There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos

India Vinay Offline
Banned

(04-29-2017, 01:08 AM)Garfield Wrote:
(04-29-2017, 12:28 AM)Pckts Wrote: @Garfield 
African lions are larger, close in dimensions but much thicker. I've spoke to numerous people who've seen both and they all say the same.
The mane could play a role in that though.

What about the arms though, are the Asiatic lion's arms stronger or thicker, African's are longer right?

Yup,Asiatic lions have strong and thick arms.African lions mostly run-down the prey, longer legs help them Vs Asiatic lions hunt like normal cats.

If Barbary lions really exists they are nothing but Asiatic lions, as far as 'less-mane' in Indian/Gir lions there are two possibilities

1.All Big-Mane Asiatic lions are hunted in the past.
2.In Cold they grow large mane
3.Both
3 users Like Vinay's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-11-2018, 09:22 PM by Rishi )

Some were tranq.ed for rescue or treatment or collaring..Others died from accidents & mishaps. These might help make guesstimate on their size...

*This image is copyright of its original author

6 users Like Rishi's post

United States Garfield Offline
Banned

(04-30-2017, 12:55 PM)Vinay Wrote:
(04-29-2017, 01:08 AM)Garfield Wrote:
(04-29-2017, 12:28 AM)Pckts Wrote: @Garfield 
African lions are larger, close in dimensions but much thicker. I've spoke to numerous people who've seen both and they all say the same.
The mane could play a role in that though.

What about the arms though, are the Asiatic lion's arms stronger or thicker, African's are longer right?

Yup,Asiatic lions have strong and thick arms.African lions mostly run-down the prey, longer legs help them Vs Asiatic lions hunt like normal cats.

If Barbary lions really exists they are nothing but Asiatic lions, as far as 'less-mane' in Indian/Gir lions there are two possibilities

1.All Big-Mane Asiatic lions are hunted in the past.
2.In Cold they grow large mane
3.Both

You mean the forearms right, becaz I mean the African lions have to have the biggest shoulders, just too many seem so huge there.
3 users Like Garfield's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-19-2018, 07:58 PM by Rishi )

(Apologies for bombarding this thread in such manner...)

6 users Like Rishi's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@Rishi keep posting I'm sure everyone loves it. 
Asiatic lions are by many me included very underrated, it wasn't until 3-4 years ago when I wisited an animal park in Sweeden called Parken Zoo I really could see how massive they where. I have been arround and working with an 250-260 kg African male lion. And this Asiatic male was every bit as big framing vise. An unbelievable animal. When he died of old age he weighed 191,5 kg. They said the zoo's veterinarian thought and estimated him to be arround 250 kg in his prime, and his female weighed and confirmed at 180 kg, the new male who's still young weighed 180 kg last summer. 

Here is a picture and a video of the old male. 

9 users Like Pantherinae's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-19-2019, 08:51 AM by Rishi )

INDIAN paintings of biodiversity...

..& lion hunt.

Lions shared the Northern Indian great plains with water-buffaloes & rhinos...

Captivity..

Lion was the Mughal sigil & cows were symbolism of prosperity..both make multiple appearances in their miniature paintings...

Imperial "hunts"...

5 users Like Rishi's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Rishi:

About #285: these paintings are very instructiv ! The indian artists showed the asiatic lions as being able to fight the elephants as the tigers are. Were there some big lion huntings as they were tiger huntings (with elephants, sherpas, armed men on foot and so on) ? We could believe by seeing these paintings that the lion was depicted as being an adversary, a game, as "prestigious" as the tiger.

I only ask a question... The artists were and are the witness of their times.
3 users Like Spalea's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(05-02-2017, 10:44 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Rishi:

About #285: these paintings are very instructiv ! The indian artists showed the asiatic lions as being able to fight the elephants as the tigers are. Were there some big lion huntings as they were tiger huntings (with elephants, sherpas, armed men on foot and so on) ? We could believe by seeing these paintings that the lion was depicted as being an adversary, a game, as "prestigious" as the tiger.

I only ask a question... The artists were and are the witness of their times.

Also, the Indian lions are not representative for the entire Asiatic lions population in the history.

We don't really know how the other Asiatic lion populations did behave. Consider that the entire population of the African lions consist some huge diversity, them same rule might apply for the historical Asiatic lions.
4 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

Some interesting depictions illustrated in these paintings.
5 users Like chaos's post

Banned
( This post was last modified: 07-19-2019, 08:52 AM by Rishi )

(05-02-2017, 12:55 AM)Pantherinae Wrote: @Rishi keep posting I'm sure everyone loves it. 
Asiatic lions are by many me included very underrated, it wasn't until 3-4 years ago when I wisited an animal park in Sweeden called Parken Zoo I really could see how massive they where. I have been arround and working with an 250-260 kg African male lion. And this Asiatic male was every bit as big framing vise. An unbelievable animal. When he died of old age he weighed 191,5 kg. They said the zoo's veterinarian thought and estimated him to be arround 250 kg in his prime, and his female weighed and confirmed at 180 kg, the new male who's still young weighed 180 kg last summer. 

Here is a picture and a video of the old male. 

That lion looks pretty strong, I agree I was typing in bulky and Asiatic lion, and I ran into stuff on some other sites, I think it is possible the Asiatic lion in its prime as a species may have been pretty strongly built or bulky being the word.  On this site it says a hunter that killed an Asiatic lion in 1840 thought the thing was bulkier than any tiger he'd killed before.  So that's considerable, and if Barbary's are related to Asiatic lions then maybe they were also built heavier. 

Now for the Lion of Kattywar or central Gezerat. In the B. S. M. for July, 1840, is a record of one there slain, of which we read : -——“ This Lion was 9 feet, with flowing mane, and altogether much more bulky than any Tiger I have killed

lion more bulky tiger&f=false[/b]

A possible Barbary or Cape lion, the keeper says its heavier built and more muscular than his other lions, with a darker mane and coat.  Looks pretty strong to me. 

4 users Like Garfield's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-03-2017, 09:38 AM by Rishi )

Check out these two works...

I think tigers & lions might have gone a step little further than mutual cohabitation at some point in time!!!..  Huh    

(People must have seen these..How else does one explain the similar looks & stature & correct relative size w.r.t humans in two different paintings of different times from two different regions of India??!!!)
5 users Like Rishi's post

Banned

(05-03-2017, 09:33 AM)Rishi Wrote: Check out these two works...

I think tigers & lions might have gone a step little further than mutual cohabitation at some point in time!!!..  Huh    

(People must have seen these..How else does one explain the similar looks & stature & correct relative size w.r.t humans in two different paintings of different times from two different regions of India??!!!)

That's pretty interesting, I just ran into this, not only was there dark coated lions called black lions killed in Kattywar India which the same descriptions were given to some dark Barbary's in north Africa, but there was also a description of a manned tiger cat seen on lake Manasarowara at Tibet.  Could that be mixed species, I don't know.  

https://books.google.com/books?pg=PA221&...er&f=false
2 users Like Garfield's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@GrizzlyClaws :

About #287: clearly agree with you... We don't know directly how asiatic lions behave, within their diversity. There aren't written accounts about asiatic lions during the past centuries. But as concerns the artists and the paintings they realized about lion huntings, they did never painted "freely" without proof, but helped by oral descriptions, narratives. Thus we can perhaps, probably, conclude that lions benefited from a similar reputation to the tiger's one in terms of strength and bravery.

I don't like big-game hunting at all. Of any animal on Earth. But here, these paintings are projecting a popular vision about an almost extinct anima specy, and we enjoy only that in order to know how they were perceived. The extant asiatic lions being only a relic of what they were, they were almost eradicated (in a much more open living biotop, their gun hunting was unlucky much more easy than in the case of the tiger living in a much more dense jungle) .

We know too, thank to these paintings, they hunted big bovids (and perhaps not only bovid cattle).
5 users Like Spalea's post

Banned
( This post was last modified: 05-03-2017, 11:07 AM by Garfield )

(05-03-2017, 10:48 AM)Spalea Wrote: @GrizzlyClaws :

About #287: clearly agree with you... We don't know directly how asiatic lions behave, within their diversity. There aren't written accounts about asiatic lions during the past centuries. But as concerns the artists and the paintings they realized about lion huntings, they did never painted "freely" without proof, but helped by oral descriptions, narratives. Thus we can perhaps, probably, conclude that lions benefited from a similar reputation to the tiger's one in terms of strength and bravery.

I don't like big-game hunting at all. Of any animal on Earth. But here, these paintings are projecting a popular vision about an almost extinct anima specy, and we enjoy only that in order to know how they were perceived. The extant asiatic lions being only a relic of what they were, they were almost eradicated (in a much more open living biotop, their gun hunting was unlucky much more easy than in the case of  the tiger living in a much more dense jungle) .

We know too, thank to these paintings, they hunted big bovids (and perhaps not only bovid cattle).

I think like you guys were saying it can vary depending upon what turfs and groups the lions live in, in that link I found the hunter said the lions in Kattywar were more aggressive than any lion he had shot.  But as far as bravery for sure lions are known by many to be a bolder cat, the tiger is more of a secretive stealth ninja who doesn't like getting his hands dirty unless its an easy picking.
4 users Like Garfield's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
Smile  ( This post was last modified: 07-19-2019, 11:55 AM by Rishi )

@Spalea About #292..as you saw in #285 MOST Indian lions 500 years ago looked EXACTLY like they do today. 

@GrizzlyClaws About #287 Persian depictions of lion looks kinda like Indian ones with belly & post flank mane...

That mane starts reducing towards Anatolia...

..& Mesopotamia

& mediterranean Turkey.

& Arabian Peninsula.

Again in Syria & Iraq (snows in the North), the art & architecture depicts  more Barbary-like looks. 

Romans acquired lions from all over Middle-East. Persia, Arabia, Syria, Judaea, Mesopotamia....North Africa.
And their mosaics showed it...

10 users Like Rishi's post