There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(12-06-2022, 09:52 AM)Brahimlegend Wrote: Darkmaned Fourways mating
Credit: Wild Wings Safaris

Every photo I see of this dark maned male, the more impressive he gets. Might well be the blackest mane I have seen on a wild lion, for sheer area covered in black. How old is he, do we know who his father was by chance? If what our understanding of blackness in lion manes implies, that it is directly related to their testosterone levels, then this guy's virility must be off the charts.
7 users Like BA0701's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2022, 10:55 PM by sik94 )

(12-06-2022, 12:10 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 09:52 AM)Brahimlegend Wrote: Darkmaned Fourways mating
Credit: Wild Wings Safaris

Every photo I see of this dark maned male, the more impressive he gets. Might well be the blackest mane I have seen on a wild lion, for sheer area covered in black. How old is he, do we know who his father was by chance? If what our understanding of blackness in lion manes implies, that it is directly related to their testosterone levels, then this guy's virility must be off the charts.

He's actually from Sabi Sands! Fathered by the Matshpiri males in the Fourways pride who also had similar manes. Should be around 7 or 8 right now, so in his absolute prime, his mane looks he dyes it natural black every weekend haha. Not the bulkiest lion, tall with a lanky frame but still a very impressive looking lion, best looking lion by far right now. BDM is the only lion in recent memory who looked more impressive in his prime, but obviously this male doesn't have the bulk or the size of BDM.
8 users Like sik94's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(12-06-2022, 12:10 PM)BA0701 Wrote: do we know who his father was by chance?

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like sik94's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Alot of the guys with that really darkmane currently seem linked, matshipiri males and old lubyelubye were related so those darkmanes came from same blood line. Fourways pride has that dark gene going.
5 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2022, 02:00 PM by Brahim )

Graeme sent me these pics said he saw these males in 2016 part of Mazithi pride. Doesn't this boy look like this guy 1/3 Mazithi/Tshokwane males, would mean they are older?

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Slitnose Gomondwane today
Credit: Ray

Attached Files Image(s)

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Pride on S26 today
Credit: Ray

Attached Files Image(s)

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-06-2022, 01:58 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: Graeme sent me these pics said he saw these males in 2016 part of Mazithi pride. Doesn't this boy look like this guy 1/3 Mazithi/Tshokwane males, would mean they are older?

You sure these pictures are from 2016 and not, lets say 2018?

If they are, then he is born around 2013-14, that would mean that he is son of Old Mazithis, that raises a question, how did he survive 4 Mazithi pride males takeover as a sub, as he didnt left with 2 Lubyelubye Mazithis and s79 males, which then should be his generation or slightly older. 

He looked older then his brothers when we first saw 6 Mazithi/Tshokwanes as nomads (was it late 2019/early 2020? ), he had dark and bigger mane, then they disappeared, later him and his 2 brothers then showed up around Rhino Post - Leeupan area, it was around late 2020/early 2021 if i remember correctly, and then they moved south and took Nkuhlus. 

I mean its possible, as we also find out for DM Renosterkoppies, that he is also much older then his partners and born around 2014, also with WideNose Ndhzenga that he is also born around 2013-14.

Speaking of this male, any info of him? he was not in greatest condition few months ago.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

8 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Il ask Graeme to double check, and I haven't seen any Renosterkoppie males sightings lately
3 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

1/3 Biyamiti males
Credit: Mario Paul

Attached Files Image(s)

8 users Like Brahim's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(12-06-2022, 12:33 PM)sik94 Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 12:10 PM)BA0701 Wrote: do we know who his father was by chance?

*This image is copyright of its original author

He did well, and passed those genes on in spectacular fashion. Another impressively maned male.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Hippo Pools male @ Mjejane.
Credit: Marchee Pitts

Attached Files Image(s)

15 users Like Brahim's post

Hairy tummy Offline

What a fantastic looking lion the hp male is
10 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Gavskrr Offline

practically all males of the shishangenis lineage are spectacular, old gomondwanes must be the most ingrained males in the southern kruger, few coalitions experience such high numbers of offspring.
11 users Like Gavskrr's post