There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birmingham Pride of lions

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-27-2021, 07:56 PM by Brahim )

Cool pic of White YBM
Credit: https://instagram.com/nelj213

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like Brahim's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(07-27-2021, 07:55 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: Cool pic of White YBM
Credit: https://instagram.com/nelj213

What a good sighting. He is getting bigger day by day
3 users Like T I N O's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

*This image is copyright of its original author
YBM still with the Ross males
7 users Like Tonpa's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-30-2021, 07:59 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-30-2021, 07:34 PM)Tonpa Wrote: YBM still with the Ross males

Only "logical" (althrough very unusuall) explaination for this is that they are starting to accept him in a coalition, but we would need to see if this continues. 

Otherwise there is no other reason for Ross males to tolerate almost 5 yrs old male with a pride (on kills, near females and cubs) especially as we know their history and that we know that Ross males already oust and dont tolerate young subadults gruop, who are not even 3 yrs old..

Somebody said that they might not wanna risk a serious fight with him, but i disagree, they still wouldn't be territorial males if they are affraid to fight 1 young male, and its 2 vs 1, they could easily attack him and even kill him if they want..

I guess age of Ross males age is also factor here, almost 11 yrs old, if they where few years younger situation would prob be different, as they might figure out that having another male around at this stage might be useful..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

Lion dynamics are heating up hot! The young Birmingham male born in October 2016 nearly the five years old was seen today with both Ross males and the Birmingham pride. It’s absolutely mind blowing how resilient is this young male. Only time will tell if the Ross males will accept him as a coalition member.
Screenshot from: Wildearth.TV

7 users Like T I N O's post

RookiePundit Offline

(07-30-2021, 07:57 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Only "logical" (althrough very unusuall) explaination for this is that they are starting to accept him in a coalition, but we would need to see if this continues. 

Otherwise there is no other reason for Ross males to tolerate almost 5 yrs old male with a pride (on kills, near females and cubs) especially as we know their history and that we know that Ross males already oust and dont tolerate young subadults gruop, who are not even 3 yrs old..

Somebody said that they might not wanna risk a serious fight with him, but i disagree, they still wouldn't be territorial males if they are affraid to fight 1 young male, and its 2 vs 1, they could easily attack him and even kill him if they want..

I guess age of Ross males age is also factor here, almost 11 yrs old, if they where few years younger situation would prob be different, as they might figure out that having another male around at this stage might be useful..

They have no need to fight him, if he just eats up his share on kills and is no danger for cubs as long as he doesn't compete with them for females or anyhow challenge their status (and even then it would be more of a settling of current pecking order at the time and not a takeover). That has nothing to do with defending against takeover attempts and that they can't be territorial of they fear him or whatever. They simply don't need to fight him it seems and thus taking any risk is unnecessary, if not fighting is an option, no matter how clinical and safe they could possibly be with dispatching him. By the aforementoned logic, Birmingham males are not territorial for ages as they tend not to fight unless they have to. Ofc individuals differ, some other males are drawn to fights like moths to a flame in comparison.
2 users Like RookiePundit's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(07-31-2021, 12:40 AM)RookiePundit Wrote:
(07-30-2021, 07:57 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

They have no need to fight him, if he just eats up his share on kills and is no danger for cubs as long as he doesn't compete with them for females or anyhow challenge their status (and even then it would be more of a settling of current pecking order at the time and not a takeover). That has nothing to do with defending against takeover attempts and that they can't be territorial of they fear him or whatever. They simply don't need to fight him it seems and thus taking any risk is unnecessary, if not fighting is an option, no matter how clinical and safe they could possibly be with dispatching him. By the aforementoned logic, Birmingham males are not territorial for ages as they tend not to fight unless they have to. Ofc individuals differ, some other males are drawn to fights like moths to a flame in comparison.

Let's hope the Ross males accept him as a coalition partner. Although still is really early to make any assumption, as most likely, if some day he leave his natal pride the other three sub-adults males would join with him... Would like think so
4 users Like T I N O's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-31-2021, 03:27 AM by Tr1x24 )

(07-31-2021, 12:40 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: They have no need to fight him, if he just eats up his share on kills and is no danger for cubs as long as he doesn't compete with them for females or anyhow challenge their status (and even then it would be more of a settling of current pecking order at the time and not a takeover). That has nothing to do with defending against takeover attempts and that they can't be territorial of they fear him or whatever. They simply don't need to fight him it seems and thus taking any risk is unnecessary, if not fighting is an option, no matter how clinical and safe they could possibly be with dispatching him. By the aforementoned logic, Birmingham males are not territorial for ages as they tend not to fight unless they have to. Ofc individuals differ, some other males are drawn to fights like moths to a flame in comparison.

By that logic then no males need to fight their sons (adopted sons).. But they do..

This is anomaly, its not suposed to be like this, then why did they fight him and chase him before? And why did they chased of their younger sons? 

Idk why you mentioned Bboys, they have nothing to do with this, and idk what you mean by "dont fight if they dont need to"? They where fighting and chasing multiple young males and neigbouring males from their territory only in the past year (4 N'ws, PC boys (when they first came in 2020) , 2 unknown ym's in northern Mala, Styx/NK, OM, Avocas..).but as i said, this is not about Bboys.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(07-31-2021, 02:30 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 12:40 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: They have no need to fight him, if he just eats up his share on kills and is no danger for cubs as long as he doesn't compete with them for females or anyhow challenge their status (and even then it would be more of a settling of current pecking order at the time and not a takeover). That has nothing to do with defending against takeover attempts and that they can't be territorial of they fear him or whatever. They simply don't need to fight him it seems and thus taking any risk is unnecessary, if not fighting is an option, no matter how clinical and safe they could possibly be with dispatching him. By the aforementoned logic, Birmingham males are not territorial for ages as they tend not to fight unless they have to. Ofc individuals differ, some other males are drawn to fights like moths to a flame in comparison.

By that logic then no males need to fight their sons (adopted sons).. But they do..

This is anomaly, its not suposed to be like this, then why did they fight him and chase him before? And why did they chased of their younger sons? 

Idk why you mentioned Bboys, they have nothing to do with this, and idk what you mean by "dont fight if they dont need to"? They where fighting and chasing multiple young males and neigbouring males from their territory only in the past year (4 N'ws, PC boys (when they first came in 2020) , 2 unknown ym's in northern Mala, Styx/NK, OM, Avocas..).

They also chased to the two big Kruger males
2 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-31-2021, 02:47 AM)Timbavati Wrote: They also chased to the two big Kruger males
I do not recal there was any raport of such action.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

5 users Like Potato's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

BYM joined the Birmingham white subadults gruop this morning on WildEarth , they had a kill in thickets so not all members where seen, I've seen young white female and 2 "brown" young males :

7 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

That's a good way to start the morning!
2 users Like T I N O's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

Apparently, the other day when BYM was sharing a buffalo kill with the pride and Ross Males, an elephant approached and drove the entire pride off the kill, including the Ross Males, except for BYM, he remained on the kill, alone, seemingly undeterred by the elephant trying to drive him off. His confidence must currently be off the charts.

5 users Like BA0701's post

United States Mohawk Offline

(08-01-2021, 03:02 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Apparently, the other day when BYM was sharing a buffalo kill with the pride and Ross Males, an elephant approached and drove the entire pride off the kill, including the Ross Males, except for BYM, he remained on the kill, alone, seemingly undeterred by the elephant trying to drive him off. His confidence must currently be off the charts.

It's like he's from the future and he's not afraid because he knows what's going to happen Laughing 

Jokes aside, he's becoming a living legend.  I hope things continue to go in his favor.
3 users Like Mohawk's post