There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

Greece LionKiss Offline

it seems that we are getting closer to the date of a serious confrontation for territorial claims,
let's hope that the cubs will survive
1 user Likes LionKiss's post

Greece LionKiss Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-08-2016, 05:33 PM by LionKiss )

I would like to ask a question about the Majingilane cubs,
After killing KT and chasing Mr.T away the Majingilane dominated the Eastern Kingdom, took over all prides they and started producing new cubs, right?
so by the end of 2010 or 2011 there must have come new Majingilane cubs to life. By now 2016, they must be 5 years old, where are they?
do they have created some new coalition and have dominated other territories?
does anyone know?
2 users Like LionKiss's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

You have the older one, the oranged eyes Fourways male that was ousted from his territory some months back. He was born in 2010, when the Majingilane took over their land.

*This image is copyright of its original author

And then you have the two Styx males, that were born in January 2011.

Then you have the three Sparta young males, that are around 3 years old and the Tsalala young males, that are 2 1/2 years old.
As for females I'm not sure how many of them are, but there must be some.
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

Thank you @sanjay for posting about the confrontation, I was about to do the same.

I think one thing to note is that not always lions fight to the death, in fact they try to avoid it if they can. That is a grave misconception that leads some to think of them as some cat diety, when they're just animals.
That's why in the article it was noted this:
"I suppose two ageing coalitions that are both at a stage in their lives in which they are looking to do little more than consolidate territory cannot afford to be taking unnecessary risks. Nothing was really at stake here. It was simply a case of firm territorial lines being drawn in the sand."

I don't think the Majingilane really want Londolozi back. I think they rather want the Matimbas away from the territorial border they share. And they have the means to do it if they want. One of the comments below the article said:
Those Matimba were noticeably (wisely) silent when the 4th member of the Majinge’s was in the Sands a few weeks ago!

At the end of the day, this is a numbers game. And the Majingilane have the numbers.

The boys after the confrontation, pic credits to Thomas Majewski

6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

From Singita:
The bros showing some love.

And from Dulini:
Hip Scar and Scar Nose share a few thoughts...

6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Greece LionKiss Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-08-2016, 11:03 PM by LionKiss )

do they have only 3 sons?
The Manjs are one the most formitable and brilliant coalition,
they 4 huge males
they reign for about 5-6 years
no one has challenged them all those years,
they control ate least 3-4 prides with at least 2-3 lionesses in each,

and they have only 3 sons?
//

have the sons formed some new coalition?

//

In the othawa pride must be lionesses who are the daughters of the Mapogos who have not been killed by the Majingilane when the took over the pride, right?
this is what this video implies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kECE3qqOknU
1 user Likes LionKiss's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-08-2016, 11:12 PM by Tshokwane )

Three sons? No. You asked about the older ones. Well, those three are the older sons they have. 
Then, you have the 3 young Sparta males, the 3 young Tsalala males and the 3 young Mangheni males. Then you have 3 Othawa cubs and 5 newborn cubs from one of the Mhangeni lionesses.
As for how many daughters they have, I'm not sure, but they have plenty.

Here's an article written in the londolozi blog, dated from June 2015. 
It's called Happy Father’s Day to the Majingilane

As fathers, and therefore protectors, we have to look elsewhere for shining examples, and we need look no further than the Mapogos’ usurpers, the Majingilane.
At first count – and my maths is bad – I can think of at least 21 offspring currently alive and over two years old that this coalition has fathered. And this does not include cubs from the prides in the west that the Majingilane took over in the last year. The Styx males, at least one of the Fourways males (possibly both), four Tsalala offspring and the young lioness, four young lions in the Sparta pride and the nine Mhangeni sub-adults (although I have heard reports that this number may be down to eight now) are all Majingilane offspring that have a more-than-even chance at making it to maturity.

Among the younger lions, most notably Mhangeni and Tsalala, the young males are still most certainly not out of the woods, and the older Sparta young males are about to be kicked out of the territory for good. With about one out of every eight male cubs surviving to maturity, one can appreciate that not all of these males may make it to breeding age, but the Majingilane, in protecting the pride territories for as long as they have, have given them as good a chance as they could have.

The young lionesses, destined to stay with their prides, have a good chance of surviving to sexual maturity, and with eight of them potentially breeding within the next couple of years, the genes of the Majingilane seem to be on a firm wicket.

So on Father’s Day, even as the Majingilane themselves look to fade into oblivion over the next couple of years, we can still celebrate their legacy, and acknowledge the genetic success they seem destined to achieve.
4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Greece LionKiss Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-14-2016, 11:58 AM by LionKiss )

for sure the Majingilane will pass in to the History as the most successful coalition, they created a standard future coalitions will be compared to.

I would be curious to see how the Majingilane/Othawa males will develop,
there are genes of the Mapogos in othawa pride, right?
3 users Like LionKiss's post

Greece LionKiss Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-11-2016, 02:37 AM by LionKiss )

the death of last adult Ximhungwe lioness by the Majingilane/Othawa(mapogo's) super-creatures, 

at 2:22 the second Majingilane attacks his brother and tries to save her, probably was the one mating with her some days earlier.

I would speculate and say that indeed with her death saved her cubs because if she was accepted by the Othawa/Majigilane, the Majingilane would definitely have killed her cubs. Now 3 of them are still alive.

3 users Like LionKiss's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

I would think that the flashlights and obvious close proximity of the onlookers would interfere with the nature of things... ?
3 users Like brotherbear's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Nice video shared @LionKiss
3 users Like sanjay's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

(01-10-2016, 10:51 PM)brotherbear Wrote: I would think that the flashlights and obvious close proximity of the onlookers would interfere with the nature of things... ?

From everything I've read no, they're so used to it that it doesn't bother them.

Thank you for sharing the video, LionKiss.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States stoja9 Offline
Banned

I don't believe they can even see the light. It just slightly brightens their night vision but doesn't affect them the way it does humans.
3 users Like stoja9's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

The boys on their way to Leopard Hills

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

lioncrazy Offline

Everyone I see says the majigilanes look frail and old do you agree @majigilane
1 user Likes lioncrazy's post