There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

United States criollo2mil Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-28-2023, 07:17 AM by criollo2mil )

Mohawk sharing a kill w the Blonde Talamati YM

Credit:  MrT Tracker

Attached Files Image(s)

9 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

Did they hunt this together or is it a scavenged carcass?
2 users Like GhostCatP-22's post

United States criollo2mil Online
Contributor

(05-28-2023, 07:15 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: Did they hunt this together or is it a scavenged carcass?

Hunted according to MrT
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

9 users Like afortich's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(06-02-2023, 02:51 AM)afortich Wrote:

Just saw this OMG dreadlocks
3 users Like Ttimemarti's post

1999gc8 Offline

(06-02-2023, 03:22 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote:

Hopefully it's not fatal as suggested at the start of the video.
2 users Like 1999gc8's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-02-2023, 05:19 AM by T_Ferguson )

(06-02-2023, 04:45 AM)1999gc8 Wrote:
(06-02-2023, 03:22 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote:

Hopefully it's not fatal as suggested at the start of the video.

I hope so too, but based on what's being talked about by people that were there or have seen the damage in person to Dreadlocks, it's unlikely he survives it. You can see in this video that he has pretty good damage to his hind legs or spine the way he is moving, and you can clearly see it appears they had his underbelly as well. Anything is possible of course with these animals, but it's not looking good.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-02-2023, 07:42 AM by Mapokser )

I feel sorry for the DeLaporte male watching this video, though I think it's a bit soon to assume he died, the guest might have just assumed he died, there's a photo of him alive and away from Avocas after all.

Still, impressive feat by the Avocas. When these guys first arrived in SS they were wreaking havoc despite their young age but after defeating Tsalalas and becoming dominant it seemed they lived a mostly peaceful life ( for what I know about them ), however many years later when push comes to shove they chased 6 Nkhulus away and weeks later they attacked 5 of them, scattering the younger males, badly injuring DeLaporte male and reminding us they are one of the strongest duos out there and maybe even one of the strongest ever, simply incredible.

And not only that but as 10yo males they are a bit out of their prime and lost a bit of mass but my goodness they still look amazing.
5 users Like Mapokser's post

1999gc8 Offline

(06-02-2023, 05:34 AM)Mapokser Wrote: And not only that but as 10yo males they are a bit out of their prime and lost a bit of mass but my goodness they still look amazing.

Yes I was surprised at that as well and they look younger than they are. They still look in amazing shape and look massive.
2 users Like 1999gc8's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

Hard luck for Dreadlocks but good for the S. Avocas and the Sand River Pride. One of my favorite duos, always in amazing condition.
3 users Like Rabubi's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

8 users Like afortich's post

WildLeonis Away

The S. Avocas have always seemed pretty formidable even though it’s only two of them.  I think it’s because their bond is so strong. It is extremely rare to see them patrol etc. without the other. They are definitely one of the strongest coalitions I’ve seen in my short time watching wild lions.
4 users Like WildLeonis's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

An unexpected sighting… We came upon this dead elephant (natural causes), and it was not alone. The Mohawk Avoca male – ever the opportunist – had taken advantage of an effortless meal.

Video Credits: Jordan Jacobson (@theumlungu )

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Potato's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

Re picture Post 2429
Where did Mohawk find this elephant as on wild earth they have a dead elephant too. One has tusks and one without tusks. What could kill or why could 2 elephants die so close together? 
Are the nkuhumas by Mohawk? I’m still dreaming that he forms a partnership with Talamati boys and Nym. What are the chances that Nym and Mohawk recognize each other?

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

It may have been the same elephant. 

Sometimes the reserve removes those from death elephants to prevent resurectionism by poachers.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post