There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 04:33 AM by Mapokser )

K4 sleeping now in Djuma as shown on WildEarth.

I was worried since PCM are in Arathusa but Djuma should be too far north for them to venture.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

Still in Djuma.

5 users Like T_Ferguson's post

United States Cath2020 Offline

Wouldn't it be shocking if he decides to go at it alone, without his kin?  Just like the 2 Kambula Males seem to be doing in Kruger? One of them is now seen only with the D. Maned Male they teamed up with awhile ago. I never see the brothers together in recent photos.  I hope the other one is okay and just not seen with the pair that's closer to each other, obviously. 

I don't get the feeling that the brothers, particularly K4, are all that close, but we'll see if they finally realize how much they can benefit by supporting one another in taking over prides.
2 users Like Cath2020's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 01:31 AM by Tr1x24 )

(04-27-2024, 11:42 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: Wouldn't it be shocking if he decides to go at it alone, without his kin?  Just like the 2 Kambula Males seem to be doing in Kruger? One of them is now seen only with the D. Maned Male they teamed up with awhile ago. I never see the brothers together in recent photos.  I hope the other one is okay and just not seen with the pair that's closer to each other, obviously. 

I don't get the feeling that the brothers, particularly K4, are all that close, but we'll see if they finally realize how much they can benefit by supporting one another in taking over prides

With PCMs pushing northeast again (currently all the way at EP and Arathusa) they might be interested in that area too, if thats the case, chances that K4 establish himself there alone, without support of his bros, are pretty much 0.

PCMs are at Arathusa atm, which is pretty deep in the north, K4 needs to be careful with roars.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ngonya Offline

(04-28-2024, 01:28 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: With PCMs pushing northeast again (currently all the way at EP and Arathusa) they might be interested in that area too, if thats the case, chances that K4 establish himself there alone, without support of his bros, are pretty much 0.
Lets be realistic, even with his bros the chances of the Kambulas against the PCMs are not very high.
They got the numbers but it wouldn't be the first time they ran even heavily outnumbering their opponent.

Hopefully the PCMs are only making it clear about the borders and limits of their territory as they hear roars to the north. So that the Kambulas have a chance to establish themselves
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 02:28 AM by Tr1x24 )

(04-28-2024, 02:12 AM)Ngonya Wrote: Lets be realistic, even with his bros the chances of the Kambulas against the PCMs are not very high.
They got the numbers but it wouldn't be the first time they ran even heavily outnumbering their opponent.

Well you never know with these young and big coalitions when they will "switch" and turn the tides.

Majingilanes where getting pushed around by KT/Mr.T,  even killing their member first day and next day they turned around.

Recently we saw the same case with S.Avocas vs Nkhulus, they mauled Dreadlocks, and in next few weeks got ousted.

PCMs victories so far would mean nothing moment when Kambulas "realize" they are 4 vs 2.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ngonya Offline

(04-28-2024, 02:26 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Well you never know with these young and big coalitions when they will "switch" and turn the tides.

Majingilanes where getting pushed around by KT/Mr.T,  even killing their member first day and next day they turned around.

Recently we saw the same case with S.Avocas vs Nkhulus, they mauled Dreadlocks, and in next few weeks got ousted.

PCMs victories so far would mean nothing moment when Kambulas "realize" they are 4 vs 2.
Yeah, lions as a whole are unpredictable, especially large power coalitions, such as the case of the Kambulas.

I don't know how much mating influences on the behavior of coalitions, but I'm sure it does. 
Both Nkhulus and Majingilanes had mated with females before the table turn against the smaller but dominant coalitions. 
Only one of the Kambulas seems assertive and confident enough to do any bold attempt, and as you said, alone he doesn't stand a chance. 
So I'm not sure how likely it is for the Kambula to turn around and change their attitude so suddenly, especially because the coalitions you mentioned had different behaviors than the 4 since day one.
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(04-28-2024, 03:13 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 02:26 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Well you never know with these young and big coalitions when they will "switch" and turn the tides.

Yeah, lions as a whole are unpredictable, especially large power coalitions, such as the case of the Kambulas.

I don't know how much mating influences on the behavior of coalitions, but I'm sure it does. 
Both Nkhulus and Majingilanes had mated with females before the table turn against the smaller but dominant coalitions. 
Only one of the Kambulas seems assertive and confident enough to do any bold attempt, and as you said, alone he doesn't stand a chance. 
So I'm not sure how likely it is for the Kambula to turn around and change their attitude so suddenly, especially because the coalitions you mentioned had different behaviors than the 4 since day one.
If you look at what's unique to them that is making them act in such a manner. It all leads to the sister. It's already odd that she is still with them but it's even more odd that she isn't in oestrus. She isn't trying to find males to mate with her which is what generally pulls females away from their brothers.
3 users Like Slayerd's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Sister didn't stop them from beating Nkuhuma and the 2 fully territorial BDM.

Reason why they don't take over the north or stand to Gijima and PCM is just because these duos are stronger than BDM and the Kambulas are below average in terms of psychological growth, not being interested at being territorial just yet.

Sister has nothing to do with any of what's happening.

Go131810 Offline

(04-28-2024, 02:26 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 02:12 AM)Ngonya Wrote: Lets be realistic, even with his bros the chances of the Kambulas against the PCMs are not very high.

Well you never know with these young and big coalitions when they will "switch" and turn the tides.

I understand what you are saying, but every time I read comments about the Southern Avocas and Nukhulus; there is no evidence or proof. I remember reading the Southern Avocas male lions were in another area and pride of lionesses. What you say about the Kambula male lions I think eventually can happens. I was thinking about the Nukhuma male lion he looks like he could maybe join the Kambula male lions since they have been seen eating together and male lions usually get together to be stronger when there are other male lions. The Nukhuma male lion just looks like he would be alone.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

The sister probably is just developing slower just like the brothers are. Her presence also isnt that unusual. Gingerella also left with her brothers, the Ximhungwe lioness also had a brother tag along at first and the Ridgenoses are also a mixed group at the moment.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-28-2024, 06:28 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Her presence also isnt that unusual. Gingerella also left with her brothers, the Ximhungwe lioness also had a brother tag along at first and the Ridgenoses are also a mixed group at the moment.

Neither of them was together at almost 5 yrs of age.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I am aware of that. I was just pointing that mixed groups arent that uncommon. Its just happening slower in this case.

NLAL11 Offline

(04-28-2024, 01:13 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I am aware of that. I was just pointing that mixed groups arent that uncommon. Its just happening slower in this case.

Nobody is saying it's uncommon for a mixed nomadic group of males and females. What is unusual is how long she's stayed with them.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Yes. But it was suggested that she somehow is the cause of their slow development. But as those other groups developed normally. That can be ruled out.