There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Felids Interactions - Interspecific Conflicts

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-02-2020, 07:58 PM by Dark Jaguar )

(06-02-2020, 07:07 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 05:33 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 05:29 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 04:18 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: Male jag vs Giant Anteater

These anteaters have magnificent tails, nice to see that it could handle the situation. It´s good, that there are some animals limiting ant numbers :)

Yeah you're right, jaguars better not sleep on those deadly claws, they're extremely careful when preying on these animals.

I also think that the awkwardness of the Anteater is a deterrent. I dont think a Jaguar quite realizes where the head/throat is and the tail also throws it off. I'd assume that once a Jaguar becomes accustomed to killing them then they're able to do so more often but I bet it's an individual characteristic.

OFF TOPIC.

One thing I know for certain is that no jaguar will overpower these little dudes here.

Midget Anteaters.

They're masters of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Hehe.

7 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

Nowhere to hide: pumas, black bears, and competition refuges

Abstract

One hypothesis for how carnivores with overlapping ecology coexist in natural systems is through heterogeneous competition landscapes, in which subordinates utilize “competition refuges” to mitigate risks associated with dominant competitors. We tested for the effects of American black bear ( Ursus americanus ) kleptoparasitism on puma ( Puma concolor ) foraging in 2 systems in North America. We also tested whether partial prey consumption exhibited by pumas in the presence of bears was better explained by rules of optimal foraging or by kleptoparasitism by black bears, and whether pumas utilized spatial competition refuges to mitigate competition with bears over carcass remains. Puma kill rates in ungulates/wk were equivalent across study systems, but 48% greater in the bear season than the no-bear season. Our analyses of handling time did not support the notion that partial prey consumption exhibited by pumas followed patterns of optimal foraging. Rather, puma handling time and prey consumption were better explained by the presence of bears. Surprisingly, pumas did not utilize spatial competition refuges to mitigate competition with black bears, and instead our results suggested they increase their kill rates to compensate for losses. Our results linking high seasonal kill rates of a top predator with kleptoparasitism by a dominant competitor provide strong evidence that the effects of predation can only be understood within a community framework. In particular, we propose that future predation studies should differentiate between relative contributions of predators and competitors on prey dynamics. Further, our results suggest kleptoparasites may indirectly impact prey populations through their effects on top predators.

5 users Like Sully's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-16-2020, 11:59 PM by Dark Jaguar )

2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

3 users Like Pckts's post

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(06-02-2020, 07:55 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 07:07 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 05:33 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 05:29 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 04:18 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: Male jag vs Giant Anteater

These anteaters have magnificent tails, nice to see that it could handle the situation. It´s good, that there are some animals limiting ant numbers :)

Yeah you're right, jaguars better not sleep on those deadly claws, they're extremely careful when preying on these animals.

I also think that the awkwardness of the Anteater is a deterrent. I dont think a Jaguar quite realizes where the head/throat is and the tail also throws it off. I'd assume that once a Jaguar becomes accustomed to killing them then they're able to do so more often but I bet it's an individual characteristic.

OFF TOPIC.

One thing I know for certain is that no jaguar will overpower these little dudes here.

Midget Anteaters.

They're masters of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Hehe.

The way they are fighting really reminds me of the way BJJ fighters grappled with each other  Lol
1 user Likes johnny rex's post

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Seyms_ Brugger: " Brutality

A crazy morning and a quick back of the camera shot.
Zimanga's dominant Male Lion takes down a Hyeana.
Not pretty. Harsh. But real. Its life in the African Bush.
Nature takes no prisoners, and the Lion is King."

2 users Like Spalea's post

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Seyms_Brugger: " The End Game

Vicious, brutal, unforgiving - as hard as it is to watch that is nature. The African Bush takes no prisoners. And when you are the apex predator, you are in charge.
Here the dominant Male Lion of the Zimanga Pride in no uncertain way dispatches competition - in this case, an unlucky Hyaena. "

Seyms_Brugger: " *Warning not for sensitive viewers⁣

⁣《 The Wrestle 》⁣
When I started wildlife photography, I made a promise to myself that I would always accept what I would witness or photograph.⁣
Nature does not abide by human rules.⁣ Nature has its own delicate balance, and we simply have to accept how that balance is played out.⁣
Predators control the environment and ensure that prey numbers don't blow out of control. But predators also control each other.⁣
There is an apex predator in the African Bush and that is the Lion.⁣
Beautiful, sleek, powerful l, they have long captured the imagination of wildlife lovers the world over.⁣
And they hate Hyenas. Hyenas hate Lions.⁣
Its an eternal battle that plays out across any game reserve where these two species live together.⁣
Sometimes its just a chase. Sometimes its juts not the Hyaenas day.⁣
⁣I appreciate that this is hard for some to see. Its violent. It's graphic. But at the end of the day is just another day in this cycle of nature.⁣
And that's what you must appreciate it for.⁣ "

Bigcat Enthusiast

5 users Like Pckts's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Confidence level of crocs in water is at different level.
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

3 users Like Luipaard's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Cheetah was lucky enough to live in a very close encounter with Male leopard.

8 users Like sanjay's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(07-09-2020, 09:07 PM)sanjay Wrote: Cheetah was lucky enough to live in a very close encounter with Male leopard.

Nice one and also show good how "slow" other big cats are, when cheetah doesn´t freeze. No chance whatsoever when cheetah has even a split second to accelerate. Leopard seemed to understand it also immediately :)
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-14-2020, 11:24 PM by Balam )

Ocelots might be small but they are tenacious

Ocelot fighting two crab eating foxes

Killing armadillo

7 users Like Balam's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

4 users Like Pckts's post

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

A big male leopard bumps into a lioness...

Interesting to see the leopard walking toward the lioness after having been stolen its prey...
Ad, it's a impression but the male lion coming at the end of the video seems to be very impressive !