There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Gavskrr Offline

Phabeni Male 
obs: I think I'll start posting using imgur it would be a little more work but at least the pictures wouldn't disappear I guess
" target="_blank" class="post_link">
6 users Like Gavskrr's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(03-18-2023, 10:00 AM)Gavskrr Wrote: Longface lower sabie
" target="_blank" class="post_link">

That heart scar will make very easy to identify
6 users Like Mdz123's post

Gavskrr Offline

The 2 Trichard male have been more present this month, providing regular sightings. It would seem that at this point they have managed to ward off the challenge from the large male coalition from the south, and have done enough to stake a lasting claim on the territory around singita Lebombo Lodge.
The Shish pride have 5 new cubs that have been sighted a few times, and with their regular den site being just opposite the lodge, this could also be a reason the males are taking more of a protective role in making their presence known around the area where the cubs are still denning.

Source: Rudi Hulshof's Classic Africa (facebook)

*This image is copyright of its original author

8 users Like Gavskrr's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

I just come to watch this video, dated from 6 days. Indeed, we can see a big male lion, a really big male. According to the comments I cannot be sure which male it is...

6 users Like Spalea's post

Gavskrr Offline

I believe it is Gomondwane, they are huge
Credits: Kruger Pride safaris

7 users Like Gavskrr's post

Gavskrr Offline

Biyamiti Male 
S65, 3km S of the S1 junction
Near Skukuza
Credits: Singh's

5 users Like Gavskrr's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(03-21-2023, 10:52 PM)Gavskrr Wrote: Biyamiti Male 
Near Skukuza

I read in a Thornybush blog, that Mapoza's eye problem is a genetic issue, likely had it since birth. I wonder, especially given that it has happened to two of these brothers, if it might be the same issue with the Biyamatis. I know there has also been some speculation that it may be a type of worm that has done this to them as well.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(03-21-2023, 10:47 PM)Gavskrr Wrote: I believe it is Gomondwane, they are huge
Credits: Kruger Pride safaris

Spot on. Gomondwane males
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(03-22-2023, 12:25 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
Near Skukuza

I read in a Thornybush blog, that Mapoza's eye problem is a genetic issue, likely had it since birth. I wonder, especially given that it has happened to two of these brothers, if it might be the same issue with the Biyamatis. I know there has also been some speculation that it may be a type of worm that has done this to them as well.

From what I've heard from rangers of Klaserie/Thornybush. The Mapoza male received a kick from a Giraffe when he was sub-adult

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-22-2023, 12:25 AM)BA0701 Wrote: I read in a Thornybush blog, that Mapoza's eye problem is a genetic issue, likely had it since birth. I wonder, especially given that it has happened to two of these brothers, if it might be the same issue with the Biyamatis. I know there has also been some speculation that it may be a type of worm that has done this to them as well.

We will never know, but yes, it can be multiple reasons.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(03-22-2023, 12:30 AM)Timbavati Wrote:
Near Skukuza

From what I've heard from rangers of Klaserie/Thornybush. The Mapoza male received a kick from a Giraffe when he was sub-adult

You may well be right, I suppose it could be from any number of reasons as @Tr1x24 mentioned. I had to go and find it, but this is the blog I was referring to, stating it is from Glaucoma, I originally found it in the Lion Tales thread mentioned by @Potato I believe. I know the blog also mentioned that Mapoza's brother was killed during a buffalo hunt, perhaps the same incident caused his eye problem as well. 

https://www.thornybush.com/lion-one-eye/
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(03-22-2023, 12:44 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
Near Skukuza

You may well be right, I suppose it could be from any number of reasons as @Tr1x24 mentioned. I had to go and find it, but this is the blog I was referring to, stating it is from Glaucoma, I originally found it in the Lion Tales thread mentioned by @Potato I believe. I know the blog also mentioned that Mapoza's brother was killed during a buffalo hunt, perhaps the same incident caused his eye problem as well. 

From Rudi Hulshof, 10th August 2020 in my Facebook post

Super Moderator

(03-22-2023, 01:33 AM)Timbavati Wrote:
(03-22-2023, 12:44 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
Near Skukuza

From Rudi Hulshof, 10th August 2020 in my Facebook post

He's a lucky boy to have survived a kick from a giraffe as a 1 year old cub. Crazy!
3 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-22-2023, 01:33 AM)Timbavati Wrote: From Rudi Hulshof, 10th August 2020 in my Facebook post

Isnt it unknown from where 2 Mapozas came ?
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

1/3 gomondwane male, Tank

7 users Like DARK MANE's post