There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Captive Lion and Tiger weights

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-21-2019, 01:28 AM by Shadow )

I read a bit older threads about this famous Baikal, which was claimed to be a giant. There was at time clear confusion, because there were at same time two tigers named Baikal. And actually stories of these two tigers connect in a surprising way. I decided to write one more time to clear situation for people, who might haven´t used time to study the subject.

So "Cherry Brooks Zoo Baikal" is that big boy, big even though "only 250 kg". It was then transferred to Assiniboine Park Zoo (Winnipeg). Approximately same time another Baikal (195 kg male Amur tiger) was living in Calgary zoo. He was then father for 3 cubs, tigress Kira and two males, Vasili and Samkha, born in 2012. These brothers were then transferred to Assiniboine Park Zoo in 2014.

And they were these two brothers in that cage, where "famous Baikal" then managed to get in by accident and got killed by Vasili in 2014. So in a way ironic, that tiger named Baikal got killed by offspring of another tiger named Baikal.

This "legendary Baikal" died at age 19 in Assiniboine Park Zoo in 2014. Calgary zoo Baikal died at age 17 in February 2018. It was euthanized after health problems.

So even though there wasn´t 850 lbs tiger, there was still in a way interesting chain of happenings after all, when looking closer reasons for many misunderstandings in past. Here two articles about these tigers.

https://www.calgaryzoo.com/node/256

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/tiger-assiniboine-park-zoo-moving-toronto-vasili-1.4674235

Attached Files Image(s)

1 user Likes Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-20-2019, 10:25 PM by Shadow )

I got one more reply from Cherry Brook Zoo, again I want to say thank you for people there for good information and being nice!

Here is text and I attach screen shot.

"We are more than happy to answer any and all questions regarding our animals. We are completely dedicated to animal conservation and enrichment, and believe the first step is to educate the public on all our animals! The weights given to you for Nyla and Baikal came directly from their medical records and transfer records, by one of our senior staff members. We loved your video, as well as your discussion on wildfact, but sometimes when our tigers are lying down they look a bit larger than they are in reality. We appreciate that you reached out to verify their weights to ensure an accurate analysis! Our current tigers Uno and Luna are 400lbs and 275-300lbs respectively (well within the average) and I have attached a video and a couple of photos of them! Luna and Uno are beautiful tigers and there favourite activities include painting and lounging in their pool!  If you have any more questions or concerns please do not hesitate to email or call!

Kind Regards,
The Cherry Brook Zoo"

I got two photos of Luna and one video, I attach those here. Sanjay, maybe you can look if you can get these photos visible also to non-members? 

Personally I would like still to encourage people to visit zoos, these zoos do important work in conservation of many endangered animals, Amur tigers one of those species in difficult situation. Visiting zoos are funny and easy way to help zoos financially and get good information. I know, that some people don´t like to see animals in cages and that isn´t naturally optimal situation, but this whole world isn´t optimal. Responsible zoos have undeniable and important part in educating people and doing concrete conservation work.

This is website of Cherry Brook Zoo: http://www.cherrybrookzoo.ca/

I also want to say thank you to Assiniboine Park Zoo for quick answering and friendly attitude in discussion, this is their website: https://assiniboinepark.ca/zoo?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvOyu2sD44gIVh9GyCh1cpgeNEAAYASAAEgJJr_D_BwE

Even though they don´t pay to me, please visit zoos every now and then and become a part of wildlife conservation! Small things help when many people do.

In photos seems to be tigress Luna.

Attached Files Image(s)

6 users Like Shadow's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

*This image is copyright of its original author

Asiatic male lion from Aalborg ZOO. 
Weight 191 kg. Visited that park yesterday very impressive lion. the females where also big. 

The park also had a very big Sumatra tiger. Asked about the weight and the keeper said between 130-140 kg.
5 users Like Pantherinae's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-25-2019, 06:28 AM by Shadow Edit Reason: adding photo )

One rare photo, where can be seen tiger Baikal, that one which was once thought to be 386 kg (850 lbs), but which was in reality 250 kg tiger. In attached photo it has been about 200 kg according to information from Assiniboine Park Zoo. This photo has been taken the same day, when he died in fight with another tiger Vasili.

Edit: Here one photo from the fight. I don´t know which one is Baikal, but I guess that the one on right, because it looks like to have that spot near eye as Baikal had. But impossible to say for sure from this photo, it can be just the opposite, only sure thing is, that here are Baikal and Vasili.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/assiniboine-park-zoo-tiger-dies-after-fight-with-other-tiger-1.2024522

Attached Files Image(s)

2 users Like Shadow's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(06-25-2019, 02:30 AM)Pantherinae Wrote:

Weight 191 kg. Visited that park yesterday very impressive lion. the females where also big. 

The park also had a very big Sumatra tiger. Asked about the weight and the keeper said between 130-140 kg.

Did you take photos?

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-01-2019, 10:49 AM)Rishi Wrote:

Did you take photos?

No it’s the zoo themselves that has taken it.
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-25-2019, 06:00 AM)Shadow Wrote: One rare photo, where can be seen tiger Baikal, that one which was once thought to be 386 kg (850 lbs), but which was in reality 250 kg tiger. In attached photo it has been about 200 kg according to information from Assiniboine Park Zoo. This photo has been taken the same day, when he died in fight with another tiger Vasili.

Edit: Here one photo from the fight. I don´t know which one is Baikal, but I guess that the one on right, because it looks like to have that spot near eye as Baikal had. But impossible to say for sure from this photo, it can be just the opposite, only sure thing is, that here are Baikal and Vasili.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/assiniboine-park-zoo-tiger-dies-after-fight-with-other-tiger-1.2024522
Baikal on the right.
There's a video of the attack as well, not sure where it is now but I'm sure you can find it still.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(07-01-2019, 04:53 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 06:00 AM)Shadow Wrote: One rare photo, where can be seen tiger Baikal, that one which was once thought to be 386 kg (850 lbs), but which was in reality 250 kg tiger. In attached photo it has been about 200 kg according to information from Assiniboine Park Zoo. This photo has been taken the same day, when he died in fight with another tiger Vasili.

Baikal on the right.
There's a video of the attack as well, not sure where it is now but I'm sure you can find it still.

I have shared that fight video already, but now I´m not sure was it in this thread. Anyway it can be found easily, but there is only how it starts, first 30 seconds or so.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-01-2019, 05:31 PM by Pckts )

(07-01-2019, 05:07 PM)Shadow Wrote:

Baikal on the right.

I have shared that fight video already, but now I´m not sure was it in this thread. Anyway it can be found easily, but there is only how it starts, first 30 seconds or so.

It's an old account, the video has definitely been posted here and other forums many times.
If I recall, Baikal was distracted by one while the other attacked from behind similar to how you see Lions fight when they have a numbers advantage.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(07-01-2019, 05:30 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 05:07 PM)Shadow Wrote:

Baikal on the right.

It's an old account, the video has definitely been posted here and other forums many times.
If I recall, Baikal was distracted by one while the other attacked from behind similar to how you see Lions fight when they have a numbers advantage.

Yes, one attacked from behind and it looked like other one then backed off, while Vasili and Baikal continued. This photo which I shared is from situation clearly later. And there is some footage/photos from the end of that fight too, where Vasili has Baikal on ground, maybe dead already or just dying there. If there is interest, not too hard to find.
2 users Like Shadow's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(07-01-2019, 04:36 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 10:49 AM)Rishi Wrote:

Did you take photos?

No it’s the zoo themselves that has taken it.

I meant, did you take any photos of these lions & tigers?
The above one shows just its head from an odd angle...

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-11-2019, 02:15 PM by Shadow )

I noticed this article in one posting. There was statement from zoo official about estimated weights of male and female tiger, 300 kg and over 200 kg.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/environment/flora-fauna/grown-up-tigers-cant-be-released-from-park-arunachal-forest-officials/articleshow/63665866.cms

There were also names Ipra and Chipi. Even though those weights are estimations, not valid weighings, it gave impression about big ones, but it seems to be quite challenging to find photos or videos about these two. That is odd, imo. I found some videos, but those tigers in closer range didn´t look impressive, actually made a bit sad impression, these two videos from Itanagar Biological Park have been uploaded to youtube 2018 and 2019.

This one, tigers are there from 0:18-1:18 and then again 1:56-2:30. For the first impression was, that so much loose skin swinging around and that is what I meant earlier with a bit sad impression.
Sound of this video is only music, so if muting video, no information is lost.

In this one 2:04-2:34 also tigers and again one detail which is obvious is that loose skin. And again only music as sound.

Does someone know better photos or videos, I watched something like 10-15 videos and didn´t find any impressive tigers from that place and also not any comments from people, who would have been impressed. And what comes to photos, also no luck. Is it only that one interview, which has been published in some medias or is there something more about these tigers and size, it would be nice to know if possible. 

Of course when giving estimations, there can be mistakes. And also reporters can put a little extra time to time in articles :) For me it looks like it, that in this case reality is less than that article says. But maybe I am wrong in this?

Ashutosh Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-11-2019, 05:28 PM by Ashutosh )

Hello @Shadow,

The video is of other captive tigers. In the post that you quoted by me, there was another link to an article, which talks about both the sibling tigers lacking oscilli or white patches on the back of their ears. You can clearly see tigers in the video have their oscilli.

There is a possibility that those tigers were kept away from public as to not get them used to humans because the original plan was to reintroduce them to the wild.
1 user Likes Ashutosh's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(08-11-2019, 05:26 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: Hello @Shadow,

The video is of other captive tigers. In the post that you quoted by me, there was another link to an article, which talks about both the sibling tigers lacking oscilli or white patches on the back of their ears. You can clearly see tigers in the video have their oscilli.

There is a possibility that those tigers were kept away from public as to not get them used to humans because the original plan was to reintroduce them to the wild.

Those tigers are kept separately, that I found out when trying to find something. But there really isn´t too much about these tigers, which could be found easily at least. Maybe only way to get more information would be to contact that zoo/biological park. There is quite a lot of footage from there, but those don´t open up situation. Pity, it would be really interesting to see these tigers, especially a tigress claimed to be as big as male tigers tend to be.

Ashutosh Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-11-2019, 05:53 PM by Ashutosh )

This is a picture of one of the tigers from 2013 when they were sub-adults. Notice the back of the ears. They are jet black and missing the oscilli.
2 users Like Ashutosh's post