There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cryptozoology, Ghosts, Aliens and other mysteries

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/...-Mars.html  

You'll bear-ly believe it! Alien hunters claim they've spotted the fossilised remains of a grizzly bear on Mars. 

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(12-09-2018, 04:39 PM)brotherbear Wrote: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/...-Mars.html  

You'll bear-ly believe it! Alien hunters claim they've spotted the fossilised remains of a grizzly bear on Mars. 

Many people have too much time and too wild imagination in these days :) There is also a tv program about people who are driving all around USA and trying to prove that big foot exists. Then they interview some poor nutcases who make funny claims how they have seen something. I am not sure if it´s a good idea to feed fairy tales to delusional people, but it seems to be so, that when someone gets money from it, they don´t care about responsibility.

Maybe we have next year a "documentary" about bears secretly building space ships and travelling between galaxies Wink

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

I been telling everyone - bears are smart - they beat man to mars.  Lol
1 user Likes brotherbear's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

Bll Munns' analysis of the Patterson Gimlin film. I've been researching sasquatch a lot recenly and for me this, and Jeff Meldrum's analysis are the best and most compelling arguments for this footage. I don't know if I believe in bigfoot but I believe this isn't human at least. The argument for it being a hoax is feeble as well. Bob Heironomous' story is easily picked apart, and furthermore Patterson recycled all the money he made from this back into bigfoot research, he even followed up a hoax of a yeti in a Buddhist monastery in Thailand before he died. There is a reason this is the holy grail for bigfoot researchers.
2 users Like Sully's post

China Smilodon-Rex Offline

(12-25-2018, 12:21 AM)Sully Wrote:

Bll Munns' analysis of the Patterson Gimlin film. I've been researching sasquatch a lot recenly and for me this, and Jeff Meldrum's analysis are the best and most compelling arguments for this footage. I don't know if I believe in bigfoot but I believe this isn't human at least. The argument for it being a hoax is feeble as well. Bob Heironomous' story is easily picked apart, and furthermore Patterson recycled all the money he made from this back into bigfoot research, he even followed up a hoax of a yeti in a Buddhist monastery in Thailand before he died. There is a reason this is the holy grail for bigfoot researchers.
 Perhaps the big foot(also means"Sausquath'')is the unknown ape-like platyrrihini species

Ecology & Rewilding

Personally I believe it is a relic hominin, all the native American stories of bigfoot describe them as another type of man, they were another tribe who interacted with the natives. I also find it hard so believe an ape could avoid concrete verification for this long (although the recency of the discovery of the gorilla is to be noted).

I an currently reading Prof Jeff Meldrum's book "Saquatch A Legend Meets Science", its contents are greatly compelling and although sophisticated science is discussed it's surprisingly understandable to the layman such as myself. If you are seriously interested in researching this topic I highly recommend the book. The most compelling evidence for me is analysis of footprints that have been carried out. Below I have linked a study mentioned in the book by Dr. Grover Krantz, wherein anatomy and dermatoglyphics of sasquatch footprints are analysed and unanimously said by experts across multiple fields to be legitimate.

https://web.archive.org/web/200911261636...ermal.html

Further interesting parts of this phenomena include the analysis of the sierra sounds, purported bigfoot vocalizations:

The ‘Sierra Sounds’ underwent a year-long evaluation at the University of Wyoming. The researchers determined the origin to be primate, and that one of the speakers possessed a vocal range and lung capacity much greater than the average human’s.
Additionally, they ruled out the presence of alteration. The tapes had not been sped up or slowed down or even re-recorded. They were organic pieces of evidence.
Quote:“The unusual growl-like sounds and whistles were studied by Dr. R. Lynn Kirlin, a professor of Electrical Engineering at the University of Wyoming. It was his opinion that the format frequencies found were clearly lower than for human data and their distribution does not indicate they were the product of human vocalizations and tape speed alteration.”
Went Worth College Professor and former U.S. Navy crypto-linguist Scott Nelson determined that the ‘Sierra Sounds’ feature an actual deliberate language. With over 35 years in the field and fluency in four languages (English, Russian, Spanish, and Persian) his expertise led to the realization of more than grunts and snarls. He believes there are clear distinctions tagged on to the words in the form of phonemes. Phonemes are sound unites that “distinguish one word from another in a particular language.” Phonemes directly cause accents, since foreign-language speakers apply one type of phoneme inventory (French, for example) to a language with a different one (English). Nelson even created a transcription of the recordings by slowing the ‘Sierra Sounds’ down considerably. Per his report:
Quote:“Sasquatch Language is spoken approximately twice as fast as any known language in most analyzed recordings, therefore it must be slowed down to be transcribed accurately.”
Nelson’s ‘Sasquatch Phonetic Alphabet (SPA)’ paper is truly amazing. Even if these theories never lead to a definitive conclusion, one can’t deny Nelsons work proves there’s much more to the ‘Sierra Sounds’ than just primal grunts.
Quote:“Because of what I did in the Navy, spending years and several thousand hours speeding the human voice up and slowing it down, I could just detect language in those vocalizations.”

Furthermore the statistical trends in bigfoot sightings lend to its credibility (e.g bell curve)

http://www.sasquatchcanada.com/uploads/9...ndings.pdf

After months of research I still haven't come to a conclusion to whether sasquatch is a real being or not and I'm not sure I ever will, but there's a lot more out there about the topic than most know
1 user Likes Sully's post

smedz Offline

Ah cryptozoology, don't get me wrong, it's an interesting topic, but it can be a bit unrealistic. With Bigfoot, from the way they describe the feeding habits, ecology, etc, that animal sounds to have the EXACT same role in the ecosystem as a black bear. There is what is called the competitive exclusion principle, which states that no 2 species can share the exact same niche in the exact same place at the exact same time. So to me, the existence of Bigfoot is very unlikely. 

As for the Gigantopithecus theory, that makes no sense for 2 reasons. 

1. That animal was a warm weather primate, not built for the cold and beringia was a freezing cold place.

2. The Bering land bridge was open Steppe, and the kind of food these apes ate wasn't even available there in the first place. So they'd be starving to death.

Ecology & Rewilding
( This post was last modified: 03-03-2019, 07:34 AM by Sully )

I don't know if it necessarily is said to have the same role as a black bear. I think too little is known about the behavioural ecology of sasquatch to draw conclusions regarding its legitimacy based on that alone. The direct evidence at hand is best to analyse as there is less wiggle room. An objective conclusion is more likely to be derived. Meldrum actually makes a point in the book, just because sasquatch can't exist (secondary factors, e.g place in the ecosystem), doesn't mean they don't exist. Grover Krantz also says the idea of aasqautch is ridiculous, but the idea of hoaxing (referring to footprints as linked above) is impossible.

As for the gigantopithecus theory, I agree with you. Based on all I know about the giant ape in terms of climate and diet, I can't see it thriving outside its niche (though Meldrum made a point on analysis of gigantopithecus teeth suggesting they may not have been strictly bamboo eaters). I was watching a YouTube video where a guy asserts that dryopithecus is the best bigfoot candidate and lays out his argument. I for one believe this hypothesis to be much more likely than it being an offshoot of gigantopithecus.

smedz Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-03-2019, 10:12 AM by Rishi )

(03-03-2019, 07:29 AM)Sully Wrote: I don't know if it necessarily is said to have the same role as a black bear. I think too little is known about the behavioural ecology of sasquatch to draw conclusions regarding its legitimacy based on that alone. The direct evidence at hand is best to analyse as there is less wiggle room. An objective conclusion is more likely to be derived. Meldrum actually makes a point in the book, just because sasquatch can't exist (secondary factors, e.g place in the ecosystem), doesn't mean they don't exist. Grover Krantz also says the idea of aasqautch is ridiculous, but the idea of hoaxing (referring to footprints as linked above) is impossible.

As for the gigantopithecus theory, I agree with you. Based on all I know about the giant ape in terms of climate and diet, I can't see it thriving outside its niche (though Meldrum made a point on analysis of gigantopithecus teeth suggesting they may not have been strictly bamboo eaters). I was watching a YouTube video where a guy asserts that dryopithecus is the best bigfoot candidate and lays out his argument. I for one believe this hypothesis to be much more likely than it being an offshoot of gigantopithecus.

That's a more plausible theory, however, apparently when one makes a range map of Bigfoot based on all the sightings, they get a range that looks exactly like the range of the American Black Bear (Ursus Americanus).
Both species have very similar diets, and there is actually a video on YouTube of a black bear walking on it's hind legs. So most of the sightings could be misidentification.

I also have a hard time digesting a large ape like that could be around for so many years and not already be recognized by science. You'll hear people say the Pacific Northwest is like a forest primeval, but it actually has been logged a good number for times, and many sightings have taken place in places like Ohio, and trust me, there's no way a huge ape could remain undetected here in Ohio. But you have your opinion, and I have mine. Let's just leave it at that. But I must say, out of all the Cryptids, the ones I have the most faith in are the Alien Big Cats reported around the world, I can easily see a situation where some owner of a big cat wanted to be rid of their pet big cat, and set it loose.

smedz Offline

@Sully, have you seen these pictures taken in the United Kingdom? Very convincing evidence for me. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

(Credits to the Daily Express)  

Hope this makes your day!
1 user Likes smedz's post

Ecology & Rewilding

@smedz ah yes the big cats of the British countryside. They pop up in the news every now and then this side of the pond. I've always been skeptical of the assertion that there is some sort of breeding population that sustains itself out there. I do think however that there are some out there, likely escaped pets or zoo animals. In fact in 1980 in Scotland if I recall correctly, a mountain lion was found in the wild, identified to be an escaped pet. There are other similar cases like this including smaller wild, foreign cats. I think when people realise how much they have on their plate raising an exotic pet they'll irresponsibly simply let them go. Regarding the picture you sent it's very hard to deny that it at least looks like a melanistic leopard, its build disproportionate to that of a house cat. Looks convincing enough to me!

smedz Offline

(03-09-2019, 12:31 AM)Sully Wrote: @smedz ah yes the big cats of the British countryside. They pop up in the news every now and then this side of the pond. I've always been skeptical of the assertion that there is some sort of breeding population that sustains itself out there. I do think however that there are some out there, likely escaped pets or zoo animals. In fact in 1980 in Scotland if I recall correctly, a mountain lion was found in the wild, identified to be an escaped pet. There are other similar cases like this including smaller wild, foreign cats. I think when people realise how much they have on their plate raising an exotic pet they'll irresponsibly simply let them go. Regarding the picture you sent it's very hard to deny that it at least looks like a melanistic leopard, its build disproportionate to that of a house cat. Looks convincing enough to me!

Your Welcome! I knew you'd like it. I agree, morons who bought these animals as pets and setting them lose is the best explanation. When I first found those pictures, my mind was blown away. But it isn't just the British countryside where this happens, there are also reports from Australia and here in the U.S.A, and I think some sightings taking place here in Ohio.
1 user Likes smedz's post

smedz Offline

@Sully, check this out. Of all the cryptozoology shows, Animal X is one of my favorites, reason being that the music can be eerie, they seem to mainly want to educate viewers on these kinds of things rather than tracking them down. Love it! wish these cats would get more attention in the media.

Ecology & Rewilding
( This post was last modified: 05-20-2019, 05:53 AM by Sully )

@smedz wow that is interesting. There's more than good enough witness testimony to conclude that there is at the very least, 1 melanistic jag/leopard patrolling the area. Also goes to show just how elusive big cats can be, avoiding detection while many are actively looking for them. I recall an escaped leopard I believe that went for months without detection in the heart of a very busy city, I forget the specifics but you get the point. Felines are incredible animals, and extremely adaptive too. Tfs!

Ecology & Rewilding
( This post was last modified: 05-10-2019, 07:55 AM by Sully )

A great video here on cryptids. Especially the last one covered at 14:35, that was beyond fascinating to me.