There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Big cat and Bear tale

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(03-11-2020, 09:03 AM)Rishi Wrote: How overconfidently aloof can a species be that we have half a dozen footages of tigers creeping within inches of them (Ranth youngsters all @GuateGojira).

Some adult tigers had been challenged by sloth bears and retrated too. Check the case of male tiger "Ustad" and his mate in Ranthambore and the latest video of a very aggressive female sloth bear fighting back that adult tiger in Tadoba.

By the way, it is interesting to see that when we see the size of a male Bengal tiger (Average 210 kg; 150 - 272 kg) with that of a female sloth bear (Average of 97.3 kg; range 45 - 130 kg), and when we see the video, we can see that the bear looks very large or the male tiger is small, probably no more than 180 kg at the most.

*This image is copyright of its original author

The tiger looks fat but short and the female somewhat big but hairy. Maybe is just the perspective, who knows, I don't know the details of those two specimens.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Fateh was a Sloth Bear killer in Ranth.

2 users Like Pckts's post

Russian Federation Diamir2 Offline

bears avoid tigers, the opposite is not true

Bigcat Enthusiast

(03-11-2020, 11:56 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 09:03 AM)Rishi Wrote: How overconfidently aloof can a species be that we have half a dozen footages of tigers creeping within inches of them (Ranth youngsters all @GuateGojira).

Some adult tigers had been challenged by sloth bears and retrated too. Check the case of male tiger "Ustad" and his mate in Ranthambore and the latest video of a very aggressive female sloth bear fighting back that adult tiger in Tadoba.

By the way, it is interesting to see that when we see the size of a male Bengal tiger (Average 210 kg; 150 - 272 kg) with that of a female sloth bear (Average of 97.3 kg; range 45 - 130 kg), and when we see the video, we can see that the bear looks very large or the male tiger is small, probably no more than 180 kg at the most.

The tiger looks fat but short and the female somewhat big but hairy. Maybe is just the perspective, who knows, I don't know the details of those two specimens.
Matkasur isn't a large Tiger but he's significantly larger than that Bear. A side note, I'd still say Matkasur is in the 200kg range, assuming he's similar to his dad but with a bulkier frame. 
But I saw a Male Sloth Bear in Taboba that was massive, Sloth Bear size is underestimated IMO.

(03-11-2020, 11:56 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:

"The only thing that saves the bear is the hair on the body, because tiger doesn't get a grip," Dr Andheria explains.

Expert & Researcher

(03-11-2020, 11:55 PM)Diamir2 Wrote: "I have found evidences of active avoidance of tigers by sloth bears and relatively frequent vigilance behaviour in bears (personal  observations) in Panna NP."
"Sloth bears actively avoided tigers and humans when they became aware of their presence in advance. When they heard suspicious sounds made by humans, tigers, or even alarms raised by other animals such as sambar (Cervus unicolor) or common langur (Trachypithecus entellus) to the presence of predators or humans, the bears became vigilant.They paused their activity and waited for further sounds or scents, looked in the direction of the sound, or exhibited such vigilant behaviour.
When the bears sensed the presence of adversaries, they stopped their activity, moved in a different direction or even took shelter under secure cover. Sometimes,they did not emerge out of dens until long after their usual times of start of activity.
Occasionally they also fled on sensing a threat, or at other times,they rushed towards the tiger or the human. Similar reactions were also observed in Chitwan NP, Nepal. At close quarters, sloth bears reacted to humans and tigers similarly, often by roaring and running away, or roaring and attacking before retreating (Laurie and Seidensticker 1977)"                                                              
 K.Yoganand, 2005, “Behavioural Ecology of Sloth Bear (Melursus ursinus) In Panna National Park, Central India”, thesis PhD, Saurashtra University

Yes, I know that study and I appreciate that you post it, as you can see in my original post I stated that tigers do prey on bears in Panna, that is why bears in the area are more nervous from tigers.

Dr Chundawat reports a very unusual behaviour of the tigers in Panna, he says that tigers eat the sloth bear dropps! Check this:

2 users Like GuateGojira's post

( This post was last modified: 03-12-2020, 07:16 AM by Rishi )

This tigress (and her two cubs) in Panna fed on this sloth bear kill for four days.Photo by K.Yoganand.
1 user Likes Diamir2's post

Expert & Researcher

(03-11-2020, 11:57 PM)Pckts Wrote: Fateh was a Sloth Bear killer in Ranth.

Interesting, that means that the observations of the late Mr Fateh needs to be updated.

Expert & Researcher

(03-12-2020, 12:07 AM)Diamir2 Wrote:

This tigress (and her two cubs) in Panna fed on this sloth bear kill for four days.Photo by K.Yoganand 

Check post 397 please.

Expert & Researcher

(03-12-2020, 12:00 AM)Pckts Wrote: Matkasur isn't a large Tiger but he's significantly larger than that Bear. A side note, I'd still say Matkasur is in the 200kg range, assuming he's similar to his dad but with a bulkier frame. 
But I saw a Male Sloth Bear in Taboba that was massive, Sloth Bear size is underestimated IMO.

Huge sloth bears were found in the past, so I see no reason to see big bears in these days.

Yes, the tiger looks massive although shorter. Maybe the double the size of the female bear or a little more. Even then, a bigger (and more decided) tiger will make a shorter work, even for such a defensive female.

( This post was last modified: 03-12-2020, 10:42 AM by Rishi )

(03-12-2020, 12:06 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 11:55 PM)Diamir2 Wrote: "I have found evidences of active avoidance of tigers by sloth bears and relatively frequent vigilance behaviour in bears (personal  observations) in Panna NP."
"Sloth bears actively avoided tigers and humans when they became aware of their presence in advance. When they heard suspicious sounds made by humans, tigers, or even alarms raised by other animals such as sambar (Cervus unicolor) or common langur (Trachypithecus entellus) to the presence of predators or humans, the bears became vigilant.They paused their activity and waited for further sounds or scents, looked in the direction of the sound, or exhibited such vigilant behaviour.
When the bears sensed the presence of adversaries, they stopped their activity, moved in a different direction or even took shelter under secure cover. Sometimes,they did not emerge out of dens until long after their usual times of start of activity.
Occasionally they also fled on sensing a threat, or at other times,they rushed towards the tiger or the human. Similar reactions were also observed in Chitwan NP, Nepal. At close quarters, sloth bears reacted to humans and tigers similarly, often by roaring and running away, or roaring and attacking before retreating (Laurie and Seidensticker 1977)"                                                              
 K.Yoganand, 2005, “Behavioural Ecology of Sloth Bear (Melursus ursinus) In Panna National Park, Central India”, thesis PhD, Saurashtra University

Yes, I know that study and I appreciate that you post it, as you can see in my original post I stated that tigers do prey on bears in Panna, that is why bears in the area are more nervous from tigers.

Dr Chundawat reports a very unusual behaviour of the tigers in Panna, he says that tigers eat the sloth bear dropps! Check this:

Occasionally they also fled on sensing a threat, at other times, they rushed towards the tiger or human. Similar reactions were also observed in Chitwan NP, Nepal. At close quarters, sloth bears reacted to humans and tigers similarly, often by roaring and running away, or roaring and attacking before retreating (Laurie and Seidensticker 1977)"                                                          

1 user Likes Diamir2's post

(03-12-2020, 12:15 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 12:00 AM)Pckts Wrote: Matkasur isn't a large Tiger but he's significantly larger than that Bear. A side note, I'd still say Matkasur is in the 200kg range, assuming he's similar to his dad but with a bulkier frame. 

Huge sloth bears were found in the past, so I see no reason to see big bears in these days.

Yes, the tiger looks massive although shorter. Maybe the double the size of the female bear or a little more. Even then, a bigger (and more decided) tiger will make a shorter work, even for such a defensive female.

"The only thing that saves the bear is the hair on the body, because tiger doesn't get a grip," Dr Andheria explains.

Expert & Researcher

(03-12-2020, 12:15 AM)Diamir2 Wrote: When the bears sensed the presence of adversaries, they stopped their activity, moved in a different direction or even took shelter under secure cover. Sometimes,they did not emerge out of dens until long after their usual times of start of activity.

Check post 390, please read the images, all of them.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(03-12-2020, 12:15 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:

It could be an individual basis, Waghdoh in Tadoba is a known Sloth Bear killer while Matkasur seemed have trouble delivering the death blow to the Sloth bear.
But who knows for sure, it's not like the Sloth Bear didn't suffer quite a few injuries and to my knowledge neither she nor her nearly full grown cub were seen again after that incident.
But that can also have to do with the rarity of seeing a sloth bear in comparison to a tiger.
2 users Like Pckts's post

(03-12-2020, 12:20 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 12:15 AM)Diamir2 Wrote: When the bears sensed the presence of adversaries, they stopped their activity, moved in a different direction or even took shelter under secure cover. Sometimes,they did not emerge out of dens until long after their usual times of start of activity.

Check post 390, please read the images, all of them.

So what?