There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birmingham Pride of lions

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(01-03-2022, 09:18 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 07:29 PM)Timbavati Wrote: The old Birmingham lioness this morning at Orpen Waterhole

*This image is copyright of its original author
She looks really bad. Man, that sucks.

I couldn't be more agree, being said that, I also should point that she has reached an age which is such a good achievement for a lioness with a lot of back and forth, tough times, constant dynamics shifting, and a lot of new dominant males throughout the years. She lived his life at his best.I guess with a good meal she can pull tough this condition
5 users Like T I N O's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

The dark-maned Ross males mating with the white sub-adult female near Orpen.
Apparently there's inbreeding going on here..
Credit: Coen Oelofse

7 users Like lionuk's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor
Music  ( This post was last modified: 01-05-2022, 04:41 PM by Tonpa )

Sweet home alabama
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(01-05-2022, 01:03 PM)lionuk Wrote: The dark-maned Ross males mating with the white sub-adult female near Orpen.
Apparently there's inbreeding going on here..
Credit: Coen Oelofse

Is she old enough yet?
2 users Like Mdz123's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(01-05-2022, 07:28 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: Is she old enough yet?
From what I understand the pride has eight sub-adults born approximately between September 2018 and April 2020. So, I think she was born early 2019 because the white subadult male is a bit older than her, born in October 2018. 
2 users Like lionuk's post

United States criollo2mil Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-05-2022, 08:25 PM by criollo2mil )

(01-03-2022, 11:02 PM)Timbavati Wrote: A recent sighting of the old Birmingham lioness. Unfortunately, She's in really bad condition and with an injury.
Photo credit: Bjorn Borge Lunde 

(01-05-2022, 08:00 PM)lionuk Wrote:
From what I understand the pride has eight sub-adults born approximately between September 2018 and April 2020. So, I think she was born early 2019 because the white subadult male is a bit older than her, born in October 2018. 

The White Female was first sighted in April 2019 so likely born in March .to this same Lioness that’s currently struggling, The Legendary Bus.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-05-2022, 08:59 PM by Tr1x24 )

She is not yet ready to conceive, as she is not even 3 yrs old.

Most females first litters are after 3.5-4 yrs of age.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-05-2022, 09:49 PM by Mdz123 )

(01-05-2022, 08:58 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: She is not yet ready to conceive, as she is not even 3 yrs old.

The White Female was first sighted in April 2019 so likely born in March .to this same Lioness that’s currently struggling, The Legendary Bus.

Thanks for the clarifications. The old Lioness is sister of Matimbas if im not wrong? She has to be around 14-15 yrs old now
3 users Like Mdz123's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(01-05-2022, 09:48 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 08:58 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: She is not yet ready to conceive, as she is not even 3 yrs old.

Thanks for the clarifications. The old Lioness is sister of Matimbas if im not wrong? She has to be around 14-15 yrs old now
Some of old Birmingham generationrarion were born in early 2007 mid-to late 2006
4 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Birmingham Home alone - 12th December H7

What a gift and start to our December Kruger trip. My entry at Orpen Gate and I find the gorgeous Birmingham boy all alone and constantly calling for the rest of the pride. Sadly I missed the rest of the pride who made about 3 visits to Orpen area in the time we were at Satara

5 users Like Potato's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Fantastic pictures of two white subadults just outside Orpen reception last week
Credit: Hans Goosen Photography

6 users Like lionuk's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

The Birmingham Pride this morning near Orpen with the 2 white lions present.
Credit: Wildlife photographer

5 users Like lionuk's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

1/3 subadult males seen today. He looks so photogenic! 
Credit: Wildlife photographer

6 users Like lionuk's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Great shot of 1/3 subadult males, looking so stunning. 
Credit: rontgen_za 

7 users Like lionuk's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(01-18-2022, 01:23 AM)lionuk Wrote: Great shot of 1/3 subadult males, looking so stunning. 
Credit: rontgen_za 

Nice pic. How is he and the other two subadults doing?? Are they still with the Birmingham pride??
2 users Like afortich's post