There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Amur Tigers

LandSeaLion Offline
Banned

I found the old post with details about the correspondence:

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-modern-weights-and-measurements-on-wild-tigers?pid=52498#pid52498

Here is a photo of the male tiger said to be 345kg - the tigress in front of him is said (by the same source) to be 180kg:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Personally, I agree with Khan85 that it should not be used as a fact - especially given the same source also claimed to have weighed a tiger that was close to 400kg. These figures are several standard deviations beyond the verified largest tigers accepted in scientific record (which are in the ballpark of 270-280kg), and would mean that these tigers are as large as the biggest known cats from prehistoric times.

Don’t get me wrong, it would be pretty cool if there were 350-400kg cats still roaming in the wild…but extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence for me to believe them. 

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(06-07-2021, 04:27 PM)LandSeaLion Wrote: ...given the same source also claimed to have weighed a tiger that was close to 400kg.

When did that happen?.. Dr. Jamshed gave a specific number.

LandSeaLion Offline
Banned

It was mentioned in the post I linked:

Quote:"The largest Tigers he's weighed are 345kgs and 13.3 feet and he also said he has one that weighed almost 400kg "
1 user Likes LandSeaLion's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

(06-07-2021, 03:49 PM)Khan85 Wrote: Yes, all those zoologists were referring to the same 320 kg tiger from Nepal. That is one animal
Are you sure they all only talk about that single 320 kg speciment? 

Because this one here seems to mention other 2 different speciments, one of 317 kg and one of 386 kg that allegedly weighs 322 kg on empty stomach (is it the famous 389 kg Bengal that ate the buffalo calf?)

Another question, I see on every site including Wikipedia that the upper limit for a bengal tiger is 325 kg, whereas no bengal tiger was weighed that much, so maybe it belongs to the estimated weight of the 389 kg giant on empty stomach ?

It's sad we don't have a valid proof to confirm that alleged 345 kg male, although Wasif Jamshed is said to be a solid source we can't trust him.
I personally believe a bit that the tiger really weighs that much, if the female truly weighs 180 kg.
We’ll never know unless someone decides to weigh them again, I hope someone will lol maybe we can put pressure on zoologists of that zone and ask them images of the scale when they weigh the tiger ahaha

Czech Republic Charger01 Offline
Animal admirer & Vegan
( This post was last modified: 06-07-2021, 10:26 PM by Charger01 )

(06-07-2021, 07:02 PM)LoveAnimals Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 03:49 PM)Khan85 Wrote: Yes, all those zoologists were referring to the same 320 kg tiger from Nepal. That is one animal
Are you sure they all only talk about that single 320 kg speciment? 

Because this one here seems to mention other 2 different speciments, one of 317 kg and one of 386 kg that allegedly weighs 322 kg on empty stomach (is it the famous 389 kg Bengal that ate the buffalo calf?)

Another question, I see on every site including Wikipedia that the upper limit for a bengal tiger is 325 kg, whereas no bengal tiger was weighed that much, so maybe it belongs to the estimated weight of the 389 kg giant on empty stomach ?

It's sad we don't have a valid proof to confirm that alleged 345 kg male, although Wasif Jamshed is said to be a solid source we can't trust him.
I personally believe a bit that the tiger really weighs that much, if the female truly weighs 180 kg.
We’ll never know unless someone decides to weigh them again, I hope someone will lol maybe we can put pressure on zoologists of that zone and ask them images of the scale when they weigh the tiger ahaha
705 lbs is actually 320 kg, 317.3 kg as mentioned is a misprint. Length was 10' 9" over curves. Also, this male was shot in Nepal.
Same misprint in the case of 386 kg tiger, its 389 kg (857 lbs)

Another tiger of 700 lbs (317 kg) was shot in the central provinces of India in 1907 by Captain M.D. Goring Jones. This one measured 9' 11.5" probably between pegs.
1 user Likes Charger01's post

Czech Republic Charger01 Offline
Animal admirer & Vegan

In my opinion, if someone asks me what are the biggest tigers reliably recorded, they would be the two males (M105 and M026) from Chitwan that exceeded 272 kg scale (600 lbs+) and another male of 285 kg (629 lbs) radio-collared by Dr. Y.V. Jhala

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-08-2021, 04:34 AM by Pckts )

(06-08-2021, 12:14 AM)Khan85 Wrote: In my opinion, if someone asks me what are the biggest tigers reliably recorded, they would be the two males (M105 and M026) from Chitwan that exceeded 272 kg scale (600 lbs+) and another male of 285 kg (629 lbs) radio-collared by Dr. Y.V. Jhala

That male that Y.V. mentions was from Kanha and while I agree that more information on the Ring Road Male would of been helpful, Wasif does carry much more weight than random photographers.

I also think Colonel Ramsay's Tiger extrapolates quite well when compared to other large Males and it could be the largest Tiger ever recorded.

1 user Likes Pckts's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 06-08-2021, 05:40 AM by peter )

(06-05-2021, 11:59 PM)Nyers Wrote: I managed to find a way to contact Batalov, if anyone has any questions you are interested in about the amur tiger, the ussuri brown bear, the ussuri black bear and the Russian Far East in general, you can leave them here. I will translate them into russian and send them to Batalov.

Quote:Thank you for your message and participation in the fate of the Durma farm and the Amur tigers that live there. Alexander Sergeevich still continues to struggle with gold miners, who stubbornly continue their work on the territory of the economy, despite the court order, and have already received a new license to continue exploration of the Durminskoye deposit.

As for the black bears, you are right - Batalov is interested in them and studies them along with his work on the study of tigers.
Social networks A.S. really doesn't use, but email. by mail - regularly. The address you found really belongs to Alexander Sergeevich, I am in correspondence with him at this address. You can send your message to him and he will read it. True, there may be delays with the answer, tk. now he is busy planting cedar (Korean pine) seedlings on the farm. This tree provides the main food (along with oak acorns) to wild boars, which, as you know, are the main prey of the tiger. Felling of these species is being carried out on the territory, and the state does not plan to plant seedlings.

Yours faithfully,
Olga (assistant Batalova A.S.)

ALL

This thread is about wild Amur tigers. Not Indian tigers. 

My proposal is to continue with the last post of 'Nyers' (post 720). He succeeded in contacting Alexander Batalov. This is the man who, in 3 interviews, said 'Chlamida' (a very large male brown bear who followed and robbed tigress 'Rachel' for a considerable period of time) was killed and eaten by male tiger 'Ochkarik' in the fall of 2017. Tiger 'Ochkarik' is the father of the cubs of 'Rachel'. 

In his last contribution (see above), 'Nyers' wrote he succeeded in contacting Alexander Batalov. He added he's prepared to translate questions of members interested in Amur tigers, Ussuri brown bears and Himalayan black bears into Russian and send them to Alexander Batalov. 

I'd say it's a unique opportunity to talk to a real expert on tigers and bears in the Russian Far East.
1 user Likes peter's post

Austria Maritimus77 Offline

@Nyers 

That's amazing; well done for getting in contact with him, I'd have two questions that can maybe receive a clearer answer:

1. As there is a lot of confusion among many posters due to different articles telling different stories I'd like to hear his Batalov's personal take on the event: What happened between Chlamida and Ochkarik? Did the tiger indeed manage to kill this specific male brown bear or could it have been another bear?

2. As the population of Amur tigers is stated to be recovering, has he noticed any significant changes in terms of prey selection and thus size in Siberian tigers over the last few decades?

Thanks in advance for reaching out to him; just ping me when you've received an answer, I am looking forward to his response.
3 users Like Maritimus77's post

Apex Titan Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-11-2021, 07:16 PM by Apex Titan )

An Amur tiger was photographed on the territory of the Land of the Leopard National Park in the Primorsky Territory. The predator could take a break after a tiring journey or a successful hunt.

"The position in the food chain allows these predators to behave this way."

“In Land of the Leopard, they have no one to fear - the Amur tiger is at the top of the food chain, being a super predator. However, some things make this apex predator related to a domestic cat. For example, the desire to sometimes lie in plenty in the sun's rays, ”the employees of the national park described the picture.

https://moya-planeta.ru/news/view/v_prim...na_solntse

https://www.rgo.ru/ru/article/tihiy-chas...-v-primore
5 users Like Apex Titan's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

6 users Like Pckts's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Siberian Tiger captured by camera trap.

© Michael Turek

5 users Like Dark Jaguar's post