There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brown Bears (Info, Pics and Videos)

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

Big dominant Brown Bear in Katmai Alaska
Credit to @sstone_images

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like epaiva's post

TigerJaguar Offline

THE GREAT BEAR ALMANAC. A BISON DESTROYS A BEAR IN A FIGHT. THE BEAR HAD TWO HOLES IN IT. ALL THE BEAR’S RIBS ON ONE SIDE WERE BROKEN.
ALSO, HUNTER WITNESSES A HUGE MALE GRIZZLY ATTACK A SMALL HERD OF BUFFALO COWS PROTECTED BY FIVE OR SIX BULLS. WHEN THE BULLS CHARGED, THE BEAR STRUCK ONE OF THEM SO HARD WITH HIS PAWS THAT HE BROKE THE BACK OF THE BULL, KILLING HIM INSTANTLY.

4 users Like TigerJaguar's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-15-2020, 10:24 PM by epaiva )

Always be careful when you try to steal food of a Bear especially when they have huge powerful claws like the Kodiak Bear 
Credit to @sstone_images

4 users Like epaiva's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

David Yarrow: " The Happy Bear⁣

Everything in this dynamic image works – the light, the shape of the bear and most of all, his facial expression. At this one moment in time, he looks so happy just being a bear. And so he should – the water is bursting with salmon and on this stretch of the creek he is “The Don”. His prime position will be unchallenged and he can eat as much as he likes for as long as he likes – on my watch, that worked out at about 30 /40 salmon a day.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
I needed to lie in the river to take this image – my camera had to be as close to the water as possible. My waders were invaded at chest level and I returned to the bank absolutely drenched. It is part of the job I guess – no photographer should really return to base camp dry and clean after an intense day in the field. I maybe take this dynamic to uncomfortable levels, but it makes the evening shower and debriefing drink that much more satisfying. This is not a job for precious people. "

2 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Thomas Vilayan: " Friendly fight! "

4 users Like Spalea's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Viva l'Orso

Italian brown bear.

7 users Like Lycaon's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Miha Mlakar

Slovenian mating pair.

7 users Like Lycaon's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

(06-12-2019, 10:12 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to Richard Olsen Photography.

The Big Boy searching for a little springtime love.

These male bears follow the scent of females like a bird dog follows the scent of a pheasant. Nose to the ground.

i don't know why but the news of you passing really struck me, so I wanted to reply to your last post. May you rest in peace and find rest after your fight with this terrible decease.
7 users Like Luipaard's post

Wildanimal Lover

Niko Pekonen: " Brown bear (ursus arctos) in spring. Finland "

2 users Like Spalea's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-03-2020, 06:18 AM by Dark Jaguar )

Monster Kodiak Bear.

who in sober mind is crazy enough to keep walking forward after seeing this??

4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-09-2020, 03:01 PM by Shadow )

This is one very interesting article. As it´s well known, there isn´t too much good information about real weights of the biggest bears. Among terrestrial predatory animals real weights of the bears living at Alaskan and Kamchatka peninsula and Kodiak Islands are maybe one of the least studied by valid field weighings. This article tells about one very interesting project and new method which can in future give quite good information. 

At the moment it´s difficult to say exactly how accurate these results are, but they look quite realistic, when comparing to valid results in chart based on weighings done by Troyer and his team. It´s often said, that the biggest Kodiak bears can be over 680 kg (1500 lbs). This study also indicates, that it´s very plausible, that the biggest brown bears in their heaviest condition can be anything in between 700-800 kg. At this point this study is for sure accurate in it, that it helps to see how big these bears are in comparison with each others. These are Katmai bears, maybe "first contenders" in size to Kodiak bears.

Quote: "Fat Bear Week is over for another year, and Holly has claimed the title of the fattest bear of 2019. She is a true champion of Katmai National Park, an individual who exemplifies skill and success in the bear world. In Katmai, fully grown and well fed adult female bears like Holly can often tip the scales at 600–700 pounds and Holly is probably well within, or even exceeds, that weight class. Based on her overall size though, how might she compare to other bears in Katmai? And just how big can a Katmai bear grow? Now, thanks to unusual use of terrestrial laser scanning technology, we have some answers."

The mighty 747 is one of the largest bears living on Earth today.

https://medium.com/@exploreorg/how-big-are-fat-bear-week-bears-cd4f23036c33
3 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-09-2020, 07:57 PM by Shadow )

Another article about scanning volumes of bears.

Katmai National Park broke new ground in laser scanning this October when a survey-grade scanner was used for their annual “Fat Bear Week.”

Quote: "Cusick says, “It’s [otherwise considered] impossible to get fall bear weights due to size. They simply can’t lift a fall bear using tripod/pulley in the field, so this is a possible way to derive what is otherwise impossible to measure on such large creatures.“"

A shot from the primary camera of the scanner shows the point returns (380 feet) of Otis, a popular bear at the falls, sitting in the “office.”

https://www.xyht.com/lidarimaging/trimble-scanning-roundest-bear/
2 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

I put this as kind of reminder just in case, that someone who is interested about bears haven´t seen before those articles in my latest postings. I recommend to check if so, quite interesting information and possible new method to use in future also to other animals (I hope). There are more important things in conservation of wildlife, but I can admit that of course I´m curious to know more about sizes of big individuals. And now it looks like that in future there could be animal friendly way to get information. 

Btw, very small sample, but those four males were in average 530 kg, that is quite something even for autumn weight. Biggest inland brown bears are 130-150 kg lighter even when in really fat condition. Some really exceptional ones might be close to 500 kg, but that means something extraordinary, when talking about "inland" brown bear.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Wildanimal Lover

1 user Likes Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Daniel Linhardt: " When that one sibling is taking social distancing too seriously and chooses to walk face first through a weed rather than get closer. "

1 user Likes Spalea's post