There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Why were they relocated to begin with? To protect them from what? I can only imagine humans because they don't intervene on Kruger.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Mwk85 Offline

(03-09-2023, 09:34 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Why were they relocated to begin with? To protect them from what? I can only imagine humans because they don't intervene on Kruger.

Best information I could find that was still available on why they were relocated. Credit for this information goes to @Brahimlegend. Original post of his can be found on page #578 post #8,670

"The Last Mpondo & Young male (Possibly Hippo Pools male) have been relocated.
"[11/26, 14:02] CARNIVORE UPDATE!
Gerrie Camacho of the Carnivore Team released the following statement:
Excellent teamwork between MTPA, Wildlife Vets,  Nkomazi Municipal Rangers, the Carnivore Team, members of CPF and Security personell performed a very challenging operation to capture the last of the Mphondo lion males and his few years younger coalition mate on the corner of Volstruis and Moddervis last night. The younger male, according to sources, is possibly from the Hippo Pools pride. Although it was clear that these males were pushed from their latest territory in Kruger and in a fairly battered state, they attempted to make Marloth Park their preferred territory the past few nights. A number of hurdles had to be overcome and through the assistance from State Vet Services, Skukuza and Kruger management themselves, it was permitted to move these mega cats last night to their holding facilities at Skukuza, from where they will be moved to the North of Kruger where a fairly low population of lions do occur. In this way they get a second chance on life."
5 users Like Mwk85's post

criollo2mil Online
Contributor

(03-09-2023, 09:34 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Why were they relocated to begin with? To protect them from what? I can only imagine humans because they don't intervene on Kruger.

They crossed the fence line and into an area outside the protected park.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States BorntobeWild Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-10-2023, 08:46 AM by BorntobeWild )

How sad! I can accept their deaths caused by natural courses no matter how harsh they may be, as it is a part of their lives, but not when they are killed by humans.
4 users Like BorntobeWild's post

BigLion39 Offline

That makes me so angry that lions get poached up there. Snip Tail survived that long only for stupid ass humans to stick their hands in and meddle around and boom hes dead. Jeez that pisses me off . Happy for young HP males tho on the other hand. I also think its entirely BS that they don't officially release the info. Such BS. Thanks to you guys for letting us know tho.
7 users Like BigLion39's post

Korea, Republic of veritas Offline

Sad news again and angry news.
I really hate poachers and hunters!
News about protecting lions in Africa should be released on the Internet or YouTube!
If I write on the Internet, will I be legally sued by African lodgings or landowners???
I am not confident of winning in English, so I have not yet been able to file a complaint with the Korean Internet community.
Lions naturally die, fight, hunger, disease, etc. are natural and understandable.
But because of humans, death is absolutely vile and reprehensible.
Rip....
1 user Likes veritas's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

The decission isnt as easy as people make it out to be. 

He was found outside the reserve. So they had to find a spot for him elsewhere or put him down. 
You cant just plumb lions down randomly as you may be triggering takeovers, conflicts and even more death.  So they seek out areas that still has enough space to house them. 
Which is ussually becouse they lost their resident male lions. 

So all things concidered, that area was probably the best they had available.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-10-2023, 11:32 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: I also think its entirely BS that they don't officially release the info.

Nobody wants that their reserve is known for poaching, thats why they dont release that in public, if they find that it happened.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-10-2023, 02:29 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: He was found outside the reserve. So they had to find a spot for him elsewhere or put him down. 
You cant just plumb lions down randomly as you may be triggering takeovers, conflicts and even more death.  So they seek out areas that still has enough space to house them. 
Which is ussually becouse they lost their resident male lions. 

Well yea, its intervening in nature, i mean, you drop him/them in some area, they will definetly influence lion dynamics there, they might kill other lions there because humans put them there.

But if they are moving them that far north in area where there is pretty much no lions, because of hostile human activity , then they need to secure safety for them, i mean what they expect what will happen.

Other solution is just to leave them where they are , but they need to fix fences that they cant escape out of Kruger anymore, and leave them to destiny.

Lions who are relocated are those who constantly find way to escape Kruger, if they fix fences, problem solved.

Looks like bad fence state is big problem in Kruger.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Mwk85 Offline

Nkhulu males and Dreadlocks De Laporte 

7 users Like Mwk85's post

Mwk85 Offline

I reached out to Dave Pusey (leovantage_dave) in regards to Mo Vurhami and he stated he wasn't aware of any recent sightings of him unfortunately. Did mention that with the flooding and road closures it's been hard to get around so perhaps once everything dries up we might have better news on the Mo front.
6 users Like Mwk85's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-10-2023, 11:10 PM by Tr1x24 )

3 Sweni Pride males, in my opinion one of the most impressive males in Kruger atm, absolute beasts :

Looks like they are trying to name them, which would be good, as we also have old Sweni and 5 other Swenis, so i hope they will do it.
12 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(03-10-2023, 11:10 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: 3 Sweni Pride males, in my opinion one of the most impressive males in Kruger atm, absolute beasts :

Looks like they are trying to name them, which would be good, as we also have old Sweni and 5 other Swenis, so i hope they will do it.

I couldn't be more agree with you! They're absolutely massive male lions. Such a big mane and massive body size, tanks in other words!!
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Mwk85 Offline

Dark mane Hippo Pools male guarding their buffalo kill as vultures wait for a piece of it in the background.

9 users Like Mwk85's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-11-2023, 02:16 PM by Brahim )

Leeupan with H10 recently.
Credit: Foxy on safari

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like Brahim's post