09/wh...evu-males/
4 users Like NLAL11's post

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-13-2024, 12:26 AM by Ngonya )

(09-12-2024, 05:22 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Not 100% accurate as usual, but still something to read.
why do they claim the Kambulas are in control of Nkuhuma pride?
2 users Like Ngonya's post

MrLoesoe Offline

Perhaps they confused them with the Imbali lionesses?
3 users Like MrLoesoe's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(09-13-2024, 12:14 AM)MrLoesoe Wrote: Perhaps they confused them with the Imbali lionesses?

Very likely, at least that is what I thought
2 users Like T I N O's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(09-13-2024, 12:14 AM)MrLoesoe Wrote: Perhaps they confused them with the Imbali lionesses?

This might be the case, as they mention them being in the Manyeleti and talking about genetic diversity (which definitely wouldn't be the case with the Nkuhumas), but seeing as the Nkuhumas do appear on Londolozi sometimes it's a sloppy mistake to make.

Also the fact that they call them the 'Ntsevu' males bugs me.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

Ngonya Offline

"One of the Kambula male lions on a recent morning safari making his way towards a termite mound where he joined his three brothers."
(at Elephant Plains)
Kambula male K6

*This image is copyright of its original author

by Nicholas Greef
7 users Like Ngonya's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@NLAL11 What's wrong with them being called Ntsevu males?

Even ignoring all the changes in names, 3 of their 4 surviving mothers are Ntsevu lionesses according to both Londolozi and MalaMala.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(09-13-2024, 08:52 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @NLAL11 What's wrong with them being called Ntsevu males?

Even ignoring all the changes in names, 3 of their 4 surviving mothers are Ntsevu lionesses according to both Londolozi and MalaMala.

Because the name 'Ntsevu' was given to the breakaway pride that left the Kambula pride, and these boys were never part of that breakaway pride. They left the main pride (when it was still one group), and that pride has been given the 'Kambula' name. So, in my mind, it doesn't make sense to call them the Ntsevu males, and it's only Londolozi that does it.

But I'll admit it's not the end of the world for them to have two names. The N'waswitshaka males also have two names (Ndzenga males). It's just it can lead to confusion, and in my opinion is unnecessary.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-13-2024, 10:07 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Because the name 'Ntsevu' was given to the breakaway pride that left the Kambula pride, and these boys were never part of that breakaway pride. They left the main pride (when it was still one group), and that pride has been given the 'Kambula' name. So, in my mind, it doesn't make sense to call them the Ntsevu males, and it's only Londolozi that does it.

But I'll admit it's not the end of the world for them to have two names. The N'waswitshaka males also have two names (Ndzenga males). It's just it can lead to confusion, and in my opinion is unnecessary.

Even before the split, Londolozi was calling Kambula pride, Ntsevu pride.

Kambula pride is Mala Mala name.

Ntsevu pride is Londolozi name.

They only split 2 names when pride split last year.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(09-13-2024, 10:57 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-13-2024, 10:07 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Because the name 'Ntsevu' was given to the breakaway pride that left the Kambula pride, and these boys were never part of that breakaway pride. They left the main pride (when it was still one group), and that pride has been given the 'Kambula' name. So, in my mind, it doesn't make sense to call them the Ntsevu males, and it's only Londolozi that does it.

Even before the split, Londolozi was calling Kambula pride, Ntsevu pride.

Kambula pride is Mala Mala name.

Ntsevu pride is Londolozi name.

They only split 2 names when pride split last year.

I am aware of this. And it's because the two names have been given to separate prides that I think it's odd.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-13-2024, 11:33 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: I am aware of this. And it's because the two names have been given to separate prides that I think it's odd.

Well, they where always called Ntsevu males in Londolozi.

I think it doesnt matter really, as Ntsevu/Kambula are same pride.

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-14-2024, 12:00 AM by Ngonya )

Kambula boys at Tintswalo 

4 users Like Ngonya's post

Ngonya Offline

4 Kambula boys by Arathusa 

by guide Roy
5 users Like Ngonya's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(09-16-2024, 10:04 PM)Ngonya Wrote: 4 Kambula boys by Arathusa 

by guide Roy

In the first photo K4 looks more like Dark Mane Majingilane and K3 looks more like Nhena.
2 users Like NLAL11's post