There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

Romania Cath2020 Online

(08-21-2021, 02:59 AM)239Pu Wrote: is it known which of the Southern Avoca is more dominant?
Credit: Phillip Blackie Swarts

*This image is copyright of its original author

As far as I recall, these two are very much equal with each other.  I believe that is why they've been dominant and successful for as long as they have been in pretty hostile territory.  They are always together, in tandem.  I even saw footage once where they were 'swap mating' with a lioness.  Granted, that may not be what they always do, but I thought it was not typical for even blood brother coalition partners....
4 users Like Cath2020's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

5 users Like Potato's post

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor

Dark Mane Avoca. 
Photo credit: A.J.N Experience

8 users Like lionuk's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Update from Legend Safaris on Avocas at Mala Mala:

Day 1 - Afternoon Safari Highlights

We then entered a sighting of a male lion from the Northern Avoca coalition (Blond mane) who was very close to camp. He was sleeping and we hoped that we would wake up and roar but unfortunately he turned over and carried on sleeping. We let him be and returned to camp. As we started dinner he began roaring and has been roaring non stop every minutes.

Day 2 - Morning & Afternoon Safari Highlights

Our afternoon drive stared in the area where the female leopard crossed out hoping she’d come back in but she wasn’t around. We spent time with buffalo and elephant herds in the Sand River and made our way to a lion sighting with a male (Mohawk, Northern Avoca) and a lioness from the Kambula pride. They were flat and we let them be.
We then entered a sighting of a huge male leopard (Maxims male) up a Jackalberry tree who was relaxed and full bellied.
We left him and located 3 lion cubs from the Kambula pride across the river.
4 users Like Potato's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 08-25-2021, 08:24 PM by BA0701 )

Dark Mane could care less, that he is shoving his face into the briars, in order to feed on a zebra carcass.

6 users Like BA0701's post

Australia 1999gc8 Offline

A young elephant charged Dark Mane so he turned around and attacked it.

11 users Like 1999gc8's post

Contributor

Mohawk seen today in Londolozi
Photo credit: K. Joscelyne

9 users Like lionuk's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Description of Elephant Plains says it is Dark Mane, but it is clearly Blondie on the photo.

“Dark Mane Avoca early morning with the sun rising behind him. He was contact calling in the morning to try and locate some of the pride members.“ - @rianboshoff

5 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The insurgence of the Northern Avoca Males into Londolozi continues. A huge statement was made by this particular male who was found in the central parts of the reserve mating with one of the Ntsevu lionesses.

[i]Confidence is key, this Avoca Male now deep within the Birmingham Males’ territory,[/i]

[i]
[/i]

[i][i]Another Ntsevu Female Laying not too far away had lifted her head and began grooming, catching this male’s attention as he was already on edge.[/i][/i]

[i][i]
[/i]
[/i]
8 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Dark Mane in all his masculine glory 

6 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

1/2 Southern Avoca Male looking fantastic. 
Picture taken in KNP.
Picture credit: Big On Wild

6 users Like lionuk's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

One of the Northern Avoca males heading southwards into Gowrie male territory.

6 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The Northern Avoca Males make a bold statement as they are found just to the north of the Londolozi camps, and spend the evening calling, proclaiming this section of the reserve. The following morning one of the Two Avoca Males is then found mating with a Ntsevu Female, quite far into the Birmingham Males’ territory.

Blondie is still a bit limping.
3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-29-2021, 07:24 PM)Potato Wrote: The Northern Avoca Males make a bold statement as they are found just to the north of the Londolozi camps, and spend the evening calling, proclaiming this section of the reserve. The following morning one of the Two Avoca Males is then found mating with a Ntsevu Female, quite far into the Birmingham Males’ territory.

Northern Londolozi is Avocas territory for over a year now..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-29-2021, 07:43 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-29-2021, 07:24 PM)Potato Wrote: The Northern Avoca Males make a bold statement as they are found just to the north of the Londolozi camps, and spend the evening calling, proclaiming this section of the reserve. The following morning one of the Two Avoca Males is then found mating with a Ntsevu Female, quite far into the Birmingham Males’ territory.

Northern Londolozi is Avocas territory for over a year now..

Guide said they were in central parts. Also to be clear it is Londolozi's description, not my own.
2 users Like Potato's post