There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

WildLeonis Away

Interesting travels by the S.Avocas. They traveled about 30 miles from their territory that’s quite a distance. I guess time will tell if they decide to try their luck in new territory or return to the old. They still look to be in fantastic condition, but holding off bigger and younger coalitions who are encroaching on their territory will continue to be difficult, maybe even impossible. Hope they don’t run into any trouble during their explorations and remain safe.
1 user Likes WildLeonis's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

I feel like after the somewhat deciding move with the beating of Dreadlocks and scattering the Nkhulu's, they should be sticking to their guns. In that clip, the Avoca in the back was scent marking so they definitely aren't tuck-tail in completely unfamiliar territory. They weren't seen at Kirkman's regularly anyway so this probably isn't as far out of their territory as it might seem. They'll definitely be back.
3 users Like sik94's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

They'll be regretting not having finished off DeLaporte which would have made their job slightly easier.

My guess is that they're nomads now, even if they return it'll be a Tumbela/Mohawk scenario where they won't act fully territorial anymore.

Speaking of nomadhood, considering how these Avocas travel a lot, imagine if they return to northern Sabi Sand and meet up with nomadic Mohawk, that'd be crazy, though there's no way they'd know each other.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(07-10-2023, 06:28 AM)Mapokser Wrote: imagine if they return to northern Sabi Sand and meet up with nomadic Mohawk, that'd be crazy, though there's no way they'd know each other.

Same thought went through my head. Haha.
3 users Like sik94's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

N.Avoca male [Mohawk] seen by Darryn Gates at Elephant Plains Game Lodge
Mohawk still has it in him! Showing massive confidence and speed this 10 year old looked as if he was still in his prime. He has been vocalising all night after seeing him all afternoon yesterday! Such a cool cat!
" target="_blank" class="post_link">
10 users Like T I N O's post

1999gc8 Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-10-2023, 12:36 PM by 1999gc8 )

A lot of footage of male lions is walking slow during a patrol or resting but when you see a big male like Mohawk running fast it looks so impressive and powerful.

Mohawk is in great shape as well.
2 users Like 1999gc8's post

1999gc8 Offline

(11-18-2022, 09:33 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(11-18-2022, 08:39 AM)1999gc8 Wrote: Poor guy he's always doing it tough with his leg injury although recently there was times where he looked like he was walking ok.

I felt so sorry for him just lying there being smashed and all he could do at the end was put one paw onto the face of the buffalo.

The footage reminds me of clip of John Varty showing Pretty Boy Mapogo being absolutely smashed to pieces by multiple buffalo.

Thankfully Dark Mane wasn't attacked as bad with some hope he can recover from it. His condition appears to have deteriorated lately so I pray he can recover from this injuries from the attack.

I don't wish to go OT, but if you could share the video you mention in the Mapogo thread, that'd be great. I haven't seen a video of PB being attacked by buffalo. I'll link the thread right here, thanks my friend!

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-the-mig...s?page=167

After all this time I stumbled across the clip that had the footage of Pretty Boy being attacked by Buffalo and was almost killed. I've added this to the Mapogo thread for you :)

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-the-mig...#pid191927
2 users Like 1999gc8's post

239Pu Offline

now we know which Southern Avoca is dominant, at least on this day
5 users Like 239Pu's post

United States afortich Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-15-2023, 04:25 AM by afortich )

Nice tribute to king Dark Mane

9 users Like afortich's post

Friarfan619 Offline

Does it have footage of him being killed??? Still haven't been able to watch any because I assumed they have that in it.

1999gc8 Offline

(07-15-2023, 07:40 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Does it have footage of him being killed??? Still haven't been able to watch any because I assumed they have that in it.

There's no footage of DM being killed and you'll enjoy the tribute to him.
3 users Like 1999gc8's post

Mwk85 Offline

Mohawk. From a couple of days ago.

6 users Like Mwk85's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The Avoca North male lion strolling by with his eyes fixated on a herd of buffalo herd.

*This image is copyright of its original author
9 users Like Potato's post

Mwk85 Offline

Mohawk with a kill all to himself 

8 users Like Mwk85's post

United States afortich Online
Contributor

King Mohawk on its own

8 users Like afortich's post