There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can a Lone Male Lion have a successful predation on a Adult Bull Buffalo?

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-18-2019, 06:50 PM by Shadow )

(08-18-2019, 04:46 PM)Pckts Wrote: Any other videos, I cant view your post @Pantherinae

Looks like to be this:

https://www.facebook.com/181324685890740/videos/712978845790129/
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-18-2019, 06:58 PM by Shadow )

Maybe this is now functional...
3 users Like Shadow's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-18-2019, 07:51 PM by Pckts )

Thanks @Shadow
Any description other than a Cape being fed on alive is hearsay unless specified by the actual owner of the video.

LazarLazar Offline
Banned

A male lion kills a bull buffalo alone
https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDU3NTIyMTY0.html
3 users Like LazarLazar's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(01-30-2020, 10:46 PM)LazarLazar Wrote: A male lion kills a bull buffalo alone

Brilliant find, tfs!
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Luxembourg Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(01-30-2020, 10:46 PM)LazarLazar Wrote: A male lion kills a bull buffalo alone

Great find ! And this buffalo seemed really powerful...
2 users Like Spalea's post

Luxembourg Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

On this video we can fairly admit that a lone male makes the whole work. The lioness is watching and the other males coming after are rather interested by this lioness.

4 users Like Spalea's post

TigerJaguar Offline

See how powerful the lion's forepaws are it literally made the bull go full vertical

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-15-2020, 08:36 PM)TigerJaguar Wrote: See how powerful the lion's forepaws are it literally made the bull go full vertical

It was movement, when that bull fell which made it go almost full vertical, it had nothing to do with fore paw strength :) Lions are strong, but not that strong, big bulls like that can be easily 600-800 kg. Big cat´s can´t even drag that big animals more than a few meters max. with extreme efforts.

Awesome hunt though, from it nothing can be taken off from this male lion. He made it look like easy. One of the most amazing performances I´ve ever seen from big cats, very nice find @Spalea .
2 users Like Shadow's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

(02-15-2020, 09:31 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 08:36 PM)TigerJaguar Wrote: See how powerful the lion's forepaws are it literally made the bull go full vertical

It was movement, when that bull fell which made it go almost full vertical, it had nothing to do with fore paw strength :) Lions are strong, but not that strong, big bulls like that can be easily 600-800 kg. Big cat´s can´t even drag that big animals more than a few meters max. with extreme efforts.

Awesome hunt though, from it nothing can be taken off from this male lion. He made it look like easy. One of the most amazing performances I´ve ever seen from big cats, very nice find @Spalea .
I never doubted it

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-15-2020, 11:09 PM)chaos Wrote:

I never doubted it

If you mean a lion killing a bull cape buffalo alone, I have also never doubted it. Dangerous prey but not impossible, there is even one case in which a lioness killed a bull buffalo alone. That was really surprising.

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-16-2020, 01:13 AM by Pckts )

A big fit bull like this is much more robust than that skinny older bull. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

When you see a real alpha bachelor, you know they aren't going down to a lone lion without an immense fight.

Here is what a real big cape bull vs Lions looks like

If you can find a lone lion taking on one of those I'd be amazed.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-16-2020, 12:46 AM)Pckts Wrote:

A big fit bull is much more robust than this skinny older bull. 

When you see a real alpha bachelor, you know they aren't going down to a lone lion without an immense fight.

It doesn´t change it, that this lion made that hunt to look easy. There are many other clips showing, that some lions obviously know what they are doing while others struggle. That is of course same with all species, some are better than others in certain things.

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-16-2020, 03:02 AM by Pckts )

(02-16-2020, 12:52 AM)Shadow Wrote:

It doesn´t change it, that this lion made that hunt to look easy. There are many other clips showing, that some lions obviously know what they are doing while others struggle. That is of course same with all species, some are better than others in certain things.
Of course it does.
Do you think a 65 year old man is comparable in strength, stamina and mobility to a 30 year old?
Regardless of technique, a lone lion vs a big prime cape bull is going to have a hard time, nothing is coming easy there. And if I'm betting, I'm betting on the bull every time.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-16-2020, 01:04 AM)Pckts Wrote:

(02-16-2020, 12:52 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Of course it does.
Do you think a 65 year old man is comparable in strength, stamina and mobility to a 30 year old?
Regardless of technique, a lone lion vs a big prime buffalo cape bull is going to have a hard time, nothing is coming easy there. And if I'm betting, I'm betting on the bull every time.

You are free to have your opinion of course. I never said, that cape buffalo is easy meal, but this male lion showed impressive skills, imo. I´ve seen many lions do much worse. Everyone are free to bet what they want of course, but I´m not surprised to see time to time lions kill also bull buffalos because I´ve never seen it as impossible. Very challenging though and not something to happen too often.