There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Amur Tigers

India Hello Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-03-2024, 04:43 PM by Hello )

Bimbo,120 cm and claimed to be 400 kg.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Huge head

1 user Likes Hello's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-02-2021, 06:57 PM by peter )

(04-26-2021, 04:27 PM)Nyers Wrote: credits to Amur tiger center

The tiger was tested for blood and taken to the Mudanjian

The tiger suffers from an eye disease. China?

Russian Federation Nyers Offline

(05-02-2021, 05:49 PM)peter Wrote:
(04-26-2021, 04:27 PM)Nyers Wrote: credits to Amur tiger center

The tiger was tested for blood and taken to the Mudanjian

The tigers suffers from an eye disease. China?

i think tiger got this injury when he attack car
and yes this incident was happen in China
1 user Likes Nyers's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-20-2021, 03:34 AM by peter )

(05-02-2021, 02:31 PM)Panthera Wrote: Rare record, Wild Amur tiger go into Chinese village and shattered car windows on 23th of last month(10 days ago)
As far as I got information from news, the individual is male at 2~3 years old (225kg)

The subtitle language can choose into English

No subtitle language options, but the video is longer
4:20 there is clear head image

During a trip to Russia to explore the country, the tiger concluded China wasn't as bad as he initially thought. He decided to return. The trip back, however, didn't go smoothly. My guess is he was in a hurry, as he travelled in daylight. 

Out in the open in a treeless region he didn't know, he most probably felt uncomfortable. This could be the reason he decided to seek shelter in a village. When he was discovered, he had no option but to leave. As he was seen and followed, he felt trapped. This, most probably, was the reason he decided to confront those he considered responsible for the situation.  

The video suggests the woman working on the field wasn't even aware of him. My guess is the tiger also concluded she didn't pose a threat when he was closing in. This could be the reason she wasn't attacked, but just bumped. The woman immediately got to her feet, meaning the tiger, at least twice, if not three times her weight, hadn't used any force. When he was moving towards the woman, another woman driving a car decided to intervene in order to discourage him. Seen from the perspective of the tiger, it was an aggressive move, if not a threat. This is the reason he decided to use a bit more force. Although he broke a window, nobody was hurt.  

The violence used, therefore, was proportionate in both cases. When we add the tiger was a young man out of his comfort zone facing a situation he could have perceived as life-threatening, we can only conclude he acted in a very mature way.   

When I saw the video, I immediately thought of Jim Corbett. Although he, more than most others, had good reasons to consider tigers as dangerous (Corbett hunted man-eaters for many years), he got to a remarkable conclusion:

" ... There is, however, one point on which I am convinced that all sportsmen ... will agree with me, and that is, that a tiger is a large-hearted gentlemen with boundless courage ... ('Man-Eaters of Kumaon', Jim Corbett, London, 1947, Author's Note, pp. xvi).
5 users Like peter's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

@Rage2277
@Pckts
@Hello
@Sher Khan
@ShereKhan
@Balam
@tigerluver

I know many of these have been debunked but is there any way I can get the full list of old hunting records of siberian tigers by Ryckov (or whatever his name is)?

I am curious and I just wanna calculate an average of tigers before our influence on their size (even though some weights are debunked) 

I got these screens, do you know where i can find the full document?

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(05-02-2021, 02:47 PM)Hello Wrote: Bimbo,120 cm and claimed to be 400 kg

Huge head

Which one is true, some people including one of the zookeeper said it was 125 cm tall at the shoulder and you said Bimbo was 120 cm tall.

Czech Republic Charger01 Offline
Animal admirer & Vegan
( This post was last modified: 05-06-2021, 04:33 PM by Charger01 )

(05-06-2021, 03:13 PM)LoveAnimals Wrote: @Rage2277
@Pckts
@Hello
@Sher Khan
@ShereKhan
@Balam
@tigerluver

I know many of these have been debunked but is there any way I can get the full list of old hunting records of siberian tigers by Ryckov (or whatever his name is)?

I am curious and I just wanna calculate an average of tigers before our influence on their size (even though some weights are debunked) 

I got these screens, do you know where i can find the full document?
This is from Slaght et al. 2005 - Tigers in Sikhote-Alin Zapovednik: Ecology and Conservation Page 5 and 10/11 
.pdf   Slaght et al 2005.pdf (Size: 1.29 MB / Downloads: 14)   

Most of these weights have been disproved and disregarded, but in that table are also 9 reliable ones which gave an average of 215.5 kg for historical amur tigers (prior 1970) largest being 254 kg
This was also the source of the erroneous average figure of 176.4 kg for amur tigers after 1970s, mainly because the sample included unhealthy animals too which dropped the numbers.

India Hello Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-06-2021, 06:25 PM by Hello )

(05-06-2021, 04:13 PM)johnny rex Wrote:

Huge head

Which one is true, some people including one of the zookeeper said it was 125 cm tall at the shoulder and you said Bimbo was 120 cm tall.
I was not sure, but 125 cm seems bit of a stretch.i'd say it is not impossible but such heights are extremely rare, abnormal and are giants. Amnon said amurs from this facility are extremely large.
Some huge amurs from tiger oasis
https://www.milanfoto.eu/displayimage.php?album=151&pid=3985#top_display_media

3 users Like Hello's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

(05-06-2021, 04:31 PM)Khan85 Wrote: This is from Slaght et al. 2005 - Tigers in Sikhote-Alin Zapovednik: Ecology and Conservation Page 5 and 10/11 

Slaght et al 2005.pdf (Size: 1.29 MB / Downloads: 2)  
Thank you! I am really interested in knowing how they were disproven, I mean I understand why they would consider unreliable any 380-400 lg tiger but why as example some 280 or some 300 kg ones? If the largest bengal weighed 322 empty after eating a Buffalo how can't amurs reach 280 - 300 kgs... There are some captive HEALTHY males weighing 276-282 kg with one being 4'4 feet tall so if exemplars of this size exist in captivity I'm totally sure they could exist in the wild when there was much more prey to catch

(05-06-2021, 04:31 PM)Khan85 Wrote: This was also the source of the erroneous average figure of 176.4 kg for amur tigers after 1970s, mainly because the sample included unhealthy animals too which dropped the numbers.

Really? Is the 176 kg average for Amur tigers just the result from weighing unhealthy males? That's great news I am extra tored of hearing that as the average weight of the Amurs.
The average now is 196-203 kg I guess?

Animal admirer & Vegan
( This post was last modified: 05-06-2021, 10:44 PM by Charger01 )

(05-06-2021, 09:30 PM)LoveAnimals Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 04:31 PM)Khan85 Wrote: This is from Slaght et al. 2005 - Tigers in Sikhote-Alin Zapovednik: Ecology and Conservation Page 5 and 10/11 

Slaght et al 2005.pdf (Size: 1.29 MB / Downloads: 2)  
Thank you! I am really interested in knowing how they were disproven, I mean I understand why they would consider unreliable any 380-400 lg tiger but why as example some 280 or some 300 kg ones? If the largest bengal weighed 322 empty after eating a Buffalo how can't amurs reach 280 - 300 kgs... There are some captive HEALTHY males weighing 276-282 kg with one being 4'4 feet tall so if exemplars of this size exist in captivity I'm totally sure they could exist in the wild when there was much more prey to catch

(05-06-2021, 04:31 PM)Khan85 Wrote: This was also the source of the erroneous average figure of 176.4 kg for amur tigers after 1970s, mainly because the sample included unhealthy animals too which dropped the numbers.

Really? Is the 176 kg average for Amur tigers just the result from weighing unhealthy males? That's great news I am extra tored of hearing that as the average weight of the Amurs.
The average now is 196-203 kg I guess?
They tried to go into detail of the records, and for majority of them it was found that the data came from secondary sources. Many mentions were very vague like for eg,. one said, "There were reports of tigers up to 384 kg" & that was all. Such vague statements and data coming from secondary sources and not first hand made their reliability questionable. 

For all animals, I prefer to consider only the published figures from zoologists for the max size which comes out to be over 272 kg for bengals (272 kg+) from Terai Arc Landscape. Two tigers exceeded a scale of 272 kg which were captured and weighed during the Tiger Ecology Program in Chitwan NP (70s and 80s) There have been verified reports of Bengals at 320 kg like from Nepal (Smythies 1942) but a hunting record is a hunting record and can always be questioned at some time. There was also a male Bengal tiger which was said to have been weighed and verified by Dr. Wasif from Pilibhit NP at 345 kg through pers. comm. and only 2-3 years back but we haven't seen the figure being published anywhere hence it can't be used as a fact, that is for now. 

As published in Slaght et al. 2005, it was 254 kg for amur tigers and 212 kg from post '70 records. However, I believe that the modern records that exist for Amur tigers make us greatly underestimate these cats and older reliable records are a better reflection of their actual size. 

Credits - Guate Gojira

You can see the appendix in table one that 3 tigers were severely malnourished and dropped the average. Also, there were 10 tigers that were measured other than STP. Guate included them. 

For older records

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

(05-06-2021, 10:41 PM)Khan85 Wrote: There have been verified reports of Bengals at 320 kg like from Nepal (Smythies 1942) but a hunting record is a hunting record and can always be questioned at some time
Do you know where I can read more about all those 320 kg tigers? Therr must be reports and if they are "verified"... Just curiosity I would like to read about those giant speciments.
Thanks again for everything btw

Animal admirer & Vegan

(05-07-2021, 12:41 AM)LoveAnimals Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 10:41 PM)Khan85 Wrote: There have been verified reports of Bengals at 320 kg like from Nepal (Smythies 1942) but a hunting record is a hunting record and can always be questioned at some time
Do you know where I can read more about all those 320 kg tigers? Therr must be reports and if they are "verified"... Just curiosity I would like to read about those giant speciments.
Thanks again for everything btw

You can read here - https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-on-the-edge-of-extinction-a-the-tiger-panthera-tigris?pid=8625#pid8625
and here - https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-on-the-edge-of-extinction-a-the-tiger-panthera-tigris?pid=8626#pid8626
1 user Likes Charger01's post

woshiniya Offline

https://bigcats-ru.livejournal.com/125951.html
The Project Wildlife Conservation Society “Amur Tiger” has been taking place in Sikhote Alinskiy biosphere nature Reserve (north-eastern part of Primorye, Russian Far East) since 1992. The Project includes capturing tigers with the use of Aldrich foot snare for further immobilization and equipping them with radio or GPS collars. Aldrich foot snare is a steel device made of 8mm rod, spring and big screw bolts. The trap is set in a small hollow on the trail that the animal uses; it is attached to a tree and is thoroughly disguised. When the animal steps on a spring, the loop catches its foot. When the tiger is trapped he starts to throw himself and bite the metal device. As a result, tigers seriously injure their paws and teeth, and it usually later results in their death. Russian zoologists started using this snare as well in 2008.

Dalnauka Publishing House (Vladivostok) has published a monograph Diseases and Parasites of Wildlife in Siberia and the Russian Far East under the editorship of I.V. Seryodkin and D.G. Miquelle. Dr. Seryodkin is an associate professor and acting Head of Laboratory in Pacific Institute of Geography, Far-Eastern Branch, Russian Academy of Science. Dr. D. G. Miquelle is the director of WCS Russia [1]. Pages 108-117 of the book contain a chapter titled “Tooth breakage in tigers: cause for conflict?” [2]. The authors of the chapter are members of “Amur Tiger” Project launched by WCS: D.M. Goodrich, I.V. Seryodkin, D.G. Miquelle, L.L. Kerley, H.B. Quigley, M.G. Hornocker. They try to address the criticism of WCS centered on dangerous entrapment techniques which often harm animals and consequently provoke aggression towards humans [3..6]. They try to prove this wrong by substantiating their work with studies of 46 tigers caught by Aldrich foot snares. Notably, they discuss only dental injuries, and more specifically “… on injured canines with necrotic pulp and open apex; other teeth are beyond the scope of this research”. Limb injuries are not mentioned at all, while it is intuitive to expect this kind of damage after being caught by paw-catching steel snare.

The conclusions derived from the research are hardly unexpected considering the affiliation of the authors:
  1. Dental injuries are rare when using Aldrich snare.
  2. Broken canines do not significantly influence fertility, survival or hunting abilities.
  3. Most of the “tiger aggression” cases have nothing to do with broken canines.
Only two tigers, or 3.7% out of total, turned out to have injured their teeth during the trapping sessions carried out by WCS. Let’s look at the case of a big male tiger caught by WCS in early November 2006 in south-western Primorye (Khasanskiy District). Few days after being caught the tiger was surrounded and shot by hunters who did a game drive while hunting ungulates. The tiger was found near a killed boar and attacked a local hunter. There were two accounts of the case; one claimed that the tiger was shot prior to the attack, while the other claimed that the tiger attacked first. Anyhow, this tiger had been recorded in the area for ten years, never got caught before the incident, and never had conflicts with humans. Game drive is a usual business in Amur tiger habitat. Apparently, the tiger avoided the hunters all his life until this unfortunate day, which brings the question: was the death of the tiger accidental or was the animal inclined to find itself in a situation of high risk and insecurity. The shot tiger had major external damages caused by recent trapping. There were broken canines and paws cut by Aldrich snare, as acknowledged by WCS members. In this particular case there was no chance to cover up the injuries, because the corpse of the tiger was inspected by a third party. Which tiger with dental injuries was officially the second one mentioned out of the total sample is unknown.

So what was going on with other tigers? Were the two tigers mentioned by WCS the only ones which injured the teeth while being caught by Aldrich snares? The teeth of the first tiger were completely destroyed (Fig. 1). Were the other tigers of different kind? Did they lay down calmly waiting to get a dose of tranquillizer? Sure! This is what WCS members claim in their book. We consider that book extremely simplistic and biased, since it claims that tigers with dental problems hunt down bigger prey (the difference is valued about 3kg or 6.6 lbs), successfully reproduce and do not interfere with people. One might think that tigers don’t need canines at all. To support their conclusions, Goodrich et al. compare African lions to tigers, not taking into account totally different ecology, social structure and range patterns. They point out that “Dental injuries caused by trapping were detected only twice”. Interestingly, they also mention that over 70% of trapped tigers were later killed by poachers.
3 users Like woshiniya's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-12-2021, 10:54 PM by Ashutosh )

Camera trap images from Bastak Reserve Protection area:

1st image: Thunder (male).
2nd image: Lazovka (female)
3,4,5th image: Svetlaya (female)

To be fair, all of them look in great health.
5 users Like Ashutosh's post

ganidat Offline

(05-06-2021, 06:01 PM)Hello Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 04:13 PM)johnny rex Wrote:

Huge head

I was not sure, but 125 cm seems bit of a stretch.i'd say it is not impossible but such heights are extremely rare, abnormal and are giants. Amnon said amurs from this facility are extremely large.
Some huge amurs from tiger oasis
https://www.milanfoto.eu/displayimage.php?album=151&pid=3985#top_display_media

Do you know if the tiger on the other side of the fence was standing on higher ground?
1 user Likes ganidat's post