There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kambula/Ntsevu males

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-03-2024, 07:04 PM by Ngonya )

(08-03-2024, 03:15 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: This post says that 4 Kambulas are at an elephant kill.
all 4 brothers on the carcass. 

K5 has some puncture wounds on his back but is looking just fine.
8 users Like Ngonya's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(08-03-2024, 07:00 PM)Ngonya Wrote:
(08-03-2024, 06:25 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Isn't that K5 in the video I posted, just above yours, of their having made a kill in RRM"s territory?
that video is not recent.

Ah, the dreaded wait awhile before posting the videos bug. I posted it shortly after it was released, so I was unaware. Hey, at least I was right about that being him, that shows progress. Thanks!
3 users Like BA0701's post

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-03-2024, 07:45 PM by Ngonya )

(08-03-2024, 07:39 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Ah, the dreaded wait awhile before posting the videos bug. I posted it shortly after it was released, so I was unaware. Hey, at least I was right about that being him, that shows progress. Thanks!
Its mainly the Lodge/Reserve YT channels "fault". They like to upload some not so recent videos all the time!  Laughing

The video is K3, K4 and K5. K5 is the male with minor injuries at his hind legs like you say. Im almost sure this was shortly after the fight with Red Road, being previously posted around july 19, when they were in Tintswalo (#390)
3 users Like Ngonya's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-03-2024, 08:28 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-03-2024, 07:43 PM)Ngonya Wrote: The video is K3, K4 and K5. K5 is the male with minor injuries at his hind legs like you say. Im almost sure this was shortly after the fight with Red Road, being previously posted around july 19, when they were in Tintswalo (#390)

No, i think thats was K6, K5 was not present there, as that was shortly after he got mauled.

You can see on this video with elephant, how K5 has far more scars on his back then that male.

But he looks good and recovered.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(08-03-2024, 08:09 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-03-2024, 07:43 PM)Ngonya Wrote: The video is K3, K4 and K5. K5 is the male with minor injuries at his hind legs like you say. Im almost sure this was shortly after the fight with Red Road, being previously posted around july 19, when they were in Tintswalo (#390)

No, i think thats was K6, K5 was not present there, as that was shortly after he got mauled.

You can see on this video with elephant, how K5 has far more scars on his back then that male.

But he looks good and recovered.

I see what you are talking about, now. Man, K5, could become his uncle's namesake, as he sure is a scrappy one.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Had to screenshot this part in the video, K6 lost a lot of mane it seems, he went from top 2 in mane development to top 4. But anyway, his resemblance to the Majingilane is impressive here.

I think we could say that overall the Kambulas look more like their maternal grandmothers than their fathers, K5 aside.

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Mapokser's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

"Twins" K3 and K4 after chasing Mantimahle son:

Credit: Peter Mass

I can see similarity in these 2 with their grandfather Golden Mane Majingilane, they are like mix between GM and Nhenha.
8 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

K4 roaring at Buffelshoek:

Credits: Martin Meyer

I think these guys consider themselves territorial in this area at this point, after chasing 3 different neighbouring territorial males.

Obiviously they are yet to fully claim a pride, but they where seen already mating with multiple females.
8 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

They looked to be territorial before but this time it seems all 4 are committed so maybe they're finally territorial, ironically in the same area their fathers originally claimed.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Ngonya Offline

(08-04-2024, 12:06 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: I can see similarity in these 2 with their grandfather Golden Mane Majingilane, they are like mix between GM and Nhenha.
much more similar to Dark Mane
2 users Like Ngonya's post

Ngonya Offline

Kambula male's 3 August 2024 Morning Drive Torchwood 
On a Elephant carcass with Tiyelele Talamati
by Peter Maas

K5

K6

K3 or K4

K4

lioness in their company, Tiyelele?

10 users Like Ngonya's post

Super Moderator

If there was a lioness who deserves the protection and security that comes with having four males around, it is Tiyelele, that girl has been through it in recent times. Problem comes when she can't provide for all of their needs, and they set out in search of larger groups of females.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

She definitely won't be around the males a lot once they look for larger prides, regardless if she has any litters from them.  Best thing for her is to hang as close to their territory as possible, while avoiding any prides they take over....a very careful balancing act that is risky, but at this point, it's better to have cubs from a larger coalition as a lone lioness.  Their siring any future cubs of hers would be the absolute best choice she could make, since there are FOUR healthy young males just starting out in their prime, about to take over pride(s).  They could potentially secure a territory for at least 3-5 years, barring a disaster.
3 users Like Cath2020's post

Ngonya Offline

(08-04-2024, 08:38 PM)BA0701 Wrote: If there was a lioness who deserves the protection and security that comes with having four males around, it is Tiyelele
Apparently the community on FB confirmed it to be Tiyelele, good for her.

Kambulas most likely the responsibles for the killing of the last male sub, really unfortunate.
3 users Like Ngonya's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

This worked wonderfully well for the lone SP Lioness!  She was able to mate with four Ndzengas at the start of their journey, having all their protection, while her cubs were at the critically vulnerable stage.  She just needs to go into heat within a month or two from now ideally, like the SP female did, after meeting the males.
4 users Like Cath2020's post