There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Felids Interactions - Interspecific Conflicts

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(01-22-2018, 10:46 PM)sanjay Wrote: He is one of the luckiest leopard, Manage to escape from 2 tigers

Any idea on the tigers ID?
I'd assume siblings since they both are together, I'm curious as to which ones.
Nice find

Mexico CrysOmega Offline

Was gardenia north Serengeti male leopard walked into lions territory and was a big fight four lionesses two big male lions and four cubs with 6month old but u cant believe leopard won bit them all
http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/uriogodwin5

*This image is copyright of its original author

6 users Like CrysOmega's post

United States TheLioness Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

It is interesting to see encounters between lions and leopards. We know without a doubt the latter would win, however there are times like above where the leopard stays alive. Are the lions simply not that interested in killing it? Are they simply not wanting to get injured? All we can say in these cases, what a lucky leopard.

Here a lioness killed an adult male leopard. Lioness xpl-55 sadly passed away later from the wounds she sustained.
They have survived against all odds after their mother (Xpl-55) died from wounds that she sustained from killing an adult male leopard 7 seven months ago.
http://www.desertlion.info/news.html
6 users Like TheLioness's post

India sanjay Online
Co-owner of Wildfact

@CyrsOmega Here what I read further form the same link you provided -

"Leopard was hunting one pair of jackal and jackals sow him start to fight back by barking and chase the leopard toward the lions territory were pride of lion not far as we know lions when they are full bell spend their time slipping sow leopard didnt see themhe found him self in the middle of the lions pride and fight startand leopard won."
2 users Like sanjay's post

South Africa HouseOfLions Offline

(01-27-2018, 12:11 AM)TheLioness Wrote: It is interesting to see encounters between lions and leopards. We know without a doubt the latter would win, however there are times like above where the leopard stays alive. Are the lions simply not that interested in killing it? Are they simply not wanting to get injured? All we can say in these cases, what a lucky leopard.

Here a lioness killed an adult male leopard. Lioness xpl-55 sadly passed away later from the wounds she sustained.
They have survived against all odds after their mother (Xpl-55) died from wounds that she sustained from killing an adult male leopard 7 seven months ago.
http://www.desertlion.info/news.html
I was thinking the same thing. What surprised me the most is the males didn't step in and finish the job. Most males don't tolerate other predators and finish them off if they can. So the fact the leopard survived is really surprising, especially when he was in the presence of 2 males.

Canada GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-31-2018, 03:26 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

BTW, the poster of the video is a lion basher, and just ignore its headline, and it is definitely a male Amur and a male African who sought for the territorial dominance.

And please refrain to turn this into lion vs tiger again, the purpose of posting this video is for observation only.

6 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-31-2018, 05:47 AM by Pckts )

I’m sure they were raised together and it’s a spat between brothers. It doesn’t look like anything serious.
5 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

I agree with pckts, nothing serious.
2 users Like TheLioness's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

1 user Likes TheLioness's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Hyena Walks Right into a Pride of Lions

February 6, 2018

https://www.latestsightings.com/single-p...-Kgalagadi
3 users Like Pckts's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Latest Sightings Kruger.

Hyenas Bully Old Leopard:

This injured leopard was down and out of his luck when a clan of hyenas came across his path, and being opportunistic by nature, the hyenas did not waste any time diving in to attack…

Fransie Booysen (57), captured the footage on last week, on the H14, about 12 km from the H9. She told Latestsightings.com about the experience: “We were in the park the whole day driving around and we saw lots of normal game. At approximately 15:30 we happened to come across this sighting. I noticed what looked to be a very thin and injured leopard who was being surrounded and bullied by a few hyenas."

"I could see that the leopard was in great distress and great trouble. This sighting was very rare to me, as we have stayed just outside the Kruger for 11 years and we are in the Park at least once a week, and we have never seen or experienced a similar sighting."

"As the sighting started playing itself out, I was terrified, as this was so disturbing and cruel. I couldn’t help but be in tears, however, I know that this is the way of nature. I was watching how the hyenas kept on trying to bite the leopard and they were relentless in antagonising him."

"The hyenas eventually backed off a little distance away and then the badly injured leopard struggled to get into a culvert. The hyenas also went to this culvert and we could hear them, but couldn’t see anything anymore. I am not sure of the fate of this leopard but analysing the situation one can only imagine that his destiny was sealed."

"Always take in the greatness of the surroundings you are in no matter how hard they might be to handle”.

1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Tshokwane :

About #206: How cruel is this... This leopard which, during his whole life, might look up and down contemptuously the hyenas...

Yes ok, I'm anthropomorphic. But, IMO, the leopards have class...
3 users Like Spalea's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-21-2018, 02:36 AM by Tshokwane )

(02-21-2018, 12:55 AM)Spalea Wrote: But, IMO, the leopards have class...

Yes, they do. 

And I'm pretty sure that when he was a bit younger and fitter, they would not have dared to treat him like that.

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States paul cooper Offline
Banned

"CHANDRAPUR: A fully grown male adult leopard was killed by a tiger reportedly in a territorial dispute under Bhadrawati forest range.

According to a press release issued here today by the forest department, the incident came to notice when one of the forest guards was on patrol in Kachrala beat under Bhadrawati forest range yesterday at about 4.30 pm.

On noticing the leopard's dead body in compartment number 204 under the Kachrala beat, pugmarks of a tiger were located around the spot.

It was also observed that the leopard's body had injuries and deep scars on its back, caused by tiger claws.

However, all body parts of the leopard including its claws, whiskers, canines and skin were intact.

Chief Conservator of Forests (Chandrapur Division) Sanjay Thakre, divisional forest officer S S Patil, Honorary Wildlife Warden Bandu Dhotre and others were present when the post mortem was conducted by a veterinary doctor at the spot."
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new...860079.cms

"Tiger kills leopard for intruding into its territory

LUCKNOW: The shrinking forest cover has brought even tigers and leopards face to face within protected areas. The law of the jungle maintains that if a Leopard trespasses onto a tiger's territory then it gets killed. That is what happened on Sunday when a leopard entered into the territory of the tiger and was killed by the latter, in North Kheri forest division.

The leopard was an adult and the pugmarks of the tiger around its body confirm that the leopard died while fighting with the tiger. According to KK Singh, divisional forest officer, North Kheri, the leopard could have been killed by the tiger when it trespassed on its territory.

The body of the leopard was found lying in Matehi village area of North Kheri on Sunday. The body was brought to Dhaurara range of the division for the post-mortem and further investigation. However, the tiger did not eat the leopard.

North kheri is almost adjacent to Nishangadha range of Katarniaghat division. Katarniaghat has a good population of leopards which keeps visiting North Kheri region.

The tussle between the tigers and leopards can also be explained in terms of the declining prey base. Both the big cats depend on wild boars and blue bulls for the diet but the forests are slowly getting devoid of these animals. The leopard was a victim of this battle for supremacy."
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city...914605.cms

"A leopard aged about two-and-half-years was found dead in Muthodi range of Bhadra tiger reserve on Monday morning. Forest officials said the death was the result of a tiger attack. This is a rare case because the two don’t usually engage in fights.
However, experts pointed out that it does happen rarely.  Principal chief conservator of forests (wildlife) BK Singh pointed out that the postmortem reports revealed that the cause of the leopard’s death was due to a tiger attack.
“Such things are not common as leopards are swift and the tigers cannot reach them,” he said. “However, in this case, the leopard did have a fight with the tiger,” he added.
The leopard had bled profusely and was injured in the liver. There were pounce marks on the carcass and injuries on its back and abdomen.
The report revealed that the leopard was aged around two-and-half years and was a female. Though the tiger had not killed the leopard, there were signs of fight in the vicinity of the carcass.
Noted tiger scientist and director of Centre for Wildlife Studies, K Ullas Karanth, said, “There have been cases in the past where a lion or a tiger have killed a leopard. This happens due to inter-specific competition. Usually a tiger finds it hard to catch a leopard as the latter climbs trees and escape. But once it gets hold of a leopard, the tiger kills it. This is because the leopards are 3-4 times smaller than tigers. Similar killings have been spotted in Khana and Ranthambore. Once a Y radio-collared tigress had held a leopard on a tree for an entire night, and the next day the leopard was found dead.”
About 20 tigers and 40 leopards are estimated to habituate the Bhadra tiger reserve."
http://www.dnaindia.com/bangalore/report...se-1499213

McDougal:

United States paul cooper Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 02-21-2018, 10:06 AM by Rishi )