There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birmingham Pride of lions

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(10-02-2023, 08:44 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: I was thinking I’d was a warthog injury. Their lower tusks are extremely sharp. Young lioness hasn’t learned the trick to safely take down a warthog and she didn’t get a good bite/grip and the pig sliced her open. 
Just a theory.

certainly a plausible theory at that.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2023, 10:47 PM by Duco Ndona )

Its not likely to be a snare wound as those would have circled her entire neck. While what we see here is a deep gash at one spot but the rest of the neck remains untouched. A snare wound would also be vertical rather than horizontal.

Furthermore. Only the Esophagus, which lies deeper in the neck is damaged while the windpipe at the front is intact. Suggesting more a stab than a cut.

I agree that a warthog is also a good candidate. As a tusk of horn could leave such damage.

Its good to see she is welcomed back. Sometimes animals are hostile around extreme trauma. Either believing it to be contagious or seeing an opportunity to reshuffle the picking order.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

BigLion39 Offline

(10-02-2023, 08:23 PM)BA0701 Wrote: If it is in fact a snare injury, the reaction of the other lions to her after the injury is very interesting, given we saw the same sort of reaction to Ncile after his snare injury, and I'd dare say that behavior towards him continues in some way to this day, albeit to a lesser extent..

I'm not sure how she got that wound. Also didn't Red Road also deal with the aggression from the pride after he was caught in the snare? Or was it because of a different scenario?
1 user Likes BigLion39's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(10-03-2023, 02:05 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(10-02-2023, 08:23 PM)BA0701 Wrote: If it is in fact a snare injury, the reaction of the other lions to her after the injury is very interesting, given we saw the same sort of reaction to Ncile after his snare injury, and I'd dare say that behavior towards him continues in some way to this day, albeit to a lesser extent..

I'm not sure how she got that wound. Also didn't Red Road also deal with the aggression from the pride after he was caught in the snare? Or was it because of a different scenario?

The Red Road situation was not after he was snared...it was after he was in a 2 v 1 fight with Tintswalos. The Nharus showing aggression at the time was more about the fact he had been away from the pride (while recovering from the fight) for weeks and the pride was being cautious. After the Snare he was received quite ok.....same as they welcomed back the SilverEyed Nharu that was also snared afterwards.

a closer example was when Ncila was rejected by the Lionesses of the Mbiris and subsequently his brothers after the snare incident...I remember at the time I was asking and the guides felt it was temporary and likely due to the smell of the anti-baterial medications he was lathered in made the lions kleep him away...but as time went by, it didnt get any better for him...actually got worse.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(10-02-2023, 07:50 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(09-29-2023, 03:20 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: That's impressive that she is still alive and in such good condition. I wonder if she can properly feed with that wound and how exposed the airways and other critical parts are. 

I hope she makes a full recovery and re-joins the pride soon.

The Sub Adult was seen rejoining the pride on a kill.   The guides feel positive about her bouncing back.    This is a huge relief

So glad that she's been accepted back.
3 users Like afortich's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Another white cub has been born:

7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(10-05-2023, 08:09 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Another white cub has been born:

Absolutely incredible! I could use some good news lately, this is great! Which group is this, core pride with Ross Males, original Breakaway, or the newest breakaway with the Mbiris?
4 users Like BA0701's post

Contributor

(10-05-2023, 08:17 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Absolutely incredible! I could use some good news lately, this is great! Which group is this, core pride with Ross Males, original Breakaway, or the newest breakaway with the Mbiris?

The satellite group that is protected by the Mbiris

Super Moderator

(10-05-2023, 08:53 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:

Great, thank you my friend! That makes two white cubs from those two boys, they've now equaled the Ross Males in white cub output. Lets hope that they reach adulthood.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

Really exciting news!! This lioness was the mother of tje blue-eyed Birmingham lioness who sadly was killed
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(10-05-2023, 09:14 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-05-2023, 08:53 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:

Great, thank you my friend! That makes two white cubs from those two boys, they've now equaled the Ross Males in white cub output. Lets hope that they reach adulthood.

Hope this white cub is a female, that would be much better for the Birmingham pride
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

They have at least 10 cubs now right? Surely a few are female.
4 users Like Mapokser's post

Contributor

(10-05-2023, 11:19 PM)Mapokser Wrote: They have at least 10 cubs now right? Surely a few are female.

I think he hears hope the white cub is female. I do too :)

Contributor

ITS A GIRL.   :)

Black Dot’s Sister and her white cub

"The day time stood still for me. A lioness from the Birmingham Pride moves her tiny white lion cub to a new den, while the tawny cub tries to keep up.

I never expected to be so lucky as to witness something like this. A lioness carrying any cub in front of you, let alone in an unobstructed riverbed, is a bucketlist experience. How could the world be blessed with another one of these white lions?… My hands shook so much that the first 20 photos are unusable - but I will treasure every photo and video from that moment forever ?"

Ngala
Credit: Amy Palmer
October 6, 2023

Attached Files Image(s)

4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Beautiful BYM Mongawane on H7:

Photo credits: couple on safari

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Tr1x24's post