There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Size of Okavango Delta Lions and Lionesses

Canada Dr Panthera Offline
Pharmacist and biologist

(02-06-2016, 04:44 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-06-2016, 04:00 AM)Dr Panthera Wrote:
(02-05-2016, 04:59 AM)tigerluver Wrote: @Dr_Panthera, do any of those sources produce measurements? If so, could you please share the full citation?

Those are trophy records from Safari Club International, you can only access the full reports ( the hunter report including measurements and the taxidermist and reviewer reports including more measurements) if you hunt and submit trophy yourself.
I requested info and better access even if I had to pay for it without me having to shoot an animal but I got zero cooperation once they knew my research interests versus hunting interests.
If full records are obtained we will have thousands of measurements for lions, leopards, and pumas , hundreds for cheetahs and jaguars ( plus thousands for brown bears and black bears and hundreds for other bears).
I will contact them again and share any info I obtain
If hunters really cared about "conservation" like so many claim you'd think they'd be happy to help a fellow enthusiast. We may not agree with each other but that shouldn't stop them from sharing information. Good luck in your inquiry, I'm rooting for you. Hopefully somebody is a little more helpful to you this time around.

Also, do you know the name of the veterinarian  involved in the timbavat lion?
And do you know where we can see this lion and measurements?

I do not remember the veterinarian name.
I do not consider Timbavati lions to be free-ranging, they are bred to provide white lions and large males for trophy hunting in semi-wild conditions, therefore I do not take Timbavati records as ones for free-ranging lions, like Kruger lions they will be 400-500 LBs with animals over that definitely exceptional.
5 users Like Dr Panthera's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Size of Okavango Delta Lions and Lionesses - Dr Panthera - 02-07-2016, 10:32 PM