There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

United States T_Ferguson Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-01-2023, 09:51 PM by T_Ferguson )

Some reports out there from a Twitter account that said they saw the full amount of damage on Dreadlocks and it's pretty severe.  Back legs pretty badly beaten up.

Is KrugerSafariAndBeyond a reputable source?
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-01-2023, 10:52 PM by Mapokser )

@T_Ferguson isn't this the guy from the youtube channel always sharing stuff about Gomondwanes? If so I'd say yes because he is actually there seeing the lions.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Gavskrr Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-01-2023, 11:13 PM by Gavskrr )

I don't know what the exact makeup of the Nkhulu males is today but a video surfaced not long ago of one of them with a female outside Sabi Sands apparently, it may be that DreadLocks stayed in the company of this male and from then on they got involved in the fight with unknown males , it remains to be seen whether the male who was with him at the time appears somewhere or not.

6 users Like Gavskrr's post

(06-01-2023, 10:47 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @T_Ferguson isn't this the guy from the youtube channel always sharing stuff about Gomondwanes? If so I'd say yes because he is actually there seeing the lions.

Yes, that is him.  The person stated they are in visual contact with much of this, but I've had these issues before.  Grin

Thank you for confirming.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-02-2023, 01:24 AM by Tr1x24 )

(06-01-2023, 11:04 PM)Gavskrr Wrote: I don't know what the exact makeup of the Nkhulu males is today but a video surfaced not long ago of one of them with a female outside Sabi Sands apparently, it may be that DreadLocks stayed in the company of this male and from then on they got involved in the fight with unknown males , it remains to be seen whether the male who was with him at the time appears somewhere or not.

On this video are Mazithi/Tshokwanes, but he saw Dreadlocks too few days ago.

Edit: 2 older Kambulas seen also around Skukuza, killing sub male, so maybe new suspects.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

It was Southern Avocas.

Attached Files Image(s)

10 users Like Brahim's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(06-02-2023, 03:04 AM)Brahimlegend Wrote: It was Southern Avocas.

So Dreds didn’t make it?   Says fatally wounded?
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

Ukraine Cath2020 Offline

(06-02-2023, 03:04 AM)Brahimlegend Wrote: It was Southern Avocas.

Interesting.  What turned the tide was the Nkhulus scattering instead of fighting back.  That speaks volumes about their lack of confidence.  The Southern Avocas are no joke, but 5 vs. 2 should have ended differently.  It's all about the attitude and assertiveness.  This could turn the tide against the young coalition now, if they are able to get picked off one by one.   The S. Avocas are as aggressive as ever, and probably also killed the 3rd Gijima, though there's no evidence which lions did it.  They had a lot at stake, including 8 young sub-adults not old enough to survive a takeover in the Sand River Pride.  Feel sorry for the Delaporte Male, but the Avocas were just defending their own and had no choice but to strike back.   

Large coalitions are worthless if they don't hang and defend each other; then they become more of a liability in some ways.
7 users Like Cath2020's post

Gavskrr Offline

So Nkhulus are not ready yet and ended up slipping into the more experienced male, I hope it's not fatal for DreadLocks since he was seen after that with no avocas around from what I understand. That part of the kruger is on fire, but good for the health of the existing prides in the south of sabi sands it gives them time for their young.
1 user Likes Gavskrr's post

Robot00 Offline

So the nkhulus are a bunch of wimps picking on little childs and females.

I am no mean for violence but when your boys fight, you all fight together. If you're not ready to fight then dont cause trouble.

I had high expectations of these nkhulus but they've let me down scattering and leaving their comrade to get fatally wounded.

I no longer like these nkhulus. Hopefully s.avocas finish them all off

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Robot00 IIRC you said you hoped they became the new Mapogos. Mapogos when they were at the Nkhulus age were the same thing, they ran from 2 Split Rock males 5v2 and always got dominated by them in 2005 ( per MM reports ) it wasn't until they turned fully territorial at the end of 2005 and beginning of 2006 that they got confident. There's literally video footage of Scar and Tyson scattering the 5 Mapogos and chasing and almost getting one of them, they were lucky to escape. Meanwhile the Mapogos fathers showed up around the same age in SS challenging the 2 Londolozi dominant males who accepted the challenge and went to meet them. Rangers found the 5 WSM the next day resting and the 2 dominant males dead in front of them.

This shows how every lion/coalition matures at a different rate, both physically and mentally. 

Although they have huge size the Nkhulus are clearly in the basket of lions who take longer to mature mentally build their confidence despite having great numbers, but that doesn't mean they'll be weak once they "click" and switch to fully territorial.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

(06-02-2023, 05:23 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Robot00 IIRC you said you hoped they became the new Mapogos. Mapogos when they were at the Nkhulus age were the same thing, they ran from 2 Split Rock males 5v2 and always got dominated by them in 2005 ( per MM reports ) it wasn't until they turned fully territorial at the end of 2005 and beginning of 2006 that they got confident. There's literally video footage of Scar and Tyson scattering the 5 Mapogos and chasing and almost getting one of them, they were lucky to escape. Meanwhile the Mapogos fathers showed up around the same age in SS challenging the 2 Londolozi dominant males who accepted the challenge and went to meet them. Rangers found the 5 WSM the next day resting and the 2 dominant males dead in front of them.

This shows how every lion/coalition matures at a different rate, both physically and mentally. 

Although they have huge size the Nkhulus are clearly in the basket of lions who take longer to mature mentally build their confidence despite having great numbers, but that doesn't mean they'll be weak once they "click" and switch to fully territorial.

We can still be upset that they suck for leaving Dreadlocks out to dry.    Crying

Gavskrr Offline

(06-02-2023, 04:12 AM)Robot00 Wrote: So the nkhulus are a bunch of wimps picking on little childs and females.

I am no mean for violence but when your boys fight, you all fight together. If you're not ready to fight then dont cause trouble.

I had high expectations of these nkhulus but they've let me down scattering and leaving their comrade to get fatally wounded.

I no longer like these nkhulus. Hopefully s.avocas finish them all off

You are putting a humanized perspective on what happened, males in the nomadic/adult phase kill females or subadults with just like kambulas just did, the fact that they ran and left dreadlocks alone is also a natural movement of males who are not ready, there no way to know if you're ready until you challenge someone, it's all part of nature, considering them weak or cowardly doesn't exist in this scenario, you may not like how it happened but you can't root for your ends.
5 users Like Gavskrr's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

They are just trying to sirvive in a cold and occasionally cruel world. Offcource some ore going to be more carefull and cowardly than others, while others may be more brave and run into fights without thinking.

They are not our gladiator fights though.

While we've been focused a bit on Dreadlocks the past day or so, another has fallen.  Lubyelubye has fallen to his wounds from his fight.

8 users Like T_Ferguson's post