There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canids and Hyaenids Interactions

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

I've cleaned up some. If you'd like to debate on hyena and wolf morphology and the like, please start a thread dedicated to that in the debate section, as this thread is going off topic. As usual, let me know and I'll move whatever needs to be.
2 users Like tigerluver's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

MASSIVE female hyena
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

As for the hyena vs wolf debate, I watched on a documentary a single male grey wolf kill a bull bison, one-on-one. That was extremely impressive! So, in my opinion, such as it is, a fight between a male wolf and a female spotted hyena might go either way. 
My big question is; has a meeting in the wild of a tiger and a grizzly ever once been caught on camera? 
2 users Like brotherbear's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

The Toulon Pack of wild dogs made three kills yesterday, and had a run in with some hyenas! Credits to Sabi Sabi.

3 users Like Tshokwane's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Wild dogs vs Hyena, Kirkman's Kamp Private Game Reserve( south of ther Sabi sands). Credits to Jarryd du Preez.

*This image is copyright of its original author

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-22-2017, 10:43 PM by Pantherinae )

Recently our guests had one of the best sightings ever in Madikwe Game Reserve! We were out with Declan, our guide and we went in search of the wild dogs we’d heard had taken down a waterbuck on the western side of one of the dams.
Wild dogs rip their prey apart in seconds, killing them swiftly. Many say that this brutal way of doing away with their prey is mean, but I think I’d prefer it to the slower suffocating death that the big cats offer. Also feeding is a quick business and on approach we could see that most of their kill had been promptly gulped down and what now remained was literally skin and bones. The only ones still interested in the scraps were the youngsters; last year’s pups. 

Some of the dogs showed a keen interest in the two waterbucks that wearily watched them from the middle of the dam. One of the waterbucks was brave enough to try to make it into the bush but the dogs were there in a heartbeat, so the buck ran for safety into the water again… and this time, she stayed put.

After a while one of the older dogs made off with a big bone and only two of the younger members of the pack could be bothered with the skin.
But this is when a brown hyena seized the opportunity and came sneaking in. Brown hyenas are usually very shy and I’ve never seen one in broad daylight before!

On the third attempt the hyena figured out that it worked best to come storming towards the desired treasure, rather than trying to use stealth.

The explosion of activity was amazing and it was absolutely fascinating to watch the pack defend their prize, even though barely anything remained… and I guess this was the reason they finally did give up and let the scavenger get his way.

This is definitely the best brown hyena, wild dog interaction I have witnessed; total magic! So happy we were to be at the right place at the right time. 

8 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Amazing interracial between a brown Hyena and a pack of wild dogs. The determination, toughness and power of the brown hyena has got to be respected. I have rarely seen single spotted hyenas be so bold against so many wild dogs and win. 

2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-20-2017, 05:18 PM by Ngala )

From Nkorho Bush Lodge, credits to Nkorho Rangers:
19 July 2017.
Morning Drive.
-Started following some female Leopard tracks when we got a call saying that the pack of three Wild Dogs are on a big open area and had just killed a Nyala. As we got there they were chasing Hyenas around and soon lost there kill to about 8 Hyenas. What a fantastic sighting.

4 users Like Ngala's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-09-2017, 02:15 AM by Ngala )

Photo and information credits: Jarryd du Preez photography
"If I had to choose one sighting everyday to see for the rest of my life, it would most definitely be African wild dogs and spotted hyena interacting."

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-12-2017, 04:40 PM by Ngala )

Photo and information credits: Gkpixels
"Tug of war in rains." From Matira Bush Camp, Masai Mara, Kenya.

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

From Londolozi Game Reserve, May 23, 2013, Wild Dog Bites Hyena by Alex Van Den Heever:

For a number of days a pack of wild dogs had been seen around the Ximpalapala clearings. One day 5 dogs would be seen, the next 4, the next 6. Our hopes were raised that the dogs may have been denning somewhere in the vicinity, but it wasn’t long before we realised that the regular pack of 9 that is seen in the Sabi Sands had split up and were trying to find each other.

In any event, we headed North over the Sand River early one morning to try and find the pack and hopefully see them hunting. It wasn’t long before Renias Mhlongo found their tracks and established a direction, and shortly after that we were with the pack on the hunt.

Wild Dogs have one of the highest success rates among predators; catching prey over 70% of the time they go hunting. Today was no exception, as they managed to bring down an impala after having chased it into a thicket. The noisy feeding of the pack attracted the attention of a nearby hyena who came loping in to see if he could steal some scraps from the carcass.

The dogs were having none of it, and made it very clear that they resented the hyena’s presence.
The hyena was persistent however, but he came a bit too close and one of the dogs latched onto his nose, refusing to let go while the hyena squealed in pain!

Wild dogs have one of, if not the strongest bite for an animal of their size, so the hyena was very lucky to get away with little more than a very painful nose and a bruised ego. He still came back for more, and this time was lucky enough to grab a piece of meat which he promptly made off with.

His tenacity was rewarded in the end, but I doubt he will forget that bite on his nose in a hurry!

Filmed by Jack Wilson (Londolozi Guest)
Written by James Tyrrell

United States Fredymrt Offline

Merry Christmas to everyone! Excited

Credits to Jake McDaniel safariLIVE

A Matter of Perspective: Hyena vs. Wild Dogs 

Hyenas get a bad rap. Thanks to a combination of sources, from myths to media, hyenas are seen as “bad” animals. Perhaps their appearances don’t help: they’re hardly pleasant to look upon, resembling beefy dogs with powerful, slavering jaws filled with a mouthful of bone-crushing teeth and ‘laughing’ in a fashion that disturbs many. 
But I have always been drawn to hyenas, probably helped by my preference for creatures with claws, teeth, and tentacles. With this fascination elected sympathy. I would often root for predators in wildlife shows. I remembered being quite upset when warthogs would get away from lions or a wildebeest would wrench himself free of a crocodile’s crushing bite. Perhaps that is why this scenario brought forth conflicting emotions within me.
To view this moment along with me, view this:

This moment casts the hyena in a rare role as the hero. Not by design, but in capturing a moment of nature, this narrative turns the usual antagonistic image we have created for the hyena in a different light. It creates a sense of unease in the audience, showing them at the mercy of another and shows that the constructs we have created for the animal kingdom are just that: imagined.
This moment begins, like all good stories, with a build-up to the excitement. In a dense patch of woodland, I catch glimpses of a frenetic scene. For a moment, the scene is just a blur. All that can be made out is bodies circling together in a mad frenzy. The growls of multiple somethings echo across the woodland.
Then I look closer, my body twitching with anticipation, and the scene is revealed. A lone hyena stands surrounded by a pack of wild dogs. Instantly this provokes a reaction in me. To me, the scene recalls a lone hero, standing against impossible odds, valiantly trying to escape or fight off a horde of enemies. In a split second this burst of nature had created a narrative, a struggle between a protagonist and many antagonists.
My empathy reached out for the poor, cornered hyena. Get away! My mind practically cried. In hindsight, I completely lost my viewpoint of rooting for the predators. The wild dogs were not antagonistic, not malicious, but my sympathy still went to the underdog- the hyena against overwhelming odds.
The hyena manages to escape with minor injuries, fleeing its pursuers and vanishing into the woodland. The wild dogs are left alone, somehow seeming suddenly less fearsome as they stand together almost confused, flipping the perspective yet again to show there were no villains in this story, just animals having a go at each other. But I still fell into the old human trap of wanting to assign roles to the participants.
Of course, I see why prey are often rooted for over predators, but this particular scenario further hammered out exactly ‘why’ this happens. Humans have a hard time viewing things with a neutral eye. Maybe by understanding our desire for villains and heroes can help us turn away from such traditional portrayals and truly adhere to the idea that ‘nature is nature’. Seeing as how I fell so back easily on this traditional form of storytelling, I think it’s going to be a stubborn frame of mind to abandon for most of us.
2 users Like Fredymrt's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

The spotted hyena can be a nightmare for a distracted African wild dog   - which must act quickly ! -...

2 users Like Spalea's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor

African wild dogs (Lycaon pictus) versus spotted hyenas (Crocuta crocuta)

Bangladesh TheHyenid76 Offline

Images from African Predators by Dr Gus Mills

"At the scene of a kill, black-jacked jackal and spotted hyena scrap over the spoils."

"Elsewhere, a brown hyaena and black-backed jackals feed together." 

"Although smaller than the brown hyaena, particularly in the drier western region of southern Africa, the black-backed jackal is usually the first at the scene of a kill."

"On the other hand, hyaena bone crunching can attract a jackal to the site, where it waits around patiently."

1 user Likes TheHyenid76's post