There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

UPDATE ON K6:

reposting from the Wild Lions of Africa FB group to save me from retyping a summary.

Situation is. We have two injured Kambulas from seemingly two separate incidents.

First incident left K6 injured and it’s why he’s been MIA for a week.

Second incident left K5 injured from PCMs

Please note I have yet to confirm that K3 and the female have been seen and accounted for because K4 was spotted mating w Nkuhuma lioness this morning. So they’re still not all reunited.

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-14-2024, 07:11 PM by Tr1x24 )

Tough week for Kambulas, almost lost 2 members..

K5 will recover, on the other hand K6 looks to be badly injured, but if he survived a week, there is a chance he could recover, but he needs to reunite with his brothers and get some food immidiately.

They need to get out of Gijimas and PCMs reach, these 2 duos are just too good in warfare.
9 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Interesting times ahead for the Kambula males. Hope the two injured members recover fast and healthy.
3 users Like T I N O's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

These boys need to get their shit together. Not that I want them to oust the Gijimas or PC males, who have a lot of cubs to protect and are helping to rebuild several prides, but they'll never amount to anything if they keep letting themselves get scattered like this caught individually.

As others have said, their sister tagging along must be the main reason for this behaviour. And sadly I don't see a separation coming unless she gets caught and killed by other lions.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

(04-14-2024, 06:54 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Tough week for Kambulas, almost lost 2 members..

K5 will recover, on the other hand K6 looks to be badly injured, but if he survived a week, there is a chance he could recover, but he needs to reunite with his brothers and get some food immidiately.

They need to get out of Gijimas and PCMs reach, these 2 duos are just too good in warfare.

Hopefully youth and previous good health are on his side. But these boys need to start defending each other.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

@Cath2020 there's no study saying Hyenas have stronger bite force than lions, only articles spreading fake information without any source.

The hyena "super bite force" is a complete myth.

Look at an actual peer-reviewed scientific papers on bite forces like this one by Christiansen & Wroe (2007):

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author

Lion: 1314
Leopard: 621
Hyena: 567

Clans of more than 20 hyenas have failed to seriously hurt single lionesses despite attacking them for several minutes.

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-14-2024, 11:34 PM by Mapokser )

Now regarding the Kambulas, it's crazy how they lack strength that the average male would have at such age and with such numbers, but also the intelligence of their ancestors.

Birminghams were pretty smart lions, especially Nhenha who's believed to be father of most of these males ( just look at how Nhenha quickly formed a coalition with NK ), and the Kambulas' maternal grandfathers, the Majingilane, were extremely smart, always using their numbers masterfully.

However here we have these Kambulas, the North is free for the taking and has a huge pride there, but they somehow manage to leave the north at that and get in multiple clashes with PCM and Gijimas in their territories, and in a few days they almost lost 2 members to duos.

It doesn't matter how strong a duo is, a coalition of 4 males, 3/4 over 5,5, one a month shy of 5yo.

Unreal. These Kambulas should have been stronger than the 5 Nkhulu who easily defeated the Gijimas despite only 2/5 Nkhulu being healthy and not limping at the time.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-15-2024, 12:45 AM by Tr1x24 )

@Mapokser "ancestor's" success or idk their "characters" means nothing, you think that idk PCMs or Gijimas (although we dont know their ancestors) are some losers or lesser genes?

We know about Mapogos, Majingas, Birminghams etc only because they where in this areas where we can have info about them, but that doesnt mean that genes of Kruger lions, for which we have no info, are not just as strong, or even stronger.

Sabi Sands, Manyeleti, Timbavati lions and their genes are no "special" or stronger then Kruger lions. 

And even gene's are not all, if your father or grandfather for example where smartest and strongest guys around, it doesnt mean that you will be aswell. That especially applies for animals, who unlike human parents, cant teach their offspring a lot. Lions can only mimic behavior, mostly of their mothers and prides, rest they need to learn by themselves. They can very little or nothing learn from fathers, especially about territorial fights and clashes, so if their father was "great warrior", that means absolutley nothing.

As for age, 4 Shishaangan males (Casper and bros) become territorial only at ~7 yrs of age, despite also being 4, even 5 males at the beginning. Although a bit rarer, as we have coalitions who become territorial fairly early, we also have who become fairly late (if they dont get killed in meantime), depending on many factors (their maturing proccess, life experiences, confidence, teamplay, lion dynamics in the area etc.)

Also, Gijimas never lost to Nkhulus, 1 chase where Gijimas entered Nkhulus territory and found them means nothing, even then, report was that there was chasing back and forth, despite Gijimas being outnumbered 2 to 5, and Nkhulus where territorial already.

Eventually Gijimas returned back to their territory and Nkhulus stayed at their. Chases where nothing is gain/lost, and no blood spilled, I dont count as victory/defeat, to me thats a draw.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(04-14-2024, 11:31 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Now regarding the Kambulas, it's crazy how they lack strength that the average male would have at such age and with such numbers, but also the intelligence of their ancestors.

Birminghams were pretty smart lions, especially Nhenha who's believed to be father of most of these males ( just look at how Nhenha quickly formed a coalition with NK ), and the Kambulas' maternal grandfathers, the Majingilane, were extremely smart, always using their numbers masterfully.

However here we have these Kambulas, the North is free for the taking and has a huge pride there, but they somehow manage to leave the north at that and get in multiple clashes with PCM and Gijimas in their territories, and in a few days they almost lost 2 members to duos.

It doesn't matter how strong a duo is, a coalition of 4 males, 3/4 over 5,5, one a month shy of 5yo.

Unreal. These Kambulas should have been stronger than the 5 Nkhulu who easily defeated the Gijimas despite only 2/5 Nkhulu being healthy and not limping at the time.

I've questioned if the issue isn't the males, but the lone Female.  Is she actually the defacto leader of this group and because she runs, a couple of them follow her, and then suddenly they are all running.  It's an odd dynamic with her hanging around them for so long.  They go off and mate, and I've seen video where they actually try to go at her, and she shrugs them off pretty easily.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-15-2024, 12:53 AM by Tr1x24 )

(04-15-2024, 12:40 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I've questioned if the issue isn't the males, but the lone Female.  Is she actually the defacto leader of this group and because she runs, a couple of them follow her, and then suddenly they are all running.  It's an odd dynamic with her hanging around them for so long.  They go off and mate, and I've seen video where they actually try to go at her, and she shrugs them off pretty easily.

Yea, we speculated that, I think its definetly a factor, but we cant know how big of a factor.

Its hard to know what is actually going on as we dont have any footage of the action.

Maybe Kambulas are trying to fight, we dont know.

If they all immidiately run, I doubt they cant outrun them, unless they ambush them from very close range.

But very strange that 2 males got caught in span of days, if they are actually running immidiately.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

@Tr1x24 I never said Gijimas or PCM have "lesser" genes or their ancestors were losers, I never even came close to imply any of that...

Gijimas and PCM don't even need to rely on speculation about their success involving how their ancestors did, they have proved themselves how competent they are, but they are only 2, Kambulas are 4.

What I'm saying is that usually lions inherit characteristics from their ancestors. For example the Kambula mothers are very aggressive because their own mothers were/are very aggressive. They inherited that trait.

Kambula male's ancestors are all either smart, strong or both, but the Kambulas turned out to be very below average in both department which is surprising. Their brothers are only 2 and perhaps will reach 1 year as dominants before their brothers of the same age take a territory.

If Shishangaan only became dominant at 7 it just shows how they are also very below average, or maybe they were in a tougher area. Kambulas have literally a free territory and pride right now.

Some people claimed there was back and forth chasing between Gijima and Nkhulu but there was no confirmation from any guides.

You may not not consider a chase a loss, but it factually is. Of course it was 5v2 so one can hardly "blame" the Gijimas for it.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-15-2024, 01:36 AM by criollo2mil )

Can you good ID guys confirm this is K6?

Andrea is calling him the missing Kambula but could this be injured K5?

Not looking good.   He’s been here a week and he must eat soon of things can go downhill quickly.  

Attached Files Image(s)

5 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-15-2024, 01:41 AM by Tr1x24 )

(04-15-2024, 01:29 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Can you good ID guys confirm this is K6?

Yes, its K6.

Idk, from what we see, it doesnt look too bad, but obiviously we dont see damage on back legs or other side.

Its a week ago, so he will not bleed out anymore, he would already if thats the problem.

Not sure of state of his spine, is he mobile or not.

Poor boy is frightened as hell, even by vechicles.

Any more info by Andrea?
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Friarfan619 Online

She never really responds ime. Usually says view from my office but I also haven't followed her for long

Georgia Dreadlocks Offline

Their behavior looks strange to me, They moving around like buffalo herd. Time to time REAL Lions caughts weakest of them. Kambula 4 = Buffalo herd!!