There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Lion (Panthera atrox)

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

(05-30-2021, 12:54 AM)LoveAnimals Wrote:
(05-29-2021, 01:27 PM)tigerluver Wrote: From long bones and skulls the biggest specimens were mid to high 300s kg from literature. Studies using articular width or midshaft diameters find low 400s. However this would be reduced if limb bone length was accounted for.

So would you agree if I estimate the average for males from 243 to 268 kg and max from 317 to 384 kg?

That is fair.
2 users Like tigerluver's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

A Male American Lion (P. Atrox) with a Smilodon Fatalis. Sketch done by sergei merjeevski.

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Sully's post

Moderators

@epaiva, I recall you had a nice table of your skull collection measurements and had P. atrox over 460 mm. Do you have a photo of the skull measured with a ruler for scale? It would be great for some comparisons. Thank you!
2 users Like tigerluver's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-15-2021, 09:46 AM by epaiva )

Length of skull 46,7 cm, wide of skull 30,4 cm, length of upper fangs 74,8 and 74,3 mm, length of lower fangs 53,9 mm and 55,1 mm

8 users Like epaiva's post

Moderators

Excellent as always @epaiva, thank you!
1 user Likes tigerluver's post

KRA123 Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-16-2021, 11:55 AM by KRA123 )

Proposed American lion petroglyph:

5 users Like KRA123's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@epaiva :

About #109: incredible photo ! It's a so much impressive skull... Thank you for sharing this.
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Moderators

(07-16-2021, 11:55 AM)KRA123 Wrote: Proposed American lion petroglyph:

These are very interesting. Could you please link to the specific page on this website?

KRA123 Offline

@tigerluver It isn't a website, as far I know. Ray Urbaniak and I are both in the "Pleistocene Megafauna" Facebook group where he shared some of these petroglyphs. He has a pdf of them, though I think I posted the most promising ones.
1 user Likes KRA123's post

Moderators

(07-18-2021, 09:25 AM)KRA123 Wrote: @tigerluver It isn't a website, as far I know. Ray Urbaniak and I are both in the "Pleistocene Megafauna" Facebook group where he shared some of these petroglyphs. He has a pdf of them, though I think I posted the most promising ones.

I was actually able to find the website. It’s in this magazine/journal.
1 user Likes tigerluver's post

KRA123 Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-18-2021, 10:39 AM by KRA123 )

(07-18-2021, 10:18 AM)tigerluver Wrote:
(07-18-2021, 09:25 AM)KRA123 Wrote: @tigerluver It isn't a website, as far I know. Ray Urbaniak and I are both in the "Pleistocene Megafauna" Facebook group where he shared some of these petroglyphs. He has a pdf of them, though I think I posted the most promising ones.

I was actually able to find the website. It’s in this magazine/journal.

Yeah, I think that's the pdf I was talking about.

Utkarsh Offline
Question 

American Lion was 523 kg cause. New studies are of 2012 which gave an range of 235 kg to 523 kg which is pretty enormous it was not of 1993

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

Credit to extintanimalsfacts 

3 users Like epaiva's post

Maldives acutidens150 Offline
Banned

(08-01-2021, 12:20 PM)Utkarsh Wrote: American Lion was 523 kg cause. New studies are of 2012 which gave an range of 235 kg to 523 kg which is pretty enormous it was not of 1993

That's an exaggerative value.

Maldives acutidens150 Offline
Banned

Can I have all fossil size chart of Panthera atrox?