There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brown Bears (Info, Pics and Videos)

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-25-2019, 06:04 AM by Shadow )

Footage where bear chases moose. Jämtland, Sweden 2016, April 26th. It is said on video description, that bear hunted and killed moose. Video is posted by association of Swedish hunters, so even though on video can be seen just how bear closes distance between it and moose, it is quite obvious that place and result have been checked later. Interesting to see how agile bear is here and able to outrun that  moose.

Another case from June 2009. This video also makes it clear why so rare to get it filmed when bear makes a kill, just look at environment.

7 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-01-2019, 11:15 PM by Shadow )

It looks like, that a lot of bear related incidents in Sweden this spring. I put here one rough translation about recent case, happened yesterday May 25th. "Classic", getting in between mother bear and cubs... Luckily this man got only quite minor wounds.

Source: https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/man-attackerad-av-bjorn-1/

Rough translation of article: 

Orienteer Thomas Ericson, 62, was attacked by a bear with cubs in Ovanåker in Hälsingland.
He got several bites and was nursed in hospital for his injuries.
- I tried to run away from the bear but stumbled and then she was over me and bit me, says Thomas Ericson for Expressen.

At 19 o'clock on Saturday night, the police received a call about the incident. Then a man in his 60s had been out and orientated in a forest in Ovanåker in Hälsingland - and happened to end up between a bear female and her cubs, the police write on their website.
Bear mother tore the man so that he was injured, but it should not be a serious injury. He is nursed in hospital according to the police, but it is unclear whether he went there himself or if he got help to get there.

Surprised the bear mother with cubs

Expressen got in contact with the affected orientator on Sunday morning. His name is Thomas Ericson and belongs to Alfta Ösa OK. He says that he was out to set up controls for a big competition that the club arranges in early June.
It was in a forest area about 11 kilometers west of Edsbyn called Gammelhomna.
- I was alone in the forest and ran around with the screens when I saw the bear honey on a lesser clearing in the woods. She had cubs, two of them I think. The distance was only 10-15 meters and I think they were doing something so I surprised them, says Thomas Ericson.

The bear went to attack immediately. Thomas responded by trying to run away from the bear, but it failed.
- The bear roared and I tried to roar something back. Then I ran, says Thomas and continues:
- I stumbled and fell already after a few meters and then she was over me. She bit me in the calf and I put my arms over my head to protect me. Then she bit me in the arm too. But then she left the place. I heard her and the kids but lay on the ground and kept me quiet.
When the bear and the cubs disappeared, he got back to the car and drove home. Then he went to the health service to review the damage.

"Lied there and tried to keep me calm"
- It wasn't serious, more like dog bites. It's the marks of the teeth but no more. I was bandaged and got antibiotics, explains Thomas Ericson who seems to have taken the dramatic event well.
- The first instinct to run was perhaps not quite right. But when I lay there on the ground I was completely calm and thought rationally. How I would get back to the car and such.
  Thomas perceived the bear as rather small, just over a meter in height, but lightning fast.
- She attacked directly and there was no chance of getting away, he says.
  Thomas Ericson has been orientated for 40 years and has also been out in the current forest area many times before.
- But I've never seen any bear before. However, I have hoped to see one, but not really like this.

Police: Normal behavior for female bear with cubs
The police state that they will not take any action with regard to the bear attack. The bear mother and her cubs should be left in peace.
"The incident has not led to any action on the part of the police - the behavior of the bear dog is considered natural for females with cubs, and the police do not think she is more dangerous than any other bear".
The county administrative board shall be informed of the incident.
4 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

I put this video here, not because something new and strange, but just to give one size comparison. So if someone is curious about it, that how big is head of reasonable sized inland brown bear/grizzly compared to about average head of man, look part 0:24-0:28, stop video time to time and there you can see big male bear right next to a man. Gives a bit different kind of perspective than some skull measurements.

Bear is famous Finnish brown bear Juuso, he really seem to want to have company when time to hibernate :)

6 users Like Shadow's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-11-2019, 06:23 PM by BorneanTiger )

In one case, a Russian guy who was illegally trying to collect deer antlers in Siberia, so that he could sell them in the black market, almost got killed by a brown bear, before biting its tongue off, and thus scaring him, but now, he's injured and there's a police case against him: https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/man-vs-...82055.html

In another case, a German guy who was hiking with his English girlfriend in the Carpathian mountains of southern Romania, even though they were warned by priests not to scale the mountains, got attacked by a 6-foot tall mother bear, getting his leg ripped in the process, before heeding his girlfriend's advise to punch it in the eye, which made the mother bear flee: http://www.ladbible.com/community/inspir...e-20190609

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like BorneanTiger's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Jacob Campbell‎.

This big boy was on a mission to find a lady!

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Eugene Kiedrowski.

Grizzly Bear Sow with Cubs

815 as she and the coy forage Monday night. They strayed close to the road and then went into the woods for the evening.

7 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Richard Olsen Photography.

The Big Boy searching for a little springtime love.

These male bears follow the scent of females like a bird dog follows the scent of a pheasant. Nose to the ground.

7 users Like Tshokwane's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-24-2019, 07:33 PM by Shadow )

Kuhmo, Finland and 20th June 2019 about 4 AM. Antti Rintala from Helsinki was photographing animals on carcass. There were bears, wolf and also wolverine taking turns during night. Then other animals vanished, also bears and reason can be seen in this photo with almost magical athmosphere.

This big boy was here about 20 meters from Rintala, who took the photo. This is something what I have heard from people who spend time taking these photos. When certain big bears arrive on scene, even wolves which can harass other bears, give space and humbly wait, until "king" has done his business. There seems to be something, what animals sense from others.
8 users Like Shadow's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

Not sure if posted before! Bald eagle attacks grizzly bear:

5 users Like Luipaard's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Photo and Video by Ronan Donovan @ronan_donovan | This image and the accompanying video showcase the girth of the Yellowstone grizzly bear known as Bearzilla. The video really shows off his fat stores. I still can't get over how chubby he is in March, the time when bears emerge from hibernation and typically come out lean and muscular after burning through their stored fat. But not Bearzilla. It's likely that he'd been waking up once a month to gorge on the bison carcasses near his den. Either way, this roughly 700-pound bear is huge! Hop on over to @ronan_donovan to see more photos and videos of Bearzilla #yellowstonenationalpark #bearzilla

Scroll right
5 users Like Pckts's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-28-2019, 12:49 AM by Shadow )

This is just recorded footage, where two male bears fight for dominance after rutting time. No exact date in article, but I assume that during last day or two maybe. Filmed very close , about 10 meters, and sounds can be heard quite good too. Overall one of the best videos I have seen concerning bear fights, whole situation from start to finish is here.

Hopefully this video works out, I can´t put it here like from youtube.

https://www.is.fi/kotimaa/art-2000006156154.html
6 users Like Shadow's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Awesome find Shadow,
I uploaded it for WildFact members

7 users Like sanjay's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(06-28-2019, 05:24 PM)sanjay Wrote: Awesome find Shadow,

Nice. Not the most serious fight, but still impressive. Something like older one reminding who is still the boss in that part of forest. Younger obviously wasn´t ready to really challenge it.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(06-28-2019, 12:48 AM)Shadow Wrote: This is just recorded footage, where two male bears fight for dominance after rutting time. No exact date in article, but I assume that during last day or two maybe. Filmed very close , about 10 meters, and sounds can be heard quite good too. Overall one of the best videos I have seen concerning bear fights, whole situation from start to finish is here.

Hopefully this video works out, I can´t put it here like from youtube.

https://www.is.fi/kotimaa/art-2000006156154.html

@Shadow
Very good video pure power thanks for sharing

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

(06-28-2019, 05:24 PM)sanjay Wrote: Awesome find Shadow,

Watching this makes me think why people think a lion or a tiger could overpower a bear.