There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Caiman

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Powerful beast.

VIDEO

*This image is copyright of its original author

By Via Amazônia

5 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

@GrizzlyClaws  @johnny rex @Lycaon @Rage2277 @peter @epaiva  

Take a look at this.

Black Caiman predation on Green Anaconda.

Battle of Titans in Amazon.

''The Amazon Rainforest is an amazing wild world, this is a picture of a Black Caiman who hunted an Anaconda and is carrying it to somewhere to eat it. Scenes like this one can be seen during the canoe rides around the Añangu Land.''

Añangu - Yasuní National Park

6 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-10-2021, 03:39 AM by Dark Jaguar )

Black Caiman's strategy to hunt Piranhas and other shoal of fishes.

From the same source of the post in the First Page of the Black Caiman with the Capybara kill and feeding on Pirarucu (Arapaima gigas).

2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

Jaguar Enthusiast

French Guiana

By Denys Poulet:

''All the French Guiana “Green Hell” sums up in one picture:''

''A 4 meters long Black Caiman together with a certainly Blood-Sucker Bat.''

''To tell the truth, it was nothing like hell: no mosquitoes in the Kaw wetlands, this bat is eating insects, and during the day we have swum exactly where the caiman is standing. Well, no volunteer to jump in the water at night. Lol  ''

4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

(12-13-2020, 03:28 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: Captures, Sizes and Measurements.

MALES

Big male Skull length and Report of an alleged 6.4 meters long specimen found in Ecuador.

From the book ''CROCODILES OF THE WORLD'' BY COLIN STEVENSON.

https://www.nhbs.com/crocodiles-of-the-world-book

''A large Black Caiman Skull is held in Florida State Museum in Gainesville. The skull measures 58.8 cm (23.1 in) in length, equating to a caiman of approximately 4.84m (15.9 ft) total length. A report from 1957 of a Black Caiman of 6.4 m (21 ft) in Ecuador seems exaggerated and no evidence remains of this individual. However it seems clear that the species can attain giant sizes.''

I managed to get the information of a 5.20 meters long tank captured in Mamirauá.

A few months back I had a conversation about amazonic jaguars with Wedzzy del Toro who works in Mamirauá reserve along with Jaguar researcher Emiliano Ramalho and I took advantage to ask her about the sizes of Black Caimans captured in that area and she told me about one of 5,20m long.

''I know about a caiman (black caiman) in Mamirauá that was captured measureing 5.20m, and weighing approximately 300 kg. Maybe there are more registers of larger animals in literature.''

Right bellow on the continuation it was about jaguars she said she doesn't recall the weight of Zangado male (which I asked her) and she told me the average sizes of amazonic males and females from Mamirauá reserve but its not the topic here.

Big wild specimen who ate the dog.

https://portalpontual.com.br/2020/06/05/...-amazonas/

credits: Portal Pontual

6m+ Chicão wild male from Cururu river.

''Chicão is a more than 6m long Black Caiman who already has his teeth falling out due to his age, he lives on the banks of the Cururu River in the south of Pará, almost on the border with MT at my friend Cleiton William's place.''

Chicão is a true monster.

4 meters long Black caiman killed by locals due to being wondering around the flooded backyards and fear of predation on their animals and children in Itaituba west Pará - Brazil

Specimens captured by the Brazilian Black Caiman Expert Ronis da Silveira ( DA SILVEIRA ) in 2000.

''The researcher Ronis da Silveira captures another black caiman with steel cable. Data collected in his researches which made him capture more than 3,000 caimans, it indicates the possibility of management with exploitation of the species in 15 of the 620 lakes in the focal area of the project Mamirau - (RDS Sustainable Development Reserve) Mamirauá, Tefé, Amazonas, Brazil. ''

Photo: Paulo Santos - December 7th 2000

7/12/2000

https://acervoh.photoshelter.com/image/I0000IyPdhP7GCno

https://acervoh.photoshelter.com/gallery...ZUqsPU7pBQ

Ronis da Silveira and Massive Tank.

https://acervoh.photoshelter.com/image/I0000zjFx.4uFW0A

Unfortunately I didn't find info on their sizes.

Around 4,5m long wild male captured in bad shape.

http://g1.globo.com/am/amazonas/noticia/...anaus.html
Year: 2012

''One black caiman of approximately 4.5 m long was captured by the Fire Department on the morning of Tuesday (20) at Porto do Ceasa, East Zone of Manaus. According to the State Super intendence of Navigation, Ports and Waterways (SNPH), the animal was found 75 meters from the waterfront by a flying pilot who tied it up and activated the firefighters.

Inpa veterinarian Anselmo Fonseca told G1 that the Caiman will be taken to the Institute's artificial lake. "We should stay with him, but I believe that other places that shelters animals like the Cigs are also of interest. At first we're going to keep it in an enclosed space here at the headquarters" he revealed.

According to Inpa's veterinarian, the animal is a male of the alligator species. "He is approximately 50 years old and between 250 and 300 kg" he said. He is fine, but a looking a little thin. Now we have to let him go, because an animal like that must be stressed and can go into shock because of the heat" he added.

One of those responsible for capturing the black caiman, Captain Hellinton Silva from the Firemen Department he pointed out that such occurrences are common in Porto do Ceasa. "It's normal to find animals there but this size is more difficult" he said.''

photos: Camila Henriques

5 meters long captive specimen which his weight far surpassed the weighing machine's limit of 380 kg confirmed by one of the guys who managed him Diogo Rossetti.

He ''broke'' the weighing machine.

4.2m long wild specimen being measured on video.

5.3m long specimen With some Tail missing.

Another big beast captured in Rondônia.

I am glad this time the local people didn't kill the animal and decided to call the rescue specialized for these cases to take the animal back to the wild away from humans.

Jaguar Enthusiast

Bitishannah Offline

MALES

Big male Skull length and Report of an alleged 6.4 meters long specimen found in Ecuador.

''A large Black Caiman Skull is held in Florida State Museum in Gainesville. The skull measures 58.8 cm (23.1 in) in length, equating to a caiman of approximately 4.84m (15.9 ft) total length. A report from 1957 of a Black Caiman of 6.4 m (21 ft) in Ecuador seems exaggerated and no evidence remains of this individual. However it seems clear that the species can attain giant sizes.''

I managed to get the information of a 5.20 meters long tank captured in Mamirauá.

A few months back I had a conversation about amazonic jaguars with Wedzzy del Toro who works in Mamirauá reserve along with Jaguar researcher Emiliano Ramalho and I took advantage to ask her about the sizes of Black Caimans captured in that area and she told me about one of 5,20m long.

''I know about a caiman (black caiman) in Mamirauá that was captured measureing 5.20m, and weighing approximately 300 kg. Maybe there are more registers of larger animals in literature.''

Right bellow on the continuation it was about jaguars she said she doesn't recall the weight of Zangado male (which I asked her) and she told me the average sizes of amazonic males and females from Mamirauá reserve but its not the topic here.

''Chicão is a more than 6m long Black Caiman who already has his teeth falling out due to his age, he lives on the banks of the Cururu River in the south of Pará, almost on the border with MT at my friend Cleiton William's place.''

4 meters long Black caiman killed by locals due to being wondering around the flooded backyards and fear of predation on their animals and children in Itaituba west Pará - Brazil

Specimens captured by the Brazilian Black Caiman Expert Ronis da Silveira ( DA SILVEIRA ) in 2000.

''The researcher Ronis da Silveira captures another black caiman with steel cable. Data collected in his researches which made him capture more than 3,000 caimans, it indicates the possibility of management with exploitation of the species in 15 of the 620 lakes in the focal area of the project Mamirau - (RDS Sustainable Development Reserve) Mamirauá, Tefé, Amazonas, Brazil. ''

7/12/2000

''One black caiman of approximately 4.5 m long was captured by the Fire Department on the morning of Tuesday (20) at Porto do Ceasa, East Zone of Manaus. According to the State Super intendence of Navigation, Ports and Waterways (SNPH), the animal was found 75 meters from the waterfront by a flying pilot who tied it up and activated the firefighters.

Inpa veterinarian Anselmo Fonseca told G1 that the Caiman will be taken to the Institute's artificial lake. "We should stay with him, but I believe that other places that shelters animals like the Cigs are also of interest. At first we're going to keep it in an enclosed space here at the headquarters" he revealed.

According to Inpa's veterinarian, the animal is a male of the alligator species. "He is approximately 50 years old and between 250 and 300 kg" he said. He is fine, but a looking a little thin. Now we have to let him go, because an animal like that must be stressed and can go into shock because of the heat" he added.

One of those responsible for capturing the black caiman, Captain Hellinton Silva from the Firemen Department he pointed out that such occurrences are common in Porto do Ceasa. "It's normal to find animals there but this size is more difficult" he said.''

5 meters long captive specimen which his weight far surpassed the weighing machine's limit of 380 kg confirmed by one of the guys who managed him Diogo Rossetti.

500 kg for 20 foor specimen is too less dont you think? And 300kg for 5.2 meters? That looks too less!.
1 user Likes Bitishannah's post

Bitishannah Offline

MALES

7/12/2000

Clearly tthe 4.2 meter specimen is looking so weak!

Jaguar Enthusiast

(02-09-2021, 10:04 PM)Bitishannah Wrote:

MALES

7/12/2000

500 kg for 20 foor specimen is too less dont you think? And 300kg for 5.2 meters? That looks too less!.

@Bitishannah

Yes, I think Those weight distributions mostly are estimated by those involved in the captures and accidents and not all places they got a proper weighing machine to properly weight these giants, even on the fatal case of the 4.12 meters individual who killed the child ( who's same individual is said to be involved on a different attack to human on another case ) on that post #11 (first page) it was published scientifically and yet they say he weighed around 350 kg only as estimation, probably cause they didn't get their hands on the dead crocodilian themselves.

As an example in Mamirauá reserve as you can see in the first page the females black caimans captured were weighed on a machine scale with a limit of 200 kg (440lbs) so males will very easily surpass that barrier, from what I've seen so far they only weight females there in Mamirauá and also Barthira one of the biologist who capture black caimans in Mamirauá reserve in Central Amazon, she told me that she never got to weight large males because it wasn't allowed in the area.

The 5.20 meters long Black Caiman captured in Mamirauá Reserve, Wezddy told me as you can see in the post she said on the capture he weighed APPROXIMATELY 300 kg, so I'd say his weight was an estimation.

Just imagine a tank like old male Chicão from the Cururu river who is said to be more than 6 meters long or those large specimens found in Roraima - northern Brazil being properly weighed, they'd need a way larger scale machine to get their proper weight numbers than those used for females ( The big female captured in Calçoene who didn't survive as her measurement was verified by IBAMA I am not sure if weight-wise she was weighed or estimated but she was a large specimen ).

Like you said their weights are more than those most estimations so aside from the verified ones I focus more on the length measurements.

Jaguar Enthusiast

Carimbó, the new São Paulo Zoo dweller.

Original video in Brazilian portuguese in the link bellow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxxkC4rksxs

Published in the Year: 2017

Carimbó is a 3,92 meters long male Black Caiman weighing around 300 kg who lived in a zoo in Belém do Pará northern Brazil that had its activities ended by IBAMA so Carimbó needed a new home and since São Pulo zoo was looking for a large sized crocodilian for one of their enclosures specially developed for this type of animal they housed Carimbó there.

Carimbó was brought all the way from Belém (north Brazil) to São Paulo (southest Brazil) by airplane on a 10h trip in a suitable temperature, suitable ventilation, vitamins and mineral supplement was applied for him to help during the trip.

Carimbó met his new home and adapted well, Its a very active animal and explores alot the enclosure and in a few moments he was already feeding.

After Carimbó adapted to the place final medical health exams was done to the crocodilian.

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-24-2021, 01:50 AM by Dark Jaguar )

4.5 meters long Alcindo male.

Alcindo was brought to a Zoo of the Museum Emílio Goeldi in Belém (PA) in the 1950's by a farmer from the Wild in Ilha de Marajó (Pará - Brazil).

He is 72 years old and he weights around 500 kg.

source: Matheus Pereira da Silva, 2019.

Jaguar Enthusiast

Black Caiman in Rurrenabaque Bolivia

Jaguar Enthusiast

Intraspecific conflict between Black Caimans over Pirarucu (Arapaima gigas) carcass in Mamirauá lake - Central Amazon - Brazil.

Gulherme Manzione

''When the atmosphere gets really tense. Black Caimans fighting over food in Mamirauá lake''