There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Birds of Prey

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

The harpy eagle has to be my favourite bird of prey

Here is a captive one showing he means business

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like Sully's post

Ecology & Rewilding

Absolutely amazing, not only getting to see tigers, but this as well!

Incredible moment Golden Eagle swoops down to catch a deer in its talons caught on camera
  • 15:27, 24 Sep 2013
  • Updated 16:58, 24 Sep 2013
  • By Sam Adams
The shots, taken in the snowy wastes of a nature reserve in Russia, were captured by a camera trap set up to monitor Amur Tigers
  • Shares

VIEW GALLERY  

These stunning photos show the moment a golden eagle swoops down to grab a Sika deer in the snowy wastes of Russia.
The shots, taken at a nature reserve in Lazovsky District, were captured by a camera trap.
ADVERTISING

The device was set up by Linda Kerley from the Zoological Society of London and her colleagues to monitor Siberian (also known as Amur) tigers in the area.

ZSL / Barcroft Media

Golden Eagles are known to many different types of prey  
This is the first documented case of such an attack, although golden eagles are known as fearsome predators.
Golden Eagles maintain home ranges or territories that may be as large as 200km.
Due to its hunting prowess, the bird is regarded with great reverence in some tribal cultures.
Golden Eagles are opportunist hunters and will attack nearly any reasonably sized animal when hunting.

If you guys want to see the full gallery

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dra...ps-2297378
6 users Like Sully's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 01-17-2016, 12:48 AM by sanjay )

A stunning image by Gagandeep Matharoo. In this image Changeable hawk eagle devouring a shikra
hawk eagle killed a shikra

Changeable hawk eagle with a fawn kill, Image by Anish Shah
Changeable hawk eagle with a fawn kill
6 users Like sanjay's post

Ecology & Rewilding

Steller's at Sun-rise.
Japan still rates as one of my best wildlife destinations...!
Juts so many opportunities.. this place is nuts....!

5 users Like Sully's post

Ecology & Rewilding

This week I share some images of this formidable eagle. They are huge and they are just amazing to photograph.
We spend 4 days on our Japan safari just working the eagles off the Shiretoko Peninsula.
I still rate this as my best birding experience ever.
(A close second are the BirdCliffs of Svalbard)

On the Hunt

Talons Locked..!

Into sunset

5 users Like Sully's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Renata Ewald.

Fish Eagle.

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Between my trips to Africa and India, I was only able to get a shot of one Vulture. I saw a few in India and a couple in Africa but they were so far off I was unable to snap them with my modest lens.

This is the only shot I could get, it was soon harassed by a crow and flew off.

Being Harassed

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Greatearth Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 07-21-2017, 10:08 AM by Greatearth )

I wanna show you amazing thing. I am Korean and I know some amazing place you could see bird of prey.

I just copied and pasted bird of prey in Korea from Wikipedia because it takes too much time to write.

1. Oriental honey-buzzard, Pernis ptilorhynchus
  2. Black-eared kite, Milvus migrans
  3. White-tailed eagle, Haliaeetus albicilla
  4. Steller's sea-eagle, Haliaeetus pelagicus
  5. Bearded vulture, Gypaetus barbatus
  6. Cinereous vulture, Aegypius monachus
  7. Eastern marsh-harrier, Circus spilonotus
  8. Northern harrier, Circus cyaneus
  9. Pied harrier, Circus melanoleucos
  10. Japanese sparrowhawk, Accipiter gularis
  11. Eurasian sparrowhawk, Accipiter nisus
  12. Northern goshawk, Accipiter gentilis
  13. Chinese goshawk, Accipiter soloensis
  14. Grey-faced buzzard, Butastur indicus
  15. Common buzzard, Buteo buteo
  16. Upland buzzard, Buteo hemilasius
  17. Rough-legged hawk, Buteo lagopus
  18. Greater spotted eagle, Clanga clanga
  19. Steppe eagle, Aquila nipalensis
  20. Eastern imperial eagle, Aquila heliaca
  21. Golden eagle, Aquila chrysaetos
  22. Mountain hawk-eagle, Nisaetus nipalensis
  23. Crested serpent eagle, Spilornis cheela
  24. Blakiston's fish owl, Bubo blakistoni
  25. Eurasian scops-owl, Otus scops
  26. Sunda scops-owl, Otus lempiji
  27. Eurasian eagle owl, Bubo bubo
  28. Snowy owl, Nyctea scandiaca
  29. Himalayan owl, Strix nivicolum
  30. Ural owl, Strix uralensis
  31. Northern hawk owl, Surnia ulula
  32. Little owl, Athene noctua
  33. Northern boobook, Ninox japonica
  34. Long-eared owl, Asio otus
  35. Short-eared owl, Asio flammeus
  36. Peregrine falcon, Falco peregrinus
  37. Eurasian hobby, Falco subbuteo
  38. Common kestrel, Falco tinnunculus
  39. Amur falcon, Falco amurensis
  40. Merlin, Falco columbarius
  41. Saker falcon, Falco cherrug

The top largest, most powerful, and most famous bird of preys: Cinereous vulture, Bearded vulture, Steller's sea eagle, White tailed eagle, Golden eagle, Blakiston's fish owl, and Eurasian eagle owl.
All of those birds are winter migratory birds these days beside Eurasian eagle owl and Blakiston's fish owl. Blakiston's fish owl also living in northern part of Korean peninsula. 
I will explain "these days" with explain the birds.

Golden eagle (Aquila chrysaetos)
The golden eagle is the most well known bird of prey in the northern hemisphere. Golden eagle in Asia is bigger than Golden eagle in Europe, North America, Africa, West Asia. Especially the area from Kamchatka, Siberia, Mongolia, Central Asia, and Northern China.
I am not sure of golden eagle in Korea. Some says it is subspecies of the smallest golden eagle in Japan. But I think this is wrong information since they are winter migratory birds from northern Asia.

I can't find better map of golden eagle. It says dark brown is resident all year and light brown is for winter. But this isn't 100% accurate map, because they are migratory bird in Korea

White tailed eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla)
The white tailed eagle is very common fish eating eagle in Eurasia. The white tailed eagle forms a species pair with the North American bald eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus). I don't really know size of white tailed eagle coming in Korea. I think white tailed eagle in Greenland, Scandinavian, and northernmost Asia near North Pole are the biggest. The biggest White tailed eagle was from Greenland.

It says light green is nesting range, blue is wintering range, and dark green is resident all year.
Just like Golden eagle, I am sure this isn't accurate range map.

Steller's Sea eagle (Haliaeetus pelagicus)
Golden eagle, Bald eagle, and White tailed eagle are roughly equal size. The larger Steller's sea eagle is also live in Korea, but they are coming down Korea in winter since 1950s.
100 years ago was a lot different, because I read BBC news of Steller's sea eagle was actually stayed all year in Korea 100 years ago.
There was very interesting story of Steller's sea eagle in Korea. The Korea once had a black color Steller's sea eagle resident all year in Korea, Haliaeetus pelagicus niger. It was last seen in 1968 and thought to be extinct. However, there was a news in 2001. Both "normal" Steller's sea eagle hatched a black color steller's sea eagle. 
Haliaeetus pelagicus niger was probably polymorphism in steller's sea eagle when they weren't endangered and resident all year in far south Korea.

It is this news of black steller's sea eagle
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_new...036698.stm

This is map of Steller's sea eagle since 1970s.
Green is resident all year, blue is winter range, orange is breeding only, and light purple is other extend range can be discovered.

Eurasian eagle-owl (Bubo bubo)
The eurasian eagle-owl is consider as one of the largest and one of most powerful owl in the world. They are common in northern hemisphere. 

Blakiston's fish owl (Bubo blakistoni)
The blakiston's fish owl is the definitely the largest owl in the world. But they aren't really powerful as eagle owl in Eurasia, Verreaux's eagle owl in Africa, Great horned owl in Americas. They are very rare bird.

Cinereous vulture (Aegypius monachus)
The Vulture is larger than any other bird of prey like eagle, hawk, buzzard, owl, kite, falcon, and kestrel. The biggest bird of prey is Andean condor, but they aren't actually the same family of "bird of prey." I think New world vulture is still considering as "bird of prey" word anyway since they are eating meat just like old world vulture, eagle, and other bird of prey.
Still, cinereous vulture is considering as the largest true bird of prey and the biggest bird of prey in old world along with Himalayan griffon vulture (Gyps himalayensis). I also know cinereous vulture body size is also increases from west to east. Cinereous vulture in Asia is way bigger than cinereous vulture in Europe or middle east just like golden eagle.  The largest size of this bird is discovering in East Asia and central Asia like in Manchuria, Korea, Siberia, Mongolia and northern China.

The cinereous vulture is coming Korea during winter. People give them food since it is difficult to find carcass in Korea.

Bearded vulture (Gypaetus barbatus)
The lammergeier or bearded vulture is the only living bird species that specializes in feeding on marrow. Range map is showing they aren't living in Korea, but they discovered in Korea before 20th century. The last time the bearded vulture was discovered in Korea was 1918 from record. However, bearded vulture discovered in Korea in 2013 along with cinereous vulture as winter migratory bird. Bearded vulture in Asia is also bigger than bearded vulture in Europe, Africa, and Middle East. The bearded vulture in Himalaya, Karakoram, Kunlun Mountains, and Tibet are the larger than those from other mountain ranges.

The golden eagle and White tailed eagle can be found everywhere in northern hemisphere while larger Steller's sea eagle is only discovering in Northeast Asia. 

Hokkaido island in japan has a really wonderful place to see many steller's sea eagle and white tailed eagle are resting and hunting on iceberg in winter. The blakiston's fish owl is also frequently discovering in these area as well. I am not sure of golden eagle, but larger vultures aren't flying far east in Japan. If you go to north east Asia like Korea, Russia, and northern china. You can see eagles and vultures are searching and gathering foods together. It is very amazing to see them.
I don't know there's any places you can observe birds easily in Russia and China. But I know several places you can see wild birds really well. People also provide foods for vultures. I am posting photos from there.

These are some amazing photos of eagles and vultures I collected from Korean photographers in Korean website since 2010.
More than 60% of birds are young or immature birds are flying to Korea along with adult one.

Stellers sea eagle and white tailed eagle in upstream of Han river, Korea.

This 1 photo is from hokkaido. The size difference of white tailed eagle and red fox.

White tailed eagle adn steller's sea eagle are battling each other for an Eurasian teal in Han river, South Korea.

Now, big daddy cinereous vulture along with smaller stellers sea eagle, white tailed eagle, and golden eagle. Majority of these photos are from Chorwon, is a county in Gangwon Province, South Korea. Chorwon is one of the best place to see the cinereous vulture in winter.

Specimen of eurasian eagle owl, white tailed eagle, and cinereous vulture in Seodaemun Museum of Natural History

At last, the photo of rare bearded vulture in Goseong and Goseong Unification Observatory in Korea. This photos from 2013. I wish wildlife and animals can recover just like 200 hundred years ago. 

3 users Like Greatearth's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Black Vulture vs Golden Eagle

Stellar vs Golden

The big Black Vulture

White Tailed Eagle and Stellar

Stellar w/handler, another big bird of prey

4 users Like Pckts's post

Greatearth Offline
Banned

(07-19-2017, 09:48 PM)Pckts Wrote: Black Vulture vs Golden Eagle

Stellar vs Golden

The big Black Vulture

White Tailed Eagle and Stellar

Stellar w/handler, another big bird of prey

This bird is not black vulture . This bird is the Andean condor, the largest "bird of the prey."

If you look its head and wing shape. It's definitely not old world vulture. When I was working in zoo, andean condor cage was between the harpy eagle and steller's sea eagle cage. The male Andean condor was like much bigger than both steller's sea eagle and harpy eagle. More than much, I have to say condor was like triple times bigger than eagles.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/1d/1e/4e/1d1e4e36303b71082f94e74b5286ec58.jpg
https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-9e474a25b9f70844caf8ed6b709bc08a-c
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/8e/23/52/8e235204b1eb79267c6a3b5de211ae36.jpg

'Lesley', a juvenile Andean Condor, lands on a platform held by Taronga Zoo animal presentation Unit Supervisor Matthew Kettle during flying lessons February 28, 2006 in Sydney, Australia. The young Andean Condor, which is the world's largest bird of prey species, is being trained to perform in the Zoo's free flight bird show.

Look at the massive wings of a juvenile female andean condor. It is easy to see the size of the male andean condor since male is larger than female. 
I think Andean condor is about the same size as the prehistoric woodward's eagle and extinct haast eagle

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Condors-can-fly-forever-but-they-re-still-in-2522157.php
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/lesley-a-juvenile-andean-condor-lands-on-a-platform-held-by-taronga-picture-id56951782
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/lesley-a-juvenile-andean-condor-lands-on-a-platform-held-by-taronga-picture-id56982460
4 users Like Greatearth's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-20-2017, 07:12 AM)Greatearth Wrote: I think people in wildfact are only interested in big cat, especially the tiger. I don't really see any good discusion about other animals beisde tiger. 
It's pity that people don't want to speak about other animals

We need more good posters like yourself who have interesting facts and stories to post to help intrigue others. Regardless of anything else, I'm interested in learning more about them.
2 users Like Pckts's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Very nice images, world of birds are so amazing, no wonder why many photographers are birder only
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Greatearth Offline
Banned

(07-20-2017, 07:21 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(07-20-2017, 07:12 AM)Greatearth Wrote: I think people in wildfact are only interested in big cat, especially the tiger. I don't really see any good discusion about other animals beisde tiger. 
It's pity that people don't want to speak about other animals

We need more good posters like yourself who have interesting facts and stories to post to help intrigue others. Regardless of anything else, I'm interested in learning more about them.

Nice to hear that. My most favorite one is the big cat. However, I am also interested in many other animals, geology, nature, and astronomy as well.

Just wondered.. Have anyone thought about why does vultures are bigger than other bird of preys like eagle, hawk, buzzard, owl, falcon, kite, and kestrel? They are just carrion eating bird. I don't know carrion eating animal could grow bigger than active hunting animal.
I don't have a photo of condors. The Andean condor is the largest bird of prey today. The california condor, cinereous vulture, and himalayan griffon vulture are about the similar size beside himalayan griffon vulture is lighter in average weigh and california condor is a littler shorter in maximum wingspan. The bearded vulture is smaller than andean condor, california condor, cinereous vulture, and himalayan griffon vulture. They are still bigger than eagles and other birds like hawk and owl.

I can't understand why does vulture grows so huge more than eagle. Anyone have idea to share?? I heard because they can eat carrion a lot for a short time. But it means they have to suffer long time if they can't find any carcass. The eagle can hunt their prey anytime and they also eat carrion too.

Size comparison photos of vulture and eagle. Other bird of prey like hawk, owl, buzzard, falcon, kestrel, and kite are no near size of large vulture and eagle. 
These photo is from rescue and research centers in Korea. 

The cinereous vulture and white tailed eagle

http://blog.daum.net/bosar/13433574
http://cnwarc.blogspot.com/2012/01/wing-tag.html

The eurasian eagle owl and cinereous vulture. Eurasian eagle owl is bigger than American great horned owl in museum in Korea

http://www.ohmynews.com/NWS_Web/View/at_...0001306781
https://www.kookje.co.kr/news2011/asp/ne...2014201816

Male Eurasian eagle owl and female great horned owl

The cinereous vulture, steller's sea eagle, and white tailed eagle

http://news.joins.com/article/10351429

Male cinereous vulture and female steller's sea eagle

Specimen of cinereous vulture, white tailed eagle, and eurasian eagle owl. 

The golden eagle and bearded vulture in Leukerbad Municipality in Switzerland

http://gemmi.ch/infos/animals/?L=2

I don't know where are these photos are came from beside a few.
the cinereous vulture and maybe tawny eagle or steppe eagle from Udaipur, Udaipur District, Rajasthan, India

http://www.hbw.com/ibc/photo/cinereous-v...ture-eagle

the cinereous vulture, himalayan griffon vulture, and egyptian vulture (smallest one) in Jodbeed, near Bikaner, Rajasthan, India

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php...e_ID=68511

The himalayan griffon vultures and cinereous vulture. 

http://www.thaibirding.com/news/vultures.htm

These are from Mongolia or Tibet

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jargals004/28687834520

Mongolia 2009

http://www.hbw.com/ibc/photo/himalayan-g...ltures-and

Cinereous vulture (Aegypius monachus) and Himalayan griffon (Gyps himalayensis) with stupas in the background, Napahai Lake, Zhongdian County, Yunnan Province, China. January.

https://www.mindenpictures.com/search/pr...10690.html

The himalayan griffon vulture, bearded vulture, and golden eagle from Tibet, China

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
3 users Like Greatearth's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Can you name this bird of prey?
Bird of prey with rabbit kill
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-14-2017, 02:35 AM by Pckts )

(08-13-2017, 08:08 PM)sanjay Wrote: Can you name this bird of prey?

Kori bustard? The largest flying bird on Africa.
1 user Likes Pckts's post