There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-08-2023, 12:37 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: Maybe transport / H2-2 male the non broken nose one?

Yes its H2-2/Transport Dam male.
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Mwk85 Offline

Hippo Pools males

10 users Like Mwk85's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

So despicable.   Saddened development.   Now I fear for the Hippo Pool young male

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-09-2023, 01:38 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: So despicable.   Saddened development.   Now I fear for the Hippo Pool young male

Looks like its not the best idea to move lions that far north when situation there is not good..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor

(02-09-2023, 01:47 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(02-09-2023, 01:38 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: So despicable.   Saddened development.   Now I fear for the Hippo Pool young male

Looks like its not the best idea to move lions that far north when situation there is not good..

It became a death sentence.   Humans there have wiped out lions this wasn’t going to end well
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

Very sad to hear that. I believe Northern Kruger is just a worse area for lions overall compared to Southern Kruger. Also, the Mpondo male just got relocated to a whole new territory and needs to get used to the area, so it was kinda expected that something was going to heppen
3 users Like Mdz123's post

Gavskrr Offline

actually if i remember correctly the young hippo pools hasn't been seen for a while, well before the mpondo male
3 users Like Gavskrr's post

Contributor

(02-09-2023, 04:01 AM)Gavskrr Wrote:

actually if i remember correctly the young hippo pools hasn't been seen for a while, well before the mpondo male

All three lions were seen together at a sighting id say a month ago?   I’m not sure if the photos were shared here or I saw them elsewhere.

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Don't think there was a sighting of all 3 of them

Attached Files Image(s)

5 users Like Brahim's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

2/5 sweni males in singita, KNP.
This is not the same singita of Sabi sands.

*This image is copyright of its original author
8 users Like DARK MANE's post

BigLion39 Offline

Sickening. So infuriating what people do to animals.
3 users Like BigLion39's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

1/3 Ratelpan males on the move.
Credit: Nature guys South Africa

Attached Files Image(s)

10 users Like Brahim's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Lions
  • January started with immense excitement when a coalition of five males were found in the north along Nkayanini. These males have previously been seen on Mbatsane (our northern border) but this was the first time they had been located within the concession. They stayed for two days before making their way back north. Signs of their presence were found again one morning when a devoured buffalo carcass was located with multiple sets of male lion tracks around the carcass leading us to believe that these five males were the likely culprits.
  • The larger portion of the Mananga Pride have, to a degree, vacated the north and central parts that they were commonly seen in before. They have spent the majority of their time to the west of the concession and were even seen all the way south along the H6 public road. Previously this prides movements centred around the presence of buffalo herds which have been frequenting the central depression and north thereof. We think their dispersal may have something to do with the incursion of the five males moving in from the north.
  • The smaller portion of the Mananga Pride have been infrequently viewed with them spending the majority of the month west of the concession. They have been seen mostly along Park Road and once on a zebra kill in the clearings east of Gudzani Dam. One morning, however, surprised us all when the pride along with the Shishangaan males were found just north of a crossing that is very far south and east of where this pride normally occurs. We viewed the entire complement of the Mananga Pride one afternoon when the larger portion responded to calls from the smaller portion.
  • The Shishangaan males are spending a lot of time with the smaller portion of the Mananga Pride and are not often seen on their own. This aging coalition are still holding firm for now and were even found one morning heading back north from an area that the two Trichardt males were found in. No signs of a confrontation were observed but it is still commendable that these males must have headed south initially to follow up on the Trichardt males who were vocalizing the evening before.
  • Four sightings of the Shishangaan Pride were had in January with four lionesses being viewed on each occasion and all in close proximity to the lodges. It’s thought that the pride moved further south and east, and potentially into Mozambique, due to the three large males that have been challenging the Trichardt males.
  • The Trichardt males have kept a low profile and there were initial thoughts that the coalition had been pushed out. This was until one morning when the two males were found just east of the lodges, in excellent condition. The three nomadic males haven’t been seen this month and so the pressure seems to be off the Trichardt males for the time being.
  • The Maputo male has been seen on a few occasions in the central parts of the property, vocalizing and marking his former territory.

https://singita.com/2023/01/singita-krug...k-Jan-2023
8 users Like Tonpa's post

United States BorntobeWild Offline

The king and queen roaring in the jungle with fearlessness yet died from the heartless people.  How mad and sad and depressed to know this.
3 users Like BorntobeWild's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Transport/ H2-2 injuries
Credit: kerryn du toit

Attached Files Image(s)

12 users Like Brahim's post