There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-25-2021, 02:00 PM)Potato Wrote: This morning the Mjejane males decided to come back to Mjejane, they found the 2 Vurhami males and the lone lioness. The young Vurhami (Mbilu) started running as soon as he saw the 2 Mjejane's and after that the older male (Mo) ran for it as well.
The lone lioness greeted the 2 Mjejane's and this gave the 2 Vurhami's a chance to get away. The Mjejane's started chasing the Vurhami's and got hold of Mbilu at a later stage.
We're unsure if Mbilu is alive, we could only hear them attacking him in the bush and one Mjejane male came out with a bloody face. Mo is still on the run.

Man, Mo has some really hard times ahead. Absolutely heartwrenching!
2 users Like BA0701's post

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor

(04-26-2021, 08:56 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(04-25-2021, 02:00 PM)Potato Wrote: This morning the Mjejane males decided to come back to Mjejane, they found the 2 Vurhami males and the lone lioness. The young Vurhami (Mbilu) started running as soon as he saw the 2 Mjejane's and after that the older male (Mo) ran for it as well.
The lone lioness greeted the 2 Mjejane's and this gave the 2 Vurhami's a chance to get away. The Mjejane's started chasing the Vurhami's and got hold of Mbilu at a later stage.
We're unsure if Mbilu is alive, we could only hear them attacking him in the bush and one Mjejane male came out with a bloody face. Mo is still on the run.

I agree. It was difficult to watch, especially I had followed that coalition for several months. Now, I really hope Mo has realised, for his own sake, he needs to move away to start afresh away from the area, hopefully he can find himself a new partner or two for his survival.
5 users Like lionuk's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-26-2021, 10:08 PM by Brahim )

7 Satara Boys! 

A great sighting of the coalition made of 7 young males causing havoc in the Satara area. Since they first appeared on the scene August 2020 there has been constant sightings of these 7 boys. This coalition is comprised of two slightly darker, older males who seem more dominant, whilst the other 5 males are blonde still, all impressive already though. Their origin is unknown with a possibility that they came from the southern pride in Lebombo but no evidence has been found. 

These boys seem ready to take a territory which is trouble for all the aging coalitions in the area. The Shishangaan males, Sweni males and the lone Kumana male are all at risk from this new force. Enjoy this recent picture of 5 of the 7 males. The question now is, What is next for these 7 brothers!
Post by lionsightings
Image by: Mark Kaptein

Words by photographer: We followed them for a while until they seemed to settle down. At that moment an (unfortunate) lion responded to their roaring by roaring back from the South. All seven males immidiately sat up and sprung into action. Led by the 2 older males, all seven eventually crossed the road, stalking towards the roaring lion on the other side. Unfortunately the lush green bush made it impossible to follow them or to see what happened next but the look in their eyes revealed sinister intentions. 

Also attached second picture of them when they first appeared on the scene mid last year.
Credit: Solomon ndlovu_safaris

Attached Files Image(s)

6 users Like Brahim's post

Super Moderator

(04-25-2021, 08:52 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: There was definitely sightings of young jocks and Eastern Bank males near each other. Loads of times young jocks when all 4 wondered to Malelane and were close contact to eastern banks. The last eastern bank was holding up near Malelane before going north and finding south Shishangeni.  I think it was a combination of Young Jocks, Mjejane males and Mpondo. Remember one eastern bank was in bad shape following a Mpondo mating pair, so that guy was likely at least finished by Mpondos

Mpondos were massive males, and equally brutal as some of the most brutal coalitions. But, wow, these Mjejane bring with them a level of brutality reminiscent of the Mapogos, and with half the numbers.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Super Moderator

(04-26-2021, 07:06 PM)Gijima Wrote:

Such incredible size, an absolute wrecking crew.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-26-2021, 09:06 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Mpondos were massive males, and equally brutal as some of the most brutal coalitions. But, wow, these Mjejane bring with them a level of brutality reminiscent of the Mapogos, and with half the numbers.

Mapogos where know for brutality and agression because they where observed their whole life, but there was definitely coalitions in Kruger who had the same lvl of that, but we just dont know because they where not observed, or far less..

From few pieces that we got, Mantimahles where also brutal beasts when they came into scene, a lot of males and young males disappeared around the area where Mantimahles step foot on in 2016/17.

Mjejanes are also quite observed because of Mjejane Reserve, so we know what they are doing, but if they would be somewhere in Kruger, we would had no idea..

So when people say, theres no coalition like Mapogos or Majingilanes, thats very wrong assumption, because we cant follow coalitions which are in Kruger to same extend..
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-26-2021, 09:04 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: 7 Satara Boys! 

I think its very likely these boys come from Southern Pride, there was few reports from Singita last year of many young males in that pride, but as far as I understand, Southern Pride is not regular pride at Singita so they prob cant for sure ID them..

Didn't Shishangaan males controled Southern Pride?
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(04-26-2021, 09:02 PM)lionuk Wrote:
(04-26-2021, 08:56 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

I agree. It was difficult to watch, especially I had followed that coalition for several months. Now, I really hope Mo has realised, for his own sake, he needs to move away to start afresh away from the area, hopefully he can find himself a new partner or two for his survival.

I agree entirely. I fear for Mo's safety. From the sounds of it, he was hesitant to leave when the Mjejane approached, only doing so when it was clear that his brother had left. To be alone now, surrounded by those that intend you harm has got to be the worst possible feeling for him. I hope he plays this smart.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Gavskrr Offline
magVarseVE

(04-26-2021, 09:04 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: 7 Satara Boys! 

A great sighting of the coalition made of 7 young males causing havoc in the Satara area. Since they first appeared on the scene August 2020 there has been constant sightings of these 7 boys. This coalition is comprised of two slightly darker, older males who seem more dominant, whilst the other 5 males are blonde still, all impressive already though. Their origin is unknown with a possibility that they came from the southern pride in Lebombo but no evidence has been found. 

These boys seem ready to take a territory which is trouble for all the aging coalitions in the area. The Shishangaan males, Sweni males and the lone Kumana male are all at risk from this new force. Enjoy this recent picture of 4 of the 7 males. The question now is, What is next for these 7 brothers!
Post by lionsightings
Image by: Mark Kaptein

Words by photographer: We followed them for a while until they seemed to settle down. At that moment an (unfortunate) lion responded to their roaring by roaring back from the South. All seven males immidiately sat up and sprung into action. Led by the 2 older males, all seven eventually crossed the road, stalking towards the roaring lion on the other side. Unfortunately the lush green bush made it impossible to follow them or to see what happened next but the look in their eyes revealed sinister intentions. 

Also attached second picture of them when they first appeared on the scene mid last year.
Credit: Solomon ndlovu_safaris

The older men out near really don't have much of a choice if this group decides to occupy the area, I hope these young people do not make the mistake of separating even at this stage, as it always generates losses. 
It is always impressive when a coalition with so many members appears
3 users Like Gavskrr's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-26-2021, 09:29 PM)Gavskrr Wrote: The older men out near really don't have much of a choice if this group decides to occupy the area, I hope these young people do not make the mistake of separating even at this stage, as it always generates losses. 
It is always impressive when a coalition with so many members appears

As a coalition of 7, they will definitely split, most likely after they conquer some territory.. When they conquer first pride or two, males who will not have much mating rights will leave and try to conquer another pride, they will still be in contact, but after few years they will prob permanently split between prides as they will prob control wast territory.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Gavskrr Offline
magVarseVE

In the last updates it was said that they do not have access to the area where Mbilu was attacked, does that mean that there is no possibility of official confirmation by the guards that he was killed? I know it seems irrelevant under the circumstances but I would like to know if there is such a possibility
1 user Likes Gavskrr's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-26-2021, 09:28 PM)BA0701 Wrote: I agree entirely. I fear for Mo's safety. From the sounds of it, he was hesitant to leave when the Mjejane approached, only doing so when it was clear that his brother had left. To be alone now, surrounded by those that intend you harm has got to be the worst possible feeling for him. I hope he plays this smart.

Mo is at the point where he is ready to fight for territory,but he knows he is outnumbered, especially now, im quite sure he would not run away from 1 Mjejane yet face him..

Even when he saw 2 Mjejane he didn't run away immidiately, but as Mbilu already left he had no options...if Mbilu or some other male there stand his gruond im quite sure Mo would start fighting Mjejanes, he is not affraid of them in equal numbers..

I feel that this story of Mjejanes vs Vurhamis is not over yet.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-26-2021, 10:12 PM by Brahim )

Yeah a lot of hate for Bigger Vurhami around blaming him. But I still love the guy and hope he comes back stronger. As @Tr1x24 said I don’t think it’s over.
2 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-26-2021, 10:14 PM by Brahim )

@Tr1x24 Southern pride is run by two males but there’s no pictures of them. Some of the guides have seen them before while back but no pictures or anything
3 users Like Brahim's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-26-2021, 10:11 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: Yeah a lot of hate for Bigger Vurhami around blaming him. But I still love the guy and hope he comes back stronger. As  @Tr1x24   said I don’t think it’s over.

No need for hate,from our perspective it looks like that, but lions cant think logically like us humans, he was doing what his drive was telling him, he cant recognize state of his brother or judge if he is ready or not, they are animals afterall.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post