There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Felids Interactions - Interspecific Conflicts

Mexico Shir Babr Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-30-2018, 03:11 PM by Rishi )

Of course, a thread about interspecies interaction and people shouldn't feel the urge to put the avoidable; who's stronger... Not to mention the pics about specimens killed by humans that has nothing to do with the topic neither.

Belgium leopard Offline

Here are some leopard vs lion encounters (Btw, I'm Luipaard, I just lost my password).

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like leopard's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
Tongue  ( This post was last modified: 05-03-2018, 08:25 PM by Rishi )

Lioness: A heathen approacheth. Take cover!

Hyena: Oh *female hyena* My love.
Her teeth are fair and, fairer than that word.
Of wondrous virtues.
Her sunny locks, 
hang on her neck like a golden ruff.... Whaaaaaaa!

Lioness: Deus Vult. Chaaaaarge!

Hyena: Huffpuff huffpuffhuffpuff—ACK! My leg!

4 users Like Rishi's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover
( This post was last modified: 05-03-2018, 11:34 AM by Rishi )

@Rishi :

About #273: not very skillful the lionesses... But this is not a spotted hyena (very common), but I would say a brown hyena i.e. a much rarer species. Thus the conclusion, the outcome, is really good.
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Russian Federation AlexE Offline
Watchlisted Member
( This post was last modified: 05-05-2018, 05:25 AM by Rishi Edit Reason: corrected the formating )

Mountain lion and coyote fight.

The cougar (Puma concolor), also puma, mountain lion, cool cat, or panther, depending on region, is a mammal of the Felidae family, native to the Americas. Close relative to the cheetah and the jaguarundi.

The coyote, Canis latrans, also known as the American jackal, brush wolf or the prairie wolf, is a species of canine found throughout North and Central America, ranging from Panama in the south, north through Mexico, the United States and Canada.

JACKSON HOLE, WYO –
~~~ WARNING, video may be disturbing for some. ~~~
Lindley Nickels caught photo and video of a mountain lion attacking a coyote near the Snake River overlook yesterday. In the photo, the lion can plainly be seen wearing a radio collar device.

A very rare opportunity, indeed. Great job, Lindley, and thanks for the footage.

https://buckrail.com/snapped-lion-vs-coyote/

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

(05-05-2018, 12:28 AM)AlexE Wrote: Mountain lion and coyote fight. (Adult mountain lion can't kill coyote quickly)

The cougar (Puma concolor), also puma, mountain lion, cool cat, or panther, depending on region, is a mammal of the Felidae family, native to the Americas. Close relative to the cheetah and the jaguarundi.

The coyote, Canis latrans, also known as the American jackal, brush wolf or the prairie wolf, is a species of canine found throughout North and Central America, ranging from Panama in the south, north through Mexico, the United States and Canada.

JACKSON HOLE, WYO –
~~~ WARNING, video may be disturbing for some. ~~~
Lindley Nickels caught photo and video of a mountain lion attacking a coyote near the Snake River overlook yesterday. In the photo, the lion can plainly be seen wearing a radio collar device.
A very rare opportunity, indeed. Great job, Lindley, and thanks for the footage.

https://buckrail.com/snapped-lion-vs-coyote/

Never heard the names "cool cat" (except for a cartoon) or "american jackal", before. Judging by the pic and the size of coyotes (because I can't see anything in the video), the puma looks rather small.

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to @saedgraficss.

Different builds for different purposes.

6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Watchlisted Member
( This post was last modified: 05-18-2018, 07:27 PM by AlexE )

Leopard hyena. Hyena almost attacked by leopard

Previously we showed a hyena pirating prey from a leopard. Though the leopard tried to stand its ground, the hyena boldly rushed in to grab the prey. Twice the leopard tried to fend off the thief but in the end the hyena triumphed and carried off the remains of the carcass. 

But hyenas do not always walk away unscathed from interactions with leopards. There is one record of a leopard which not only knew the trick of keeping a hyena at bay, but also killed it and it did so not only once, but three times!
4 users Like AlexE's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-19-2018, 04:01 AM by Pantherinae )

(05-18-2018, 07:23 PM)AlexE Wrote: Leopard hyena. Hyena almost attacked by leopard

Previously we showed a hyena pirating prey from a leopard. Though the leopard tried to stand its ground, the hyena boldly rushed in to grab the prey. Twice the leopard tried to fend off the thief but in the end the hyena triumphed and carried off the remains of the carcass. 

But hyenas do not always walk away unscathed from interactions with leopards. There is one record of a leopard which not only knew the trick of keeping a hyena at bay, but also killed it and it did so not only once, but three times!

Hyenas and Leopards are evenly matched. Some fanatics on both sides will argue that one species are superior to the other, but that's a big lie. Even me as a cat fanatic will say this. After watching and reading about African cats as long as I can remember I have grown to respect the hyena massively they are though as tanks! And just like with different individual cats the hyenas will vary in aggression and courage based on sex and rank.

Male Leopards are powerful predators, but mostly even they will back away from a big aggressive hyena, because they cannot risk any injuries. Lower ranked hyenas are skittish and nervous and can be held back by a cheetah.
Hyenas also differ much in size across Africa with smaller hyenas in the East of Africa and Zambia being said to hold the biggest, I haven't heard anything about weights in Botswana, but I have seen some absolute monsters down there in the Okavango that will go one on with a lioness. So I would probably estimate them even bigger than the ones from Zambia in my personal opinion, Leopards in Africa are said to grow biggest in South Africa and Namibia (I think) and I have seen very impressive specimens from Congo.
So all I can say is that for a male leopard to kill an adult hyena it' would take a massive amount of effort (and risks) remember a hyena can take a ton of punishment from several lionesses and still get away relatively fine. So it would definitely not be easy task for a lone leopard to do what a group of lionesses often will fail at. Maybe a small low ranked male hyena, but a large matriarch would be a stupid thing for even the biggest of Leopards because he can just as easily end up dead himself.

But fantastic video and thank you so much for sharing :)
4 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I was just mentioning Botswana hyenas, lions from Botswana get a lot of mentioning around on forums, but the hyenas that they have are just as impressive. Look at this video! 
The three lionesses attacks one of the two hyenas that carelessly shares a meal with them. Then notice how the second hyena rushes head first in on three lionesses to protect his clan member, it's insane! Nowhere else have I ever seen this! 
Impressive for sure!
2 users Like Pantherinae's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Pantherinae :

About #280: Several authors, among them the famous Dereck and Beverly Joubert, told than the rivalry between lions and hyenas is fiercer in Botswana than everywhere else... See the "Eternal enemies" (documentary video), "lions of Savuti, hunting with the moon" (book)... In the Savuti for exemple, the big preys are scarcer than in Tanzania for example, the lions take risks by daring to take on elephants, hippopotamus and buffalos much more often than everywhere else in their other habitats of the Africa continent. If the preys are more difficult to bring down, the fights to keep them are fiercer, because the hyenas dare to be more audacious to appropriate them...
2 users Like Spalea's post

Watchlisted Member
( This post was last modified: 05-22-2018, 11:19 PM by AlexE )

(05-19-2018, 03:44 AM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(05-18-2018, 07:23 PM)AlexE Wrote: Leopard hyena. Hyena almost attacked by leopard

Hyenas and Leopards are evenly matched. Some fanatics on both sides will argue that one species are superior to the other, but that's a big lie. Even me as a cat fanatic will say this. After watching and reading about African cats as long as I can remember I have grown to respect the hyena massively they are though as tanks! And just like with different individual cats the hyenas will vary in aggression and courage based on sex and rank.

Male Leopards are powerful predators, but mostly even they will back away from a big aggressive hyena, because they cannot risk any injuries. Lower ranked hyenas are skittish and nervous and can be held back by a cheetah.
Hyenas also differ much in size across Africa with smaller hyenas in the East of Africa and Zambia being said to hold the biggest, I haven't heard anything about weights in Botswana, but I have seen some absolute monsters down there in the Okavango that will go one on with a lioness. So I would probably estimate them even bigger than the ones from Zambia in my personal opinion, Leopards in Africa are said to grow biggest in South Africa and Namibia (I think) and I have seen very impressive specimens from Congo.  
So all I can say is that for a male leopard to kill an adult hyena it' would take a massive amount of effort (and risks) remember a hyena can take a ton of punishment from several lionesses and still get away relatively fine. So it would definitely not be easy task for a lone leopard to do what a group of lionesses often will fail at. Maybe a small low ranked male hyena, but a large matriarch would be a stupid thing for even the biggest of Leopards because he can just as easily end up dead himself.

Real fight

But here there’s no call for aggression from either side here. The leopard has nothing, except for its peace and quiet, to defend. The hyena won’t attack because there is nothing to scavenge. For now the two adversaries will tolerate one another - next time ‘round, it might be an altogether different case.

Thursday, October 5, 1995

We are a subdued group driving back to camp. On the way, we see the carcass of a dead hyena wedged high in a tree. This is a suprise. Hyena are not often a meal for leopard.

http://www.netsnake.com/africa-tour/af1005/af1005.html

Other carnivores are also fair game to leopards. While lions may invest a great deal of energy in killing fellow predators, their motivation seems more to eliminate competition than to acquire food, and they frequently leave such kills untouched. Leopards, however, have been recorded killing and eating everything from dwarf mongooses to adult spotted hyaenas. One well-observed Ngorongoro Crater leopard killed and ate 11 jackals in less than a month, which suggests that small canids may be preferred prey when abundant, and there is considerable truth in the belief that leopards are partial to dogs. Such unusual preferences may vary from region to region. In arid north-eastern Namibia, researcher Flip Stander discovered adult cheetahs were sometimes killed as prey by leopards, a remarkable occurrence also recently observed by tourists in the Kalahari Gemsbok National Park in South Africa. Yet in the comparitively lush bushveld of northern KwaZulu-Natal, I saw three cases of leopards killing cheetahs and leaving the carcasses untouched. Perhaps where the density of more 'typical' prey species is low - such as in desert regions - leopards cannot afford to be choosy and are more likely to eat the meat of other predators.

Paris, June 24.—In the St. Louis Hospital this morning Dr. Clement Roeland, a noted surgeon, sewed up the more than half severed tail of a monster leopard in the Neuilly menageries. The leopard had been in battle, with two hyenas, killing both, but the female hyena before the end came to her managed to bite through the leopard's tail in the centre. 
The big cat was lied down on an operating table, securely muzzled and the operation was made without the use of anaesthetics. The tail was stitched with thin platinum wire, the bones co-related and the injured section then put in a plaster of Paris cast, beneath which, it is said, the bone and tissue eventually will unite. 
Dr. Roeland, who has admiration for wild animals, has before this operated on a Nubian lion and has given curative electric treatment to a panther.

We left at 05h00 and after deciding who was going where we were off. I went along the cut line to check if there were any lion tracks. Before I got very far, Alistair called us to come and see what he had found.....When we got close all we heard was a massive noise, hyenas howling and leopards growling. When I finally moved into the sighting it was amazing; there were 3 hyenas that were being slapped around by a big male leopard, the one we call Sand River. The hyenas were trying to steal what we then thought was the leopard's kill, a small impala. They attacked from all sides and he was thrashing them one by one ......the one hyena had no ear and most of his nose was torn off. The others were also in pretty bad shape. In amongst all the fighting they finally got away with the kill. We thought it was all over when another big older male leopard arrived. He had heard all the commotion and came to inspect what was going on. Once realising he was not tough enough to fight all the hyenas he also ran off, leaving the original leopard to contemplate the loss of his impala.

http://www.e-travelworld.cn/sabisabi/saf...f-life.htm

My opinion remains the same.

leopards is stronger than the hyenas / mountain lions
hyenas / mountain lions is stronger than the wolves
wolves is stronger than the domestic dogs
1 user Likes AlexE's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-22-2018, 11:00 PM)AlexE Wrote:

Real fight

But here there’s no call for aggression from either side here. The leopard has nothing, except for its peace and quiet, to defend. The hyena won’t attack because there is nothing to scavenge. For now the two adversaries will tolerate one another - next time ‘round, it might be an altogether different case.

We are a subdued group driving back to camp. On the way, we see the carcass of a dead hyena wedged high in a tree. This is a suprise. Hyena are not often a meal for leopard.

Other carnivores are also fair game to leopards. While lions may invest a great deal of energy in killing fellow predators, their motivation seems more to eliminate competition than to acquire food, and they frequently leave such kills untouched. Leopards, however, have been recorded killing and eating everything from dwarf mongooses to adult spotted hyaenas. One well-observed Ngorongoro Crater leopard killed and ate 11 jackals in less than a month, which suggests that small canids may be preferred prey when abundant, and there is considerable truth in the belief that leopards are partial to dogs. Such unusual preferences may vary from region to region. In arid north-eastern Namibia, researcher Flip Stander discovered adult cheetahs were sometimes killed as prey by leopards, a remarkable occurrence also recently observed by tourists in the Kalahari Gemsbok National Park in South Africa. Yet in the comparitively lush bushveld of northern KwaZulu-Natal, I saw three cases of leopards killing cheetahs and leaving the carcasses untouched. Perhaps where the density of more 'typical' prey species is low - such as in desert regions - leopards cannot afford to be choosy and are more likely to eat the meat of other predators.

Paris, June 24.—In the St. Louis Hospital this morning Dr. Clement Roeland, a noted surgeon, sewed up the more than half severed tail of a monster leopard in the Neuilly menageries. The leopard had been in battle, with two hyenas, killing both, but the female hyena before the end came to her managed to bite through the leopard's tail in the centre. 
The big cat was lied down on an operating table, securely muzzled and the operation was made without the use of anaesthetics. The tail was stitched with thin platinum wire, the bones co-related and the injured section then put in a plaster of Paris cast, beneath which, it is said, the bone and tissue eventually will unite. 
Dr. Roeland, who has admiration for wild animals, has before this operated on a Nubian lion and has given curative electric treatment to a panther.

We left at 05h00 and after deciding who was going where we were off. I went along the cut line to check if there were any lion tracks. Before I got very far, Alistair called us to come and see what he had found.....When we got close all we heard was a massive noise, hyenas howling and leopards growling. When I finally moved into the sighting it was amazing; there were 3 hyenas that were being slapped around by a big male leopard, the one we call Sand River. The hyenas were trying to steal what we then thought was the leopard's kill, a small impala. They attacked from all sides and he was thrashing them one by one ......the one hyena had no ear and most of his nose was torn off. The others were also in pretty bad shape. In amongst all the fighting they finally got away with the kill. We thought it was all over when another big older male leopard arrived. He had heard all the commotion and came to inspect what was going on. Once realising he was not tough enough to fight all the hyenas he also ran off, leaving the original leopard to contemplate the loss of his impala.

Yes as I said the leopard is capable of killing a hyena even adults, but smaller ones, a big hyena would most likely kill a smaller leopard if it was a fight to death. You can't say it's a solid fact based on a incident or two with some individuals specializing on doing things others wouldn't. 
Hyenas are tough and can take an astonishing amount of punishment from other carnivores and other hyenas. A leopard would need to use a ton of valuable energy and even more risk to attack an equally sized hyena. One bite in a foot from the hyena And the leopard would be in serious trouble.

Watchlisted Member

(05-22-2018, 11:25 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(05-22-2018, 11:00 PM)AlexE Wrote:

Real fight

Yes as I said the leopard is capable of killing a hyena even adults, but smaller ones, a big hyena would most likely kill a smaller leopard if it was a fight to death. You can't say it's a solid fact based on a incident or two with some individuals specializing on doing things others wouldn't. 
Hyenas are tough and can take an astonishing amount of punishment from other carnivores and other hyenas. A leopard would need to use a ton of valuable energy and even more risk to attack an equally sized hyena. One bite in a foot from the hyena And the leopard would be in serious trouble.

I can say that the leopard can kill elephant. But this is not true. These are just words.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@AlexE  here is videos of smaller/younger male leopards against massive female hyenas. If it so was a was a fight to death, I think it would be stupid to not put you're money on the larger hyena. if it was a larger leopard it would be way more difficult to predict. 

That's what I'm trying to say, when animals are so evenly matched that it comes down to individuals. The two species ar 50/50 in my book. Leopards are tough and hyenas are tough. 

3 users Like Pantherinae's post