There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-15-2024, 03:03 AM by Tr1x24 )

(04-15-2024, 02:27 AM)Dreadlocks Wrote: Their behavior looks strange to me, They moving around like buffalo herd. Time to time REAL Lions caughts weakest of them. Kambula 4 = Buffalo herd!!

Your comment is very childish.

Lions are not failures or idk what if they are not strongest, biggest, fastest to become territorial, have most offspring, most prides etc. 

They are just doing their best to survive.

This is nature, observe and discuss it, but stop with "stereotyping" and "value ranking" these animals..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline

(04-15-2024, 02:59 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Lions are not failures or idk what if they are not strongest, biggest, fastest to become territorial, have most offspring, most prides etc. 

They are just doing their best to survive.

This is nature, observe and discuss it, but stop with "stereotyping" and "value ranking" these animals..
Thats a great point of yours indeed.

But it is seems weird and uncommon for a coalition of 4 physically strong male lions with numerical advantage and at the beginning of (or even already at) their prime but so far from becoming territorial males.

Personally i dont remember seeing such a thing. They are acting as if the only territory they are interested in is the herds of buffalo. I hope this changes soon. And it has been discussed and addressed several times that the only brother who has tried to act like a lion who wants to be territorial is K4

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-15-2024, 03:30 AM by Duco Ndona )

Keep in mind that these are living animals that just make things up as they go. The fathers don't teach their sons how to be territorial, if they are around at all. Nor do they have access to the maps and updates we have. 
Some coalitions figure things out very quick. While others never will. Genetics has very little to do with it and lions can switch behavoir multiple times during their lives. 

If the Kambulas believe there are 7 BDMs still around and a threat, they will threat the Nkuhuma pride as a no go area. Regardless of what our maps and reports tell us. 

As for K6. He seems to be ok. No damage to anything vital and if that shadow is due to the motions of his tail, his spine looks good to.
Though his position may hide some damning local damage to his hind. 

I am also worried about his mental state. He really looks stressed, even after a week. 
The confidence of that coalition wasn't all that great to begin with, so who knows how they will react to this double beating.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

I am really starting to think that the worst thing for those Kambula boys was having the sister with them. I think in some ways they've picked up the habits of her and are not so sure of what they should be doing.
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-15-2024, 11:29 AM by Tr1x24 )

(04-15-2024, 03:24 AM)Ngonya Wrote: But it is seems weird and uncommon for a coalition of 4 physically strong male lions with numerical advantage and at the beginning of (or even already at) their prime but so far from becoming territorial males.

Personally i dont remember seeing such a thing. They are acting as if the only territory they are interested in is the herds of buffalo. I hope this changes soon. And it has been discussed and addressed several times that the only brother who has tried to act like a lion who wants to be territorial is K4

As I sad, current 4 Shishaangan males become territorial at 7 yrs of age.

There is no "rule" which says that males NEED to become territorial exactly at 4-5 yrs of age.

And even then, 3 Kambulas are just 5.5 and 1 is not even 5 yrs old.

People here are acting like they are 7 yrs old lions or something.

Theres also no rule which says that four 5 yrs old lions NEED to beat any duo around, why would they? That duo also has something to say.

Theres plenty examples where lions their ages got chased by older lions even when they had numbers on their side.

Didnt 2 BDMs got chased by lone S8 at that age? 

14 yrs old HB was holding his own against 3 5yrs old Tumbelas for months.

Werent 3 Tsalalas also nomads at almost 6 yrs old? And who knows when they would become territorial if 2 didnt got killed in incident.

And thats only few recent examples in this small part of Kruger, stuff like this happen and are not as rare. 

We dont know birth dates od 99% of Kruger coalitions, so we actually dont know exactly at what age they become territorial for majority of them.

Also, some coalitions just dont become territorial, they got picked off and killed in nomadhood.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-15-2024, 01:29 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Not looking good.   He’s been here a week and he must eat soon of things can go downhill quickly.  
He looks well fed actually. Definitelly doesn't look like starving lion.
6 users Like Potato's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Capture of K5 several weeks before all hell broke loose

Grumpy "Northern Kambula" male lion #5
Londolozi Game Reserve, March 2024.A.D.
Imago: Anthony Goldman

Attached Files Image(s)

9 users Like criollo2mil's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(04-15-2024, 05:50 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Capture of K5 several weeks before all hell broke loose

Grumpy "Northern Kambula" male lion #5
Londolozi Game Reserve, March 2024.A.D.
Imago: Anthony Goldman

He resembles a lot to one of the Kambula females
3 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-15-2024, 08:16 PM by Tr1x24 )

Update from Andrea on K6 today:

*This image is copyright of its original author

He is mobile, so thats good, he should be able to recover if he can find his squad soon, if other lions/hyenas dont find him before that.

As for the rest, looks like they are still scattered all over the place.

These events might actually lure sister from them.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

(04-15-2024, 08:10 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Update from Andrea on K6 today:

*This image is copyright of its original author

He is mobile, so thats good, he should be able to recover if he can find his squad soon, if other lions/hyenas dont find him before that.

As for the rest, looks like they are still scattered all over the place.

These events might actually lure sister from them.

Thank you for the udpates... This is the only story for me right now.  I really want to see these boys get their act together.  If he's moving that should be good.
3 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Canada Robot00 Offline

(04-15-2024, 05:18 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I am really starting to think that the worst thing for those Kambula boys was having the sister with them. I think in some ways they've picked up the habits of her and are not so sure of what they should be doing.

I think you're right about this. Her fearfulness and fleeing when seeing dominant males is rubbing off on the boys. When she runs it trigger the boys to scatter as well and one gets caught.

I thinn if she wasnt with then they'd other throw someone right now.

Their fathers was same age as them when they ran down on the s.matimbas so i dont see a reason why they cannot take on any of the current duos in s.s.

The sister will be their downfall if she's still hanging around. She makes them doubt themselves
1 user Likes Robot00's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-16-2024, 01:18 AM by Duco Ndona )

I think that is putting to much blame on her. 

All lions start out fearing dominant males. Its what they are trained to do from birth as cubs and have to unlearn once they grow up. 
That the Kambula boys are still fleeing is just because they are not mature enough to stand their ground. If they were, their sister fleeing would not matter much. Lionesses are not expected to fight in conflicts like these.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

(04-16-2024, 01:17 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I think that is putting to much blame on her. 

All lions start out fearing dominant males. Its what they are trained to do from birth as cubs and have to unlearn once they grow up. 
That the Kambula boys are still fleeing is just because they are not mature enough to stand their ground. If they were, their sister fleeing would not matter much. Lionesses are not expected to fight in conflicts like these.

I can get on board with this.  I still am very curious what happens with the sister if they ever do reach that stage.  Is there any recent precedent for this?
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-16-2024, 01:38 AM by Tr1x24 )

(04-16-2024, 01:27 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I can get on board with this.  I still am very curious what happens with the sister if they ever do reach that stage.  Is there any recent precedent for this?

Closest we got are current Vuyelas, although they didnt have to fight territorial males to become territorial, they just settled in vacant area and took free pride.

Their sister got killed by that pride, maybe even some brothers helped as few males with new pride where found near the body.

But yea, I never heard of instance that coalition challenged some territorial males with their sister aside.

So yea, sister prob needs to go before that happens.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

(04-16-2024, 01:37 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-16-2024, 01:27 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I can get on board with this.  I still am very curious what happens with the sister if they ever do reach that stage.  Is there any recent precedent for this?

Closest we got are current Vuyelas, although they didnt have to fight territorial males to become territorial, they just settled in vacant area and took free pride.

Their sister got killed by that pride, maybe even some brothers helped as few males with new pride where found near the body.

But yea, I never heard of instance that coalition challenged some territorial males with their sister aside.

This has been what I figured was going to happen.  If they don't all die individually before that day.  This whole situation is sort of heartbreaking to follow.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post