There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-02-2023, 05:23 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Although they have huge size the Nkhulus are clearly in the basket of lions who take longer to mature mentally build their confidence despite having great numbers, but that doesn't mean they'll be weak once they "click" and switch to fully territorial.

I dont think so.

Nkhulus are same age/generation as Kambulas, Birmingham and Birmigham Breakaway boys , and neither of those, despite big numbers, are territorial yet.

4.5 - 5 yrs is normal age when males start to challenge for territory, obiviously there are exceptions, but those are rare.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-02-2023, 06:33 PM by Tr1x24 )

As we said, we need to wait with "new Mapogos" predictions for young nomads who didnt won 1 fight against big boys in their lives.

Nkhulus might become great warriors one day, but its too early to predict such things, but this doesnt have to mean anything, Majingilanes also lost brother in first major conflict.

Numbers barely matters for young males if their confidence, experience and teamplay is not on the lvl of their enemies.

This is not a clash between 2 territorial coalitions, where numbers matter much more.

It was rubbish to believe that such experienced and coordinated brothers like S.Avocas would go down just like that against inexperienced young males.

S.Avocas - Nkhulus 1:0, but this is far from over i think.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ngonya Offline

(06-02-2023, 05:44 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: As we said, we need to wait with "new Mapogos" predictions for young nomads who didnt won 1 fight against big boys in their lives.

Nkhulus might become great warriors one day, but its too early to predict such things, but this doesnt have to mean anything, Majingilanes also lost brother in first major conflict.

Numbers barely matters for young males if their confidence, experience and teamplay is not on the lvl of their enemies.

This is not a clash between 2 territorial coalitions, where numbers matter much more.

It was rubbish to believe that such experienced and coordinated brothers like S.Avocas would go down just like that against inexperienced young males.

S.Avocas - Nkhulus 1:0, but this is far from over i think.

The Selati males also lost one of their brothers in their early years as nomads. We know which direction the story took. Great buffalo hunters moved west and ended the Mapogo reign, injuring Pretty Boy and killing Mr T.
In my opinion Nkhulu has everything to be a great and powerful coalition, they have the genetics of the great Mantimahle and even better, they have more numbers.
I think it's Sabi Sand's most promising coalition since the BBoys...
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Or they could all be death in a month. Or break up in three or two smaller groups or disapear into kruger. 
The wild is very rough on newcomers and doesn't really care about who your father is.

Its far to early to make any predictions.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

wingzer0o Offline
New Join

so has it been confirmed that dreadlocks has passed?

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

@Tr1x24 

It's definitely not rubbish to think Avocas are in trouble and might go down if they face Nkhulu.
Saying this would be akin to saying it was rubbish to say Majingilane were a threat after their brother died, then in the same day they retaliated and the rest is history.

What happened here wasn't the "normal" but rather an incredible feat displayed by one of the strongest duos. They were 5 males and the one caught wasn't even young, but rather an experienced prime male who happens to be the smallest of the entire coalition of 7.

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

I wonder if the Nkulus will stay together? There’s been a few big coalitions that lose the leader and the rest end up splitting, happened to Birmingham and Matimbas I think. 
I wonder why none of the boys came back to help dreadlocks? They must not realize their confidence, size and numbers.
 Do they hunt well together?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-03-2023, 01:17 AM by Tr1x24 )

(06-02-2023, 11:31 PM)Mapokser Wrote: It's definitely not rubbish to think Avocas are in trouble and might go down if they face Nkhulu.
Saying this would be akin to saying it was rubbish to say Majingilane were a threat after their brother died, then in the same day they retaliated and the rest is history.

People where already writing off both Gijimas and S.Avocas against Nkhulus, despite them not winning 1 fight/clash/chase against territorial male. S.Avocas and Gijimas might still lose in the end, but they are showing it wont be easy.

(06-02-2023, 11:31 PM)Mapokser Wrote: What happened here wasn't the "normal" but rather an incredible feat displayed by one of the strongest duos.

Gijimas did pretty much the same few weeks ago, Nkuhlus are stil getting chased around by pretty much every territorial males , S.Avocas just managed to catch 1.

(06-02-2023, 11:31 PM)Mapokser Wrote: They were 5 males and the one caught wasn't even young, but rather an experienced prime male who happens to be the smallest of the entire coalition of 7.

Dreadlocks was not smallest of all 7.

Youngest, injured one is significantly smaller and weaker then the rest, and few of them are shoulder to shoulder with Dreadlocks, with Dreadlocks being bulkier then most.

And why you mentioned size here? Its irelevant.

Given his experience and history ( most dominant of DeLaportes) Dreadlocks is prob one of their better and strongest fighters.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-02-2023, 11:43 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: I wonder if the Nkulus will stay together? There’s been a few big coalitions that lose the leader and the rest end up splitting, happened to Birmingham and Matimbas I think. 
I wonder why none of the boys came back to help dreadlocks? They must not realize their confidence, size and numbers.
 Do they hunt well?

They still lack confidence to fight territorial males.

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

@Tr1x24 

Yes Gijimas are also one of the strongest duos, I even put them at the same level as Avocas when wondering if the 2 coalitions would compete in the future and wasn't sure who would have the upper hand.

Not only chasing 6 Nkhulus, they crippled one of the strongest Ndhzengas ( coalition of 4 ) in their own territory when they were youngsters, they attacked 4 Kambula males and sister, fought all of them ( Kambulas were seen with scratches from the fight ) and seriously injured one of the older males. They chased the entire Talamati pride of 5 females and 2 adult males, iirc injuring one of the females.

And one of them is only 5yo while the other might have turned 6 already. Do you think this is work of average lions? Look at BDM who are around their age, were chased by Mohawk before turning the tides, but failed to deal any meaningful damage when caught him, failed to do any meaningful damage when they caught a Ndhzenga male and got chased off by lone Imbali male, they are what one would call average lions, the stuff Gijimas do are things only the strongest lions can pull of.

The unhealthy Nkhulu might be smaller idk but the among the 5 with Dreadlocks in the recent video at night, he was clearly the smallest, much shorter in height and length and did not make up for it in bulky.

I'm mentioning size because you seemed to somehow be implying Nkhulus lack strength for being young, when in reality they are physically stronger than their prime partner.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-03-2023, 01:42 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I'm mentioning size because you seemed to somehow be implying Nkhulus lack strength for being young, when in reality they are physically stronger than their prime partner

I never implyed they lack physicall strenght, yet mental (confidence, experience, teamplay).

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat
( This post was last modified: 06-03-2023, 02:26 AM by sik94 )

(06-03-2023, 01:42 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I'm mentioning size because you seemed to somehow be implying Nkhulus lack strength for being young, when in reality they are physically stronger than their prime partner.

Nkhulus are yet to make a sustained challenge for a territory, they still behave pretty nomadic. Territorial challenges are all about confidence and a couple of the Nkhulus being pretty young and injured, all it would take is one of the weaker individuals backing out to make everyone just drop everything and run. Also, when everyone is running and it's chaos, nobody knows what's even happening. By the time they regrouped, the Avocas probably had finished the job on Dreads. 

I honestly never quite understood the S. Avocas. They were nothing special when they first showed up, the three Tsalalas were able to push them around and I thought Tsalala males were very ordinary lions. The S. Avocas seem to be the kind of lions that peak a bit later in life(7-10), in physicality and as territorial males. Opposed to the N. Avocas who peaked early(5-7) and never grew to be the same physically or as territorial males. It's odd how there's such a difference between the two sets of brothers.
2 users Like sik94's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(06-03-2023, 02:23 AM)sik94 Wrote:
(06-03-2023, 01:42 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I'm mentioning size because you seemed to somehow be implying Nkhulus lack strength for being young, when in reality they are physically stronger than their prime partner.

Nkhulus are yet to make a sustained challenge for a territory, they still behave pretty nomadic. Territorial challenges are all about confidence and a couple of the Nkhulus being pretty young and injured, all it would take is one of the weaker individuals backing out to make everyone just drop everything and run. Also, when everyone is running and it's chaos, nobody knows what's even happening. By the time they regrouped, the Avocas probably had finished the job on Dreads. 

I honestly never quite understood the S. Avocas. They were nothing special when they first showed up, the three Tsalalas were able to push them around and I thought Tsalala males were very ordinary lions. The S. Avocas seem to be the kind of lions that peak a bit later in life(7-10), in physicality and as territorial males. Opposed to the N. Avocas who peaked early(5-7) and never grew to be the same physically or as territorial males. It's odd how there's such a difference between the two sets of brothers.

I don't know if you've ever heard of Kevin Richardson (The Lion Whisperer), but he does some pretty good takes on how lions in his care, even ones that are brothers, and raised exactly the same in his care have dramatically different outcomes as adult lions.  One of my favorite lions of his Vayetsi had a brother that died of a snake bite when they were both about 2, but the brother was so much more outgoing and Vayetsi was never able to be put with other males in his sanctuary because he would have just been beaten up.  A lot of Nature vs. Nurture there for sure.

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

@sik94 Wait are you serious? S.Avocas showed up as 4yo, chased the healthy Matshapiri male and attacked the other one ( I don't remember now if they were the ones to give the limp to the other Matshapiri ), IIRC they doomed the then dominant Matshapiris ( coalition that defeated and ousted S.Matimbas ), they also fought Ginger over a carcass and despite Tsalalas being 3 they accepted the challenge and defeated them.

They were incredible when they showed up, showing behaviour the vast majority of Kruger lions their age don't show.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Gavskrr Offline
magVarseVE

(06-03-2023, 06:02 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @sik94 Wait are you serious? S.Avocas showed up as 4yo, chased the healthy Matshapiri male and attacked the other one ( I don't remember now if they were the ones to give the limp to the other Matshapiri ), IIRC they doomed the then dominant Matshapiris ( coalition that defeated and ousted S.Matimbas ), they also fought Ginger over a carcass and despite Tsalalas being 3 they accepted the challenge and defeated them.

They were incredible when they showed up, showing behaviour the vast majority of Kruger lions their age don't show.

Mohawk matshapiri was injured during a hunt, which made him more vulnerable to the avocas, but I think the entry of the S. Avocas is very remarkable. being in a little-seen territory but they have always been beasts so much so that they manage to maintain two prides in a region with high competition, they are a duo of respect.
3 users Like Gavskrr's post