There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Impressive Wild Jaguars - Pictures and Videos

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-24-2020, 07:12 PM)OncaAtrox Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 06:56 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 06:27 PM)OncaAtrox Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 06:06 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 06:00 PM)OncaAtrox Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 05:43 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 08:06 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 06:33 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 05:33 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 05:28 AM)Pckts Wrote: You must understand that measuring and weighing these cats does nothing for them in terms of conservation. 
Even radio collaring them doesn't really serve a purpose in terms of conservation, it helps understand their movement patterns but it's fairly simple, corridors need to be maintained so new Gene's can come and go. Some would argue that radio collaring and capturing does more harm than good with the deaths and poaching attached to them.

In terms of capturing, Panthera still has a few captures available in the north, they only get licensed to capture so many cats. But for whatever reason they haven't captured many lately.

Taking their measurements are key aspects of understanding their biology and you can't deny that compared to leopards or lions they are much less tracked and our information on their sizes is scarce. I'm sure these biologists want to track them just as much but as I said that takes resources from them so I don't blame them if they don't see the urgency. Still, I'm holding my hopes we'll get more weights and measurements in the future to increase our data.

But what good does understanding their biology do for conserving them?
Human curiosity makes us want to know as much as possible and its gotten us this far but it's also lead to the destruction of most of the natural world and extinction of many animals. Of course a biologist or zoologist will want to research these animals, it's their lifes purpose but do these animals need to be researched to survive?

That's not the point, all research is not supposed to be done entirely to find ways to preserve the species, sometimes biologists just want to collect data, more data allows us to understand them better and is more conclusive than guessing their biology/morphology. Plus there's no harm in actually tracking their measurements, the whole reason forums like this exist is to discuss those findings and debate them.
There are many forums, much of which dont care about sizes or vs outcomes 

And there is actual harm in measuring them. Big cats have died in the capture process *anesthesia overdose* as well as becoming human aggressive afterwards and man killers.

Also, I received word back from Paulo on Heros size, he said that Hero isn't close to one of the largest Jaguars in the North.

But in this forum we do, that's why we have e threads about these same measurements, and getting the data from biologists who will take as much care as possible of the animal is certainly more ethical than relying on hunting records of hundreds of massacred animals. I don't get what your point has been for this whole rant.
You want more measurements, I said that they dont necessarily serve a purpose, you said that is what forums are about and I said not all forums. You said no harm comes from tracking their measurements and I provided cases that proved otherwise.
Pretty straight forward, no?

I want measurements like everyone else in this thread does, their purpose is to gather information on the jaguars like they do with all other animals. You brought other forums and the "vs" debates that I never mentioned. You're trying to incite a back and forth that nobody asked you to.

Anyways, I'll make sure to update here when we get more measurements and photographic materials of more wild jaguars since that is the purpose of these threads.

We have a modern weight and measurements thread.
You participated in the back and forth, takes two to tango.
I'm just as interested in their size but my point was that it comes at a cost and usually it's not worth it which is why they are only allowed to do it under very regulated circumstances.

So that whole rant was for nothing because at the end of the day the whole purpose is to gather measurements. That is your opinion and mine is different. Great, moving on.

Huh?
Just because I'm interested in size doesnt mean I think they should continue the practice. 
Nice try though.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Impressive Wild Jaguars - Jubatus - 06-30-2014, 09:45 PM
RE: Impressive Wild Jaguars - Pictures and Videos - Pckts - 04-24-2020, 07:23 PM