There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-23-2020, 06:36 PM by Dark Jaguar )

credits: Fazendas San Francisco

An unexpected encounter with a Pirate in the Pantanal.

Rare encounter with Jaguar on a trail - San Francisco Farm - Pousada e Passeio no Pantanal

''The pantaneiros guides Armando and Giuliano went for maintenance on the trail when they suddenly saw the imposing jaguar coming towards them. It is an adult male that is always sighted in this region and feeds on caiman, capybaras and deers which for the luck of both has a lot there on the farm... Luckily they were with a cell phone and registered the animal passing under them. A Scene that if it wasn't filmed it would just be another fisherman's story.''

That's Pirata male 106.3kg.

4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-23-2020, 08:16 PM by Dark Jaguar )

Sombra male (left) on a Scuffle with Felino male (right)

After Felino saw Sombra mating with his mom Natureza he was not happy with that and approached too much and Sombra male didn't like it at all, according to onçafari there was a round 2 that night in the bushes only roars was heard in south pantanal.

6 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

In regards to predation on Water buffalo, I think it depends on which you're talking about.
The ones imported from Assam are immune, in fact they are the ones responsible for killing Jaguar cubs and are actually still hunted in the North, illegally. This was according to Paulo and makes sense, even as impressive as a Pantanal Jaguar is, they would be wise to avoid tangling with a giant water buffalo, especially in a area with much more abundant and easier prey.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-23-2020, 08:59 PM by Dark Jaguar )

(05-23-2020, 08:44 PM)Pckts Wrote: In regards to predation on Water buffalo, I think it depends on which you're talking about.
The ones imported from Assam are immune, in fact they are the ones responsible for killing Jaguar cubs and are actually still hunted in the North, illegally. This was according to Paulo and makes sense, even as impressive as a Pantanal Jaguar is, they would be wise to avoid tangling with a giant water buffalo, especially in a area with much more abundant and easier prey.

Yeah that makes sense and Jaguars also prefer to avoid taking down adult boars as Ronaldo said on OnçaTalk he said there was no accounts in this regard as far as he is concerned, adult boars are way too agressive, so it makes sense them avoiding an even larger animal.
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-23-2020, 08:52 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 08:44 PM)Pckts Wrote: In regards to predation on Water buffalo, I think it depends on which you're talking about.

Yeah that makes sense and Jaguars also prefer to avoid taking down adult boars as Ronaldo said on OnçaTalk he said there was no accounts in this regard, adult boars are way too agressive, so it makes sense them avoiding an even larger animal.

I'm sure they take down adult Boar, but only large males will attempt against a big male boar. They are going off of a very limited sample size correct, only having seen attempts once in person?
These areas are gigantic, even programs like Panthera or Oncafari have a very limited range in comparison to the entire Pantanal and you're talking about 5-10 cats in that area compared to the 1000s that live outside of it.
I look at it much the same as any other predation study, usually they have to extrapolate their limited data to encompass all of the big cats in the surrounding area and that's just impossible to be accurate on.

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-23-2020, 09:37 PM by Dark Jaguar )

(05-23-2020, 09:04 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 08:52 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:

Yeah that makes sense and Jaguars also prefer to avoid taking down adult boars as Ronaldo said on OnçaTalk he said there was no accounts in this regard, adult boars are way too agressive, so it makes sense them avoiding an even larger animal.

I'm sure they take down adult Boar, but only large males will attempt against a big male boar. They are going off of a very limited sample size correct, only having seen attempts once in person?
These areas are gigantic, even programs like Panthera or Oncafari have a very limited range in comparison to the entire Pantanal and you're talking about 5-10 cats in that area compared to the 1000s that live outside of it.
I look at it much the same as any other predation study, usually they have to extrapolate their limited data to encompass all of the big cats in the surrounding area and that's just impossible to be accurate on.

I also believe a determined big jag can take down boars but if the jaguar has the option to go for a smaller one it will go for it more often. it wants to spend as little energy as possible.

And in all of Ronaldo's experience he's never heard anything on this regards and it seems it was more than one attempt and regarding the area, the way he said it was overall not only in pantanal, but it doesn't mean it never happened.

And even with limited datas its good to take it in consideration since very little is known on jaguars lifestyle and they let it very clear and yeah Pantanal is massive.

I am looking forward to know how they manage to go north or south they're still working on it, whether through the Paraguay river, Central Pantanal, Elsewhere.

I think Africam.com like type of cameras would be cool to install up a tree and get their movements on the areas they don't explore as often to understand more in depth jaguars behavior.

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-24-2020, 03:12 AM by Dark Jaguar )

credits: Gediendson

Waking up right on the spot.

''Never underestimate a wild jaguar cub, specially after the application of the anesthesia regulator. The work was already finished but when I left the animal I realized there were more ticks to collect. The effect of the reverser usually occurs in 30 minutes but in this case it was much faster due to intense light stimulation. This was an atypical capture and required a lot of care, attention and participation of many people because the cub's mother was around.''

VIDEO

1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-24-2020, 06:02 PM by Balam )

@Dark Jaguar did you manage to time into the the live regarding Iguaçu jaguars? I connected to Edu's live and he said some interesting thing. He confirmed that Shaka had been weighed at around 132 kg, Felino got another confirmation for 138 kg by him, he also reaffirmed that Joker had the biggest frame and measurements of any jaguar Onçafari has measured, so much so that he believes he's above 150 kg in weight. He also said he had not witnessed any buffalo predation by jaguars but he believes that calves, old animals and sick ones could be potential prey. He reaffirmed that jaguar attacks on humans in the area have not been documented, they seem to be docile big cats to an extent.

Mostly they spoke about the differences between Northern and Southern Pantanal and how tourism may vary in each region.
1 user Likes Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-24-2020, 06:02 PM by Dark Jaguar )

(05-24-2020, 05:23 PM)OncaAtrox Wrote: @Dark Jaguar did you manage to time into the the live regarding Iguaçu jaguars? I way he'd Edu's live and he said some interesting thing. He confirmed that Shaka had been weighed at around 132 kg, Felino got another confirmation for 138 kg by him, he also reaffirmed that Joker had the biggest frame and measurements of any jaguar Onçafari has measured, so much so that he believes he's above 150 kg in weight. He also said he had not witnessed any buffalo predation by jaguars but he believes that calves, old animals and sick ones could be potential prey. He reaffirmed that jaguar attacks on humans in the area have not been documented, they seem to be docile big cats to an extent.

Mostly they spoke about the differences between Northern and Southern Pantanal and how tourism may vary in each region.

Yes I did and I got a few infos from the Master Peter Crawshaw.

I am translating it right now, I will post it later on today. See you.
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(05-24-2020, 05:56 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 05:23 PM)OncaAtrox Wrote: @Dark Jaguar did you manage to time into the the live regarding Iguaçu jaguars? I way he'd Edu's live and he said some interesting thing. He confirmed that Shaka had been weighed at around 132 kg, Felino got another confirmation for 138 kg by him, he also reaffirmed that Joker had the biggest frame and measurements of any jaguar Onçafari has measured, so much so that he believes he's above 150 kg in weight. He also said he had not witnessed any buffalo predation by jaguars but he believes that calves, old animals and sick ones could be potential prey. He reaffirmed that jaguar attacks on humans in the area have not been documented, they seem to be docile big cats to an extent.

Yes I did and I got a few good news from the Master Peter Crawshaw.

I am translating it right now, I will post it later on today. See you.

Can't wait to hear all about it :)
1 user Likes Balam's post

LoveLions Offline
Banned

@"OncaAtrox"  and @Dark Jaguar You guys can contact these jaguar experts

Leondro Silveira ([email protected]

*This image is copyright of its original author

Agustin Paviolo ([email protected])

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-25-2020, 07:04 AM by Dark Jaguar )

@OncaAtrox @peter  @epaiva  @GuateGojira  @Pckts and others...

So its finally here, it took all my day translating it.

Here are the lessons taught by master Peter Crawshaw on the Bafo de Onça last night.

BAFO DE ONÇA LIVE ( Jaguar's Bad Breath )

Peter Crawshaw on Atlantic Forest Jaguar study at Iguaçú.

Peter Crawshaw when he went to work with Atlantic forest jaguars in April 1990. Initially the scientific theme of PHD was to compare 2 half sized carnivores, the original idea wasn't to work with jaguars ( In Atlantic Forest ). The original idea was to compare Ocelot and Bush Dogs (Cerdocyon thous ) relating to their ecology, demands and their resources. back in 1987 he found many signs tracks of bush dogs and almost saw them everyday and ocelots was easy to track too and ocelots was no different. but in 1990 for some reason either a fence or something else, he couldn't track bush dogs anymore and then he caught a few Ocelots and already through all of his experience in Pantanal he started finding some jaguars tracks as well at Estrada do Poço Preto and he decided to put larger traps as well and for his surprise he started to catch more jaguars than bush dogs haha. at end he had to talk to the committee and propose a change on the theme on the study of instead of comparing  two half sized carnivores of different sizes he could compare 2 felids of different sizes, and they accepted and foun interesting eventually and then the project started. and Based off of the partnership with Jeorge Schaller in Pantanal working with him in 2 areas of Pantanal and since there was no many info on the carnivores from Iguaçú, Crawshaw collared many animals in the area so he collared animals such as quati, irara, jaguarundis, macarajá cat and that's how they named the project ''Carnívoros do Iguaçú'' in this sense.

All of the atlantic forest jaguars captured and collared by Peter Crawshaw were poached by hunters ( he said the same happened in Pantanal as well ) and back then Peter and the team had to really go after the animal to localize it and the Iguaçú wilderness just like a sponge it seems like it absorbs all VHS signals (technology from that time) which was very hard to follow from the ground so they needed aereal technology through an agreement with the Park. Flying over Iguaçú theres was flights they could localize 15-17 animals with radio collars and after visualizing the animals, catch all details write down on the map where the animals were in numbers, date, hours of the localization then go down to the ground and do all the rest of the process such as passing to the grids and reading the coordinates everything makeshifted back at that time.

Regarding jaguars they collared 7 jaguars one of which was a whole family the CG female with 2 cubs from her first litter then they captured 1 more cub from CG's second litter and then they captured one that back then they coudn't prove it but they thought it was the son of a daughter of hers whom they could never capture.

All of it depending on the occupancy position areas of these animals and they used the same system for all species it was 21 Ocelots they collared, from the 7 atlantic forest jaguars 2 were in Argentina, the animal they caught in Argentina it was a troublesome one killing a dog on the porch in the Park near the airport and another one was captured and translocated and was killed eventually so all argentinian jaguars back then had problems and even CG female which was the main jaguar we accompanied for 14 months we got into the conclusion to remove her from the Park cause she was becoming way too aggressive, she had an aggressive nature and at time by the end of her monitoring she was pretty much preying on just domestic animals and approaching more and more people houses, and when we recaptured her we discovered she had an infection in her mouth on the teeth and all her canines were broken so she couldn't hunt properly anymore so she fed on domestic animals only and by her aggressive nature Peter talked to Ramos so they decided to take her to the Sorocaba Zoo.

When CG atlantic forest female was captured her teeth were starting to get yellowish so he believes she was 7 years old, they first captured her in July 31st 1991 and the second capture was around October,November 1992.

Regarding today's technology of collars, tracks overall that makes biologists not go to the field to get contact with the animal and losing their close connection Peter Crawshaw said its extremely important to take the best of both worlds ( past and present ) on one hand to extract what today's technology can offer make it easier to localize the animals and getting infos but however on the other hand you can't lose the intimate contact with the animal which gives you the experience to be able to think like the animals do, what makes them go to one place or the other, so you gotta learn to think like the animal and in order to get that, only the experience on the field will give you that.

Vânia said the good thing to work on fied is that you are able to discover other jaguars that haven't been registered as well as understanding the behaviour of other animals.

Males tolerance with one another.

More than 1 male were registered in the same region was mentioned and Peter Crawshaw said Its something interestig and its an area we're still learning alot with the current technology of intensive monitoring its a bit similar to what happens to the tiger in asia as well that actually they aren't as unsociable as we used to believe, so there's much more association for example between male jaguars and sometimes you can see associations of even coalitions of 2-3 males that walk together in a period, hunting, one vocalizing calling out the other to share the carcass and this seems more common than we used to imagine so we always thought males relations were just for competition for females but when there isn't competition for females the males have a bigger approach to one another more than we imagined.

Its mentioned by Rogério through Crawshaw's conclusion that there was an imagination and thought that the males were extremely dominant and territorial to the fullest that ''that's my territory, nobody can get in my area''. So we can see that there's a flexibility, dynamism much bigger of jaguar's social relations, We can see here at Iguaçú ( atlantic forest ) cameras register three males using  the same trail like Tarobá male and other males then there's a female passing by, so there's a big sharing of space which I think it all intensifies on everything revolves around the food offer and conditions the more conditions bigger the sharing.

Peter Crawshaw said normally and since jaguars is a difficult animal to capture they had a very little percentage of the population being monitored and now they're improving that capacity of capture and putting on collars so a bigger part of the population is being captured and monitored simultaneously and that gives us conditions and there's collars today that measures the approximation of other collared animals as well, so the collars can measure the sociality of each individual to its neighbour that are also wearing collars so we will understand them better, the moment we got more collared animals in one population we'll better get their sociality.

Captures with dogs

Peter said its very hard to capture jaguars with dogs in the Atlantic Forest cause the dogs are way too fast and venture deep into the forest after the jaguars and after 10 min. they can't even hear the dogs anymore so its hard to keep up due to the density of the forest.

Rogério mentioned the usual is the dogs corner the jaguar making the cat go up the tree and then that moment the humans come in to sedate it however if the humans don't show up and take too long the jaguar will go down and fight the dogs. So its always important to stay close.

Peter said the only times they used dogs at Iguaçú it was to recapture the jaguar so they already knew where the cat was so they only let go of the dogs when it was too close and they also had aereal support location so the animal didn't have much conditions to get away from the researchers. So they did 2 successfuly cause the jaguar already had the collar. In these moments its worth using the dogs.

Remaining Jaguars from Atlantic forest go back and forth sharing Brazil and Argentinian territories

Rogério says the ''loop trap'' whre the jags steps onto they have an area where they will capture the animals so they have a beforehand plan to get to know the animals habits and the areas they pass the most and so they put traps on both sides in Brazilian side and Argentinian side so they have a ''healthy competition'' ( Onças do Iguaçú and Proyecto Yaguareté ) haha. To see during 15 days of maximum concentration they remove/shut off the traps during the morning to ich loop the atlantic forest jaguar will step onto.

That period not catch a deer,tapir... they set up traps only on the passageway trails where they know jaguars are going to pass and step on by camera traps so they got strategic places to set the traps.

Atlantic Forest Jaguars of Parque Nacional do Turvo ( Southern Brazil )

The Famous Norwegian photographer Bjørn-Einar Nilsen ( he is a very very good guy ) whom was the first to photograph an Atlantic Forest jaguar in Parque Nacional do Turvo in 2017. He said there was 5 atlantic forest jaguars Boreal male, Boca-Braba male,Turuna ,Yaboti and another unidentified jaguar.

Bjørn-Einar Nilsen says Boreal male disappeared from Turvo and asks if he was seen in Iguaçú.

Peter Crawshaw responds ''It would be expect too much for the ones far south to show up here I think they wouldn't do that travel but there have been the exchange of information the animals that are showing up at Turvo wouldn't be there if it wasn't the conexion with Argentina certainly so in order for Turvo be viable as a protected area for jaguars there has to be kept this conexion with Moconá and Provincia de Misiones and it is something that existed since that time ( back in the days ) because there was a project Felinos do Turvo back then and we tried with the resources we had back that time with the technical team of agriculture secretary of unities of conservation of Rio Grande do Sul. We even collared a jaguar but there was no financial cooperation from Rio Grande do Sul State to garantee the monitoring and the information ended up lost. I even provided a collar that time it was a collar supposed to be used in Turvo but he put there and there wasn't the monitoring we expected.

Jaguar and Puma overlaps.

Vânia explains both species use the same area but with Atlantic forest Jaguars and Ocelots  being more nocturnal active cats in Iguaçú whereas Pumas are also nocturnal but they were active much more on daytime than jaguars so maybe the utilization of the area at different times help the exisistence of both species now the next analysis is the usage of space which will respond how they use that space and if they use it on different forms to avoid competition.

A very interesting question to Peter here:

Someone asked: Is there a notion of percentage of jaguars born that don't survive by predation of other animals?? and by total mortality rate??

Peter Crawshaw answered:  ''I think there isn't such a study yet, this information is not known in any of the studied areas maybe what exists are sporadic datas, I don't remember now any jaguar killed by natural predator but I remember Puma specially predated by Anaconda, I think theres 2 cases one of which we published in São Paulo about a 45kg adult female Puma predated by Anaconda, but regarding cubs we gotta see if that includes infanticide mortality by the own jaguars as well not only by males but also females as well there's an infanticide work by Fernando Tortato and Alison in Fazenda São Bento in where they show other females may kill in aglomarations around the carcasses and the competition for cattle carcasses may induct infanticides in high density of jaguars as well. Regarding possible predators  I think it could be Caimans specially Black Caimans in Amazon, when a female and cubs are crossing the river I think black caimans can be a possible predator but I think via rule I think female jaguars are exceptional mothers so as long as she's protecting the cubs the probability of other predator catch the cubs is low. But the way these infos will come in of rare events with the long terms projects work along the years  then we will start to gather all of it to give us a minimum idea of what happens in nature.''

Peter also mentioned something he recalled '' One more thing regarding jaguar mortality there are also cases, at least one case I remember of one young male jaguar that was killed by pecaries in Ato Pinheiro Venezuela, it was a failed hunt the pecaries turned against him and caught him on the ground the jaguar was not fast enough to climb the tree and the pecaries killed him.  So it can't be considered a predator even because pecaries is the most habituated prey of the jaguar but just to show you that in Nature nothing is always equal, there are always exceptions so the jaguars have to take care as well.''

''I think it even happens more often than we imagine but it is a situation I am not sure if the jaguar kills one and then have to look for shelter/hide if the peccaries turns the table over the jaguar and then the jaguar go feed on the carcass after the pecaries disperse, so I think it happens more often than we imagine.''

I had 2 questions.

My 1st question was ''How is the relation between Black Caimans and Amazonic Jaguars in Amazon and how do they deal with each other? ''

This wasn't asked to Peter, very little questions from the comment section were lucky enough to be asked and answered by him, but just by what he already said above regarding Black Caimans already counts.

I had a second question which was thankfully answered by Peter Crawshaw himself and saved my night. shocked

Those who understand portuguese can even check at around ( -42:28min ) of the video his answer to my 2nd question.

My 2nd question was ''How big was the largest jaguar ever captured by Peter Crawshaw?''

His answer was: ''The largest jaguar I ever captured weighed 130kg in Porto Primavera...''  

By that moment he was gonna give me more details but unfortunately the biologist woman interupted his answer regarding the 130kg jag and drove the question to the largest one he ever captured at Iguaçú. 

Then he answered  '' the largest jaguar from Iguaçú ( Atlantic Forest jaguar ) I ever captured weighed 95kg he was son of CG female and it was during his second capture, we captured him using the dogs.''

I really wanted to know more about the largest jag he ever captured the 130kg one, but I am happy she asked him and at least now we already know the largest one he ever captured.

The jaguar may have been a male no doubt about that.

And Porto Primavera is located in Mato Grosso do Sul which means Southern Pantanal Jaguar.

It makes alot of sense given that jaguars had tough times back then with not only them being poached galore but also their preys as well.

So it only proves more and more that pantanal jaguars specially males were indeed smaller back then and today they're larger we can find males on that weight range and even larger much more common.

By the way There is an account I read of a ''pants shitting'' moment where Peter Crawshaw had to fend off a charging jaguar on barehands that just woke up after being anesthesed from a few people around it.

Onças do Iguaçú said There will be another Bafo de Onça in the future but they didn't give much details as of yet. So I will stay tuned for it. Laughing
7 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(05-25-2020, 07:02 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: @OncaAtrox @peter  @epaiva  @GuateGojira  @Pckts and others...

So its finally here, it took all my day translating it.

Here are the lessons taught by master Peter Crawshaw on the Bafo de Onça last night.

BAFO DE ONÇA LIVE ( Jaguar's Bad Breath )

Peter Crawshaw on Atlantic Forest Jaguar study at Iguaçú.

Peter Crawshaw when he went to work with Atlantic forest jaguars in April 1990. Initially the scientific theme of PHD was to compare 2 half sized carnivores, the original idea wasn't to work with jaguars ( In Atlantic Forest ). The original idea was to compare Ocelot and Bush Dogs (Cerdocyon thous ) relating to their ecology, demands and their resources. back in 1987 he found many signs tracks of bush dogs and almost saw them everyday and ocelots was easy to track too and ocelots was no different. but in 1990 for some reason either a fence or something else, he couldn't track bush dogs anymore and then he caught a few Ocelots and already through all of his experience in Pantanal he started finding some jaguars tracks as well at Estrada do Poço Preto and he decided to put larger traps as well and for his surprise he started to catch more jaguars than bush dogs haha. at end he had to talk to the committee and propose a change on the theme on the study of instead of comparing  two half sized carnivores of different sizes he could compare 2 felids of different sizes, and they accepted and foun interesting eventually and then the project started. and Based off of the partnership with Jeorge Schaller in Pantanal working with him in 2 areas of Pantanal and since there was no many info on the carnivores from Iguaçú, Crawshaw collared many animals in the area so he collared animals such as quati, irara, jaguarundis, macarajá cat and that's how they named the project ''Carnívoros do Iguaçú'' in this sense.

All of the atlantic forest jaguars captured and collared by Peter Crawshaw were poached by hunters ( he said the same happened in Pantanal as well ) and back then Peter and the team had to really go after the animal to localize it and the Iguaçú wilderness just like a sponge it seems like it absorbs all VHS signals (technology from that time) which was very hard to follow from the ground so they needed aereal technology through an agreement with the Park. Flying over Iguaçú theres was flights they could localize 15-17 animals with radio collars and after visualizing the animals, catch all details write down on the map where the animals were in numbers, date, hours of the localization then go down to the ground and do all the rest of the process such as passing to the grids and reading the coordinates everything makeshifted back at that time.

Regarding jaguars they collared 7 jaguars one of which was a whole family the CG female with 2 cubs from her first litter then they captured 1 more cub from CG's second litter and then they captured one that back then they coudn't prove it but they thought it was the son of a daughter of hers whom they could never capture.

All of it depending on the occupancy position areas of these animals and they used the same system for all species it was 21 Ocelots they collared, from the 7 atlantic forest jaguars 2 were in Argentina, the animal they caught in Argentina it was a troublesome one killing a dog on the porch in the Park near the airport and another one was captured and translocated and was killed eventually so all argentinian jaguars back then had problems and even CG female which was the main jaguar we accompanied for 14 months we got into the conclusion to remove her from the Park cause she was becoming way too aggressive, she had an aggressive nature and at time by the end of her monitoring she was pretty much preying on just domestic animals and approaching more and more people houses, and when we recaptured her we discovered she had an infection in her mouth on the teeth and all her canines were broken so she couldn't hunt properly anymore so she fed on domestic animals only and by her aggressive nature Peter talked to Ramos so they decided to take her to the Sorocaba Zoo.

When CG atlantic forest female was captured her teeth were starting to get yellowish so he believes she was 7 years old, they first captured her in July 31st 1991 and the second capture was around October,November 1992.

Regarding today's technology of collars, tracks overall that makes biologists not go to the field to get contact with the animal and losing their close connection Peter Crawshaw said its extremely important to take the best of both worlds ( past and present ) on one hand to extract what today's technology can offer make it easier to localize the animals and getting infos but however on the other hand you can't lose the intimate contact with the animal which gives you the experience to be able to think like the animals do, what makes them go to one place or the other, so you gotta learn to think like the animal and in order to get that, only the experience on the field will give you that.

Vânia said the good thing to work on fied is that you are able to discover other jaguars that haven't been registered as well as understanding the behaviour of other animals.

Males tolerance with one another.

More than 1 male were registered in the same region was mentioned and Peter Crawshaw said Its something interestig and its an area we're still learning alot with the current technology of intensive monitoring its a bit similar to what happens to the tiger in asia as well that actually they aren't as unsociable as we used to believe, so there's much more association for example between male jaguars and sometimes you can see associations of even coalitions of 2-3 males that walk together in a period, hunting, one vocalizing calling out the other to share the carcass and this seems more common than we used to imagine so we always thought males relations were just for competition for females but when there isn't competition for females the males have a bigger approach to one another more than we imagined.

Its mentioned by Rogério through Crawshaw's conclusion that there was an imagination and thought that the males were extremely dominant and territorial to the fullest that ''that's my territory, nobody can get in my area''. So we can see that there's a flexibility, dynamism much bigger of jaguar's social relations, We can see here at Iguaçú ( atlantic forest ) cameras register three males using  the same trail like Tarobá male and other males then there's a female passing by, so there's a big sharing of space which I think it all intensifies on everything revolves around the food offer and conditions the more conditions bigger the sharing.

Peter Crawshaw said normally and since jaguars is a difficult animal to capture they had a very little percentage of the population being monitored and now they're improving that capacity of capture and putting on collars so a bigger part of the population is being captured and monitored simultaneously and that gives us conditions and there's collars today that measures the approximation of other collared animals as well, so the collars can measure the sociality of each individual to its neighbour that are also wearing collars so we will understand them better, the moment we got more collared animals in one population we'll better get their sociality.

Captures with dogs

Peter said its very hard to capture jaguars with dogs in the Atlantic Forest cause the dogs are way too fast and venture deep into the forest after the jaguars and after 10 min. they can't even hear the dogs anymore so its hard to keep up due to the density of the forest.

Rogério mentioned the usual is the dogs corner the jaguar making the cat go up the tree and then that moment the humans come in to sedate it however if the humans don't show up and take too long the jaguar will go down and fight the dogs. So its always important to stay close.

Peter said the only times they used dogs at Iguaçú it was to recapture the jaguar so they already knew where the cat was so they only let go of the dogs when it was too close and they also had aereal support location so the animal didn't have much conditions to get away from the researchers. So they did 2 successfuly cause the jaguar already had the collar. In these moments its worth using the dogs.

Remaining Jaguars from Atlantic forest go back and forth sharing Brazil and Argentinian territories

Rogério says the ''loop trap'' whre the jags steps onto they have an area where they will capture the animals so they have a beforehand plan to get to know the animals habits and the areas they pass the most and so they put traps on both sides in Brazilian side and Argentinian side so they have a ''healthy competition'' ( Onças do Iguaçú and Proyecto Yaguareté ) haha. To see during 15 days of maximum concentration they remove/shut off the traps during the morning to ich loop the atlantic forest jaguar will step onto.

That period not catch a deer,tapir... they set up traps only on the passageway trails where they know jaguars are going to pass and step on by camera traps so they got strategic places to set the traps.

Atlantic Forest Jaguars of Parque Nacional do Turvo ( Southern Brazil )

The Famous Norwegian photographer Bjørn-Einar Nilsen ( he is a very very good guy ) whom was the first to photograph an Atlantic Forest jaguar in Parque Nacional do Turvo in 2017. He said there was 5 atlantic forest jaguars Boreal male, Boca-Braba male,Turuna ,Yaboti and another unidentified jaguar.

Bjørn-Einar Nilsen says Boreal male disappeared from Turvo and asks if he was seen in Iguaçú.

Peter Crawshaw responds ''It would be expect too much for the ones far south to show up here I think they wouldn't do that travel but there have been the exchange of information the animals that are showing up at Turvo wouldn't be there if it wasn't the conexion with Argentina certainly so in order for Turvo be viable as a protected area for jaguars there has to be kept this conexion with Moconá and Provincia de Misiones and it is something that existed since that time ( back in the days ) because there was a project Felinos do Turvo back then and we tried with the resources we had back that time with the technical team of agriculture secretary of unities of conservation of Rio Grande do Sul. We even collared a jaguar but there was no financial cooperation from Rio Grande do Sul State to garantee the monitoring and the information ended up lost. I even provided a collar that time it was a collar supposed to be used in Turvo but he put there and there wasn't the monitoring we expected.

Jaguar and Puma overlaps.

Vânia explains both species use the same area but with Atlantic forest Jaguars and Ocelots  being more nocturnal active cats in Iguaçú whereas Pumas are also nocturnal but they were active much more on daytime than jaguars so maybe the utilization of the area at different times help the exisistence of both species now the next analysis is the usage of space which will respond how they use that space and if they use it on different forms to avoid competition.

A very interesting question to Peter here:

Someone asked: Is there a notion of percentage of jaguars born that don't survive by predation of other animals?? and by total mortality rate??

Peter Crawshaw answered:  ''I think there isn't such a study yet, this information is not known in any of the studied areas maybe what exists are sporadic datas, I don't remember now any jaguar killed by natural predator but I remember Puma specially predated by Anaconda, I think theres 2 cases one of which we published in São Paulo about a 45kg adult female Puma predated by Anaconda, but regarding cubs we gotta see if that includes infanticide mortality by the own jaguars as well not only by males but also females as well there's an infanticide work by Fernando Tortato and Alison in Fazenda São Bento in where they show other females may kill in aglomarations around the carcasses and the competition for cattle carcasses may induct infanticides in high density of jaguars as well. Regarding possible predators  I think it could be Caimans specially Black Caimans in Amazon, when a female and cubs are crossing the river I think black caimans can be a possible predator but I think via rule I think female jaguars are exceptional mothers so as long as she's protecting the cubs the probability of other predator catch the cubs is low. But the way these infos will come in of rare events with the long terms projects work along the years  then we will start to gather all of it to give us a minimum idea of what happens in nature.''

Peter also mentioned something he recalled '' One more thing regarding jaguar mortality there are also cases, at least one case I remember of one young male jaguar that was killed by pecaries in Ato Pinheiro Venezuela, it was a failed hunt the pecaries turned against him and caught him on the ground the jaguar was not fast enough to climb the tree and the pecaries killed him.  So it can't be considered a predator even because pecaries is the most habituated prey of the jaguar but just to show you that in Nature nothing is always equal, there are always exceptions so the jaguars have to take care as well.''

''I think it even happens more often than we imagine but it is a situation I am not sure if the jaguar kills one and then have to look for shelter/hide if the peccaries turns the table over the jaguar and then the jaguar go feed on the carcass after the pecaries disperse, so I think it happens more often than we imagine.''

I had 2 questions.

My 1st question was ''How is the relation between Black Caimans and Amazonic Jaguars in Amazon and how do they deal with each other? ''

This wasn't asked to Peter, very little questions from the comment section were lucky enough to be asked and answered by him, but just by what he already said above regarding Black Caimans already counts.

I had a second question which was thankfully answered by Peter Crawshaw himself and saved my night. shocked

Those who understand portuguese can even check at around ( -42:28min ) of the video his answer to my 2nd question.

My 2nd question was ''How big was the largest jaguar ever captured by Peter Crawshaw?''

His answer was: ''The largest jaguar I ever captured weighed 130kg in Porto Primavera...''  

By that moment he was gonna give me more details but unfortunately the biologist woman interupted his answer regarding the 130kg jag and drove the question to the largest one he ever captured at Iguaçú. 

Then he answered  '' the largest jaguar from Iguaçú ( Atlantic Forest jaguar ) I ever captured weighed 95kg he was son of CG female and it was during his second capture, we captured him using the dogs.''

I really wanted to know more about the largest jag he ever captured the 130kg one, but I am happy she asked him and at least now we already know the largest one he ever captured.

The jaguar may have been a male no doubt about that.

And Porto Primavera is located in Mato Grosso do Sul which means Southern Pantanal Jaguar.

It makes alot of sense given that jaguars had tough times back then with not only them being poached galore but also their preys as well.

So it only proves more and more that pantanal jaguars specially males were indeed smaller back then and today they're larger we can find males on that weight range and even larger much more common.

By the way There is an account I read of a ''pants shitting'' moment where Peter Crawshaw had to fend off a charging jaguar on barehands that just woke up after being anesthesed from a few people around it.

Onças do Iguaçú said There will be another Bafo de Onça in the future but they didn't give much details as of yet. So I will stay tuned for it. Laughing
Amazing compilation of information as always Dark Jaguar! Looks like I have new jaguar weight to add to our table :)

The peccary retaliatory killing of jaguars is amazing information, peccary is an underrated prey species as many people just see them as smaller docile hogs when in fact they can prove lethal due to their long canines. It's also great to get confirmation about the size of Iguacu jaguars, they're definitely much smaller than neighboring Pantanal which is expected since their main prey are small rodents like agouti.

We'll be looking forward to the next live with Peter, hopefully I can join and get more answers regarding the Pantanal jaguar he mentioned on this live and was interrupted on.
3 users Like Balam's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

@Dark Jaguar 
Thanks a lot for sharing your super valuable information of Jaguars with the forum.
Pecaries are very dangerous animals that attack in groups and yes they can kill Jaguars for sure, normally they weight from 20 to 30 kilograms they are very ferocious animals that can do a lot of damage.
Pecaries are a very important prey for the Jaguars all over their distribution, Jaguars normally hunt the Pecari that is going in the back of the group, when Jaguars make the mistake of attacking a Pecarie that is one of the firsts in group is when they attack the JAguar and kill it
4 users Like epaiva's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-25-2020, 07:43 PM by Dark Jaguar )

@OncaAtrox

Thank you and yeah in Brazil Atlantic Forest Jaguars are smaller than both Pantanal and Cerrado jaguars.

Peccaries best defense is the attack and they are smart animals they tree their target and keep waiting them climb down the tree for hours and hours just like aggressive Javapigs.

Their teeth are extremely dangerous, some people might find them docile, their teeth are hid most of the times but when you take a look at their skull you really see what you're dealing with.

And we gotta keep an eye on the Jaguars from Turvo as well, Bjørn-Einar Nilsen told me one of the ways the jaguars are coming back and forth is through the Uruguayan river. Its a shame Boreal male disappeared suddenly hopefully he'll be back. But he also told me there are poachers in that area sadly.

Parque Nacional do Turvo has all the potential to become a conservation area again specially with the jaguars seen there in the last few years but this time hopefully with the proper financial support from the State.

@epaiva

You welcome, Yes when you gather all geographic distribution of jaguars preys throughout their whole range the peccaries are the really important prey on their diet.

I completely agree pecaries in groups is no joke. Jaguars have to attack the horde by the back, taking all of them together by the front would be suicidal. I recall Leandro Silveira saying pecaries in groups are very complicated animals just like bee swarms.
3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post