There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eomellivora piveteau - Prehistoric giant Honey badger

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-28-2018, 11:31 PM by epaiva )

*This image is copyright of its original author

Credits to @chasingmammoth and to Debian Art by Smerjeevski
5 users Like epaiva's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

I have read very brief hints of a big Pleistocene wolverine relative also in North America; but no real info. Vert interesting topic epaiva
1 user Likes brotherbear's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

This beast, giant mustelid, would have been a nightmare for any opponent...
2 users Like Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(10-30-2018, 09:23 PM)Spalea Wrote: This beast, giant mustelid, would have been a nightmare for any opponent...

Something like grumpy hyena maybe :) But I doubt, that so suicidal, that it would have fought with bigger predators at the time too much. Big predators seldom see nightmares, but often rivals from whom usurp carcass or kill if not giving in voluntarily. It would be fun to know if this ancestor was with same attitude as current honey badger, but some things remain as mysteries...

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(10-30-2018, 10:26 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 09:23 PM)Spalea Wrote: This beast, giant mustelid, would have been a nightmare for any opponent...

Something like grumpy hyena maybe :) But I doubt, that so suicidal, that it would have fought with bigger predators at the time too much. Big predators seldom see nightmares, but often rivals from whom usurp carcass or kill if not giving in voluntarily. It would be fun to know if this ancestor was with same attitude as current honey badger, but some things remain as mysteries...

Yes, you're right. I told that by transposing the actual wolverine's behaviour to this giant ancestor, perhaps a little bit too easy ! Of course we don't know, in first approximation knowing that the mustelid are very tough predators regardless of their size, I judged a little bit too quickly it could be the same for the pleistocene mustelids.

But which predator would like to fight against a mustelid having the actual jaguar's size ? The opposition would be anyway very hard, even if this giant mustelid was very careful.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-31-2018, 02:00 AM by Shadow )

(10-31-2018, 01:47 AM)Spalea Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 10:26 PM)Shadow Wrote:

Yes, you're right. I told that by transposing the actual wolverine's behaviour to this giant ancestor, perhaps a little bit too easy ! Of course we don't know, in first approximation knowing that the mustelid are very tough predators regardless of their size, I judged a little bit too quickly it could be the same for the pleistocene mustelids.

But which predator would like to fight against a mustelid having the actual jaguar's size ? The opposition would be anyway very hard, even if this giant mustelid was very careful.

Yes, wolverines and honey badgers are pretty good in bluffing, but when they see, that bluff is called... well, in that way honey badger is maybe more suicidal sometimes. Wolverine at least understands when it is time to flee. But I think, that lion or some ancestor of lion has been the one taking carcasses from even jaguar sized mustelid. it has been still far too small to challenge big cats. Of course time to time even lion can let current honey badger to be, when not so hungry and aggressive little devil has been confusing :) There are some funny videos about that kind of confrontations, and then again quite brutal ones, when big cat has been in.... should I say not in the forgiving mood....
1 user Likes Shadow's post