There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
African Leopards

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

4 users Like Pantherinae's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 03-26-2015, 09:53 PM by sanjay )

An amazing footage. Leopard and bull buffalo company together. According to Original photographer, The buffalo was perfectly fine and did not bother the presence of leopard.

All credit and copyright belong to photographer: Andre van Helsdingen

5 users Like sanjay's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

OMG!
Incredible.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@Pckts remember our discussion about leopard male against a big hyena? I found this clip of a large male leopard and a large hyena. 
I think this is what actually is gonna happen with two large induviduals. it's just two animals so evenly matched that no one would take the other. while leopards can take down small hyenas, and hyenas can beat smaller leopards, a leopard Male and female hyena is just so close it could go eiather way. 

50/50 until another hyena comes in.

5 users Like Pantherinae's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-03-2015, 04:38 AM by Pckts )

(05-28-2015, 08:26 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: @Pckts remember our discussion about leopard male against a big hyena? I found this clip of a large male leopard and a large hyena. 
I think this is what actually is gonna happen with two large individuals. it's just two animals so evenly matched that no one would take the other. while leopards can take down small hyenas, and hyenas can beat smaller leopards, a leopard Male and female hyena is just so close it could go eiather way. 

50/50 until another hyena comes in.

50/50 is probably correct, but that shows a tug of war not a fight and that hyena is definitely larger than the leopard but impressively the leopard will not budge in the tug of war and never relinquishes his grip on the carcass until back up arrives. In a fight between the two I would still take the male leopard over the female hyenna for sure though. Still have yet to see a lone hyena put a leopard in danger but have seen a few leopards kill or have death holds on hyenas of equal size.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

I would like to share story, information and images of Leopards and crocodile interaction.

There was an exciting sighting recently when two crocodile were seen with the carcass of a zebra on the bank of the Mara River. The smaller of the two crocodile quickly receded back into the river and as soon as it had gone a male leopard then materialised from the long grass on the bank above and started to compete with the one large crocodile for the meal. The leopard tugged away and snarled, all the time the crocodile did not give in, after a few minutes, only when the Leopard released his grip the crocodile swung around and took the complete remains of the Zebra back into the river. The leopard appeared shocked that the crocodile moved very quickly complete with meal.

Photo courtesy of Governors Il Moran Camp Guest John Lyall
8 users Like sanjay's post

Norway Jubatus Offline

Zambia Male Leopard trying to steal a crocodiles meal

a male Leopard in South Luangwa National Park

15 crocs were relaxing on the river bank. With the two dominat male crocodiles feeding on a freshly killed Puku

Then one of the big males of the area wanted a piece of the action aswell, The One Eyed males, as he`s called, walked up to the Crocs in hope of stealing their feast. 

A tug og war between two of Africas top Predators. 
Sadly he failed in his attemp to steal their meal, and afterwards he snuk of to relax in the shade. He mad anthoer Three attemps to sneak up and steal the kill. Each attack came from a different angle. 

Reluctantly, he had to give up when the Puku had been concumed by the Crocodiles.

5 users Like Jubatus's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

you might have seen this video, A big crocodile snatches away impala kill from pair of Leopard

2 users Like sanjay's post

Poland feracorda Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 09-15-2015, 08:56 PM by feracorda )

a leopard blew out a giant mirror at 3:23

90kg leopard Wink

leopard vs 3 lioness

leopard vs lioness
1 user Likes feracorda's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

I think its obviously time to stop using mirrors when observing big cats.
Seems completely unnecessary and dangerous.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

The 2 first videos are incredible, showing that leopards, like all cats, can't recognize themselves in a mirror. As far I know, only chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans, bottle-nose dolphins and orcas, are able to recognize themselves (I guess that elephants too).

On the issue of the mirror, I agree with @Pckts, it is too dangerous to use it with animals. Was the leopard injured after this? A cut with glass can be very serious.
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Mugger and Leopard interaction

2 users Like Pckts's post

Poland ryugenT24 Offline

there was something about the look in his eyes- he seemed possessed.

He was the biggest leopard I had ever seen

source ---> http://www.alaskabearsandwolves.com/incr...kavango-2/
4 users Like ryugenT24's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

Check this new article from National Geographic:

Learning to Live With Leopards
Link: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2015/1...15140751=1

It is amazing! Lol